Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. WatchNurse Aug 5, 2020

You brought up a great point. I'll use the example of the first higher tier watch I purchased, a tag heuer aquaracer 32mm. I purchased the watch new at $1120. I'm pretty sure that watch preowned is probably around $500-$800 range depending on condition. I would never sell it due to the emotional attachment I have towards it- I purchased it to mark my first nursing job/post-nursing school accomplishment and a watch I always admired. The same goes for the Snoopy watch. It has an attachment to my childhood growing up watching Charlie Brown/Snoopy/Peanuts. Whether the watch loses or gains 50% value, I would be perfectly okay with that.

Om3ga321 and rohnin like this.
  2. texasmade Aug 5, 2020

I bought my first nice watch at the Houston OB. It was the SM300m Pro 2220.80 and probably lost like 35% of its value the moment I walked out the door. I still have it and don’t plan on ever selling it.

Om3ga321 likes this.
  3. YY77 Aug 6, 2020

Recently went ahead with a service costing €415 on my TH Kirium chronometer which I purchased for the amount of €1K (about 35% below RRP) 20 years ago, my wallet didn't even twitch spending that on service for this watch which I will keep forever, although it's now only being used on holidays.

WatchNurse likes this.
  4. phooi Aug 6, 2020

I’ve never sold any of my watches. While I’ve been fortunate to acquire a few desirable pieces, I don’t buy with investment in mind. My 45th snoopy was purchased for my wife for Mother’s Day. She’s a huge snoopy fan and didn’t like wearing watches any more. It was serendipitous when I saw that watch and showed her. Her reaction was enough to go and get it. She loves wearing that watch. I had no idea at the time of its FUTURE value since the 1st snoopy was only selling for a slight premium in 2015.

Today, we’re at a different place with the snoopy. There is a lot of hype around the new watch. I put a deposit down knowing nothing other than it’s coming. But by having a deposit, it ensures that we will get the chance to decide if we like the watch. We will be free from the stress of chasing it with all those other people hoping to flip it. If we don’t like it, we’ll pass because owning it is not the same as keeping it for an investment.

On a side note for anyone planning to buy it from an OB. If you plan being able to acquire desirable Omega pieces from an OB, do not buy to flip this watch. I was told by my OB that they banned people who flipped the 45th snoopy. Those individuals will not be allowed to by this or any limited/desirable pieces.

WatchNurse likes this.
  5. SurvivingJoe Aug 6, 2020

How do the OB judge if those people filpped the LE they ordered?

6. EricCsN Aug 6, 2020

Nearly impossible to tell .. One buys from OB, it gets sold to another person who keeps it or passes it on. There is no return loop to Omega (unless it fails in a very very short time from date of release and needs to go back to Omega which is improbable). So no great deterrent to speculators though of course you have to leave your name with OB in the first place.

7. phooi Aug 6, 2020

With the 45th snoopy, there were only 1970 pieces. Every OB has the “serial #” of each piece sold. The story I heard was this person was able to get more than 1 and was found out. How? I wouldn’t know? Maybe the buyers called Omega to verify authenticity. Given the small # of pieces, Omega was probably sensitive to the flipping. It wouldn’t be hard not to track down the original sale.

8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 6, 2020

Hoping for a subtle anniversary Speedmaster... LtGeneral Thomas P. Stafford might be involved ... celebrating his 90th birthday :coffee:

WatchNurse likes this.
  9. WatchNurse Aug 6, 2020

That would be awesome! His birthday is the day after mine ;)

10. WatchNurse Aug 6, 2020

Lucky Wife! That's a great Mother's Day present and one I'm sure she'll always cherish.

phooi likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 6, 2020

The couldn’t...

This is how urban myths are started. “The story I heard was this person”

Pun likes this.
  12. jsducote Aug 8, 2020

We'd need our own section on Snopes for all the mythbusting. Might crash their servers.

13. pdxleaf ... Aug 8, 2020

The OF tracks flippers.

14. phooi Aug 10, 2020

Thanks! She does and we’re looking forward to see what the 50th will bring.

WatchNurse likes this.
  15. WatchNurse Aug 12, 2020

Missed Speedy Tuesday by a couple of hours. ;)

SpeedySnoopy.jpg
  16. stuart70 Aug 12, 2020

I spoke to my Local AD today and they had not heard anything in particular. They have had several people putting their names on a waiting list. They did confirm the price rise at the end of the month (6.5%).

17. WatchNurse Aug 12, 2020

Sorry, I think I missed it. What price rise are you referring to?

18. YY77 Aug 12, 2020

19. WatchNurse Aug 12, 2020

YY77 likes this.
  20. Martin_J_N Aug 12, 2020

I'm loving this conjecture on what this 50th Celebration will be, the fact that people are willing to part with large sums of money for a deposit on something that hasn't been announced yet is fascinating and thankfully not something we have to do here in the UK at this moment.

Assuming that Omega do announce a watch to celebrate the 50th anniversary of being presented with the Snoopy Award it is extremely unlikely that the watch will be in dealers in 2020, a few well chosen exceptions will get theirs of course, no one knows what the watch will look like, the numbers produced or what the cost will be.

My best guess is that the watch will be a numbered edition, it will be the run out of the 1861/63 movement, the run will end when all the movements are cleared from stock and it will be priced around £7500.

From 2021 all Speedmaster Moonwatch's will feature the new 3861 movement and at a vastly increased price, £7500.

stuart70 likes this.