Forums Latest Members

Octo Finissimo - am I crazy for considering?

1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 7, 2021

Agree with this sentiment. I a beautiful piece of design and technological prowess, but fell quite short for me on the wrist. These are a very niche watch I think.

2. bradurani Feb 7, 2021

A truly original design that required a huge amount of expensive R&D, at a time when most brands are just doing tired rehashes of old designs and taking old movements, adding power reserve, and calling them new.
    Buy it! In Titanium. The modern slavish devotion to steel is sooo tired. There are better materials.

Mediocre and sleepyastronaut like this.
  3. sleepyastronaut Feb 7, 2021

The steel with blue dial is also quite striking, as is the black sandblast-ceramic with contrasting indices.

Pic from timeandwatches.com

Bulgari-Octo-Finissimo-Steel-Blue-Dial-103431_006.jpg

Pic from monochrome-watches.com

Bulgari-Octo-Finissimo-Automatic-Black-Sandblast-Polished-Ceramic-Review-4.jpg

I have a GS Snowflake, so I'm with @bradurani +1 for titanium. IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the Octo Finissimo with an integrated bracelet. I'm just not a fan of the Octo Finissimo on a strap.

Also, don't confuse the Finissimo with the 'Bulgari Octo' which is an entirely different beast.

destroid, Mediocre and fraglerock like this.
  4. cvalue13 Feb 7, 2021

Not sure “entirely different” isn’t a b confusing: the Octo is the “regular” sized version of the watch, while the finissimo is the “ultra fine” (i.e., thin) version. Certainly different in that regard, but still only different in bring the original Genta design vs the thin version of same.

BTW, here’s a cute if pop little head-to-head-to-head (from Time & Tide) considering if the finissimo should be among a “new” holy trinity order: “The conclusion is that Bulgari, with its base model of the Finissimo in steel, belongs on the podium together with the Royal Oak and Nautilus, regardless of price or size, as the value is vastly more than the sum of its slimmed-down parts.”

Mediocre likes this.
  5. sleepyastronaut Feb 7, 2021

Personally, I find the thicker Octo unattractive. Not trying to split hairs, just trying to make sure there's no confusion, the thicker Octo and the Octo Finissimo have an entirely different presence. I would enjoy any Finissimo on a bracelet, but not interested in the thicker Octo at any price.

MTROIS and cvalue13 like this.
  6. rfcs Jun 5, 2021

D50DC7DB-FAFC-465D-AC22-4AA0DF756AED.png I’m reporting a quality problem with my sandblasted OF that I haven’t seen reported anywhere. Two weeks ago I purchased from my local AD an OF new in sandblasted steel and the case has signs of corrosion. There are spots of corrosion in the case joint with the bezel. My sandblasted steel model with the alligator strap came out in 2018 and was discontinued. This case is coated with palladium, rhodium and gold. I’ve searched all over the internet for prior reports of corrosion in Octo models but found none. My AD is apologetic and I’m looking at a refund toward a new replacement in SS not sandblasted. Have you heard of this problem before? I love the OF and it’s rare for me to want the same brand after having a quality problem but I do. The OF is a future classic. Fingers crossed.

Mediocre and cvalue13 like this.
  7. applebook Jun 5, 2021

You're not crazy at all. This is a very nice watch with a unique and interesting design. Will it hold its value? Possibly not, but then few watches not named Rolex do.

8. timoss Jun 6, 2021

Surprised to see this QC failure. Good thing you bought from the AD in this case rather than a private seller...

cvalue13 and MTROIS like this.
  9. rfcs Jun 7, 2021

310AC8C4-C419-47B4-AB66-C7C53544D843.jpeg Here’s an update on my return of the Octo F in sandblasted steel. The AD’s rep informed that the rhodium coated cases have been a hit and miss. Some show corrosion while others don’t. This 2018 model was discontinued. The AD took my return and applied the sale price plus tax toward a new Octo F Sport with the screw down crown 120 meter water resistance and black matte dial. It’s a gorgeous piece. I got posted anonymous in the AD’s social media. What a difference Bvlgari’s and Omega’s AD’s are from Rolex…

Mediocre and Pun like this.
  10. timeismoney Jun 8, 2021

That is an awesome site! Thank you for posting. @Geezer

rfcs likes this.
  11. rfcs Jun 8, 2021

My AD rep in the Bvlgari boutique is responsive and knowledgeable. Here’s the piece that I upgraded yesterday. It’s the Octo Finissimo S with the black lacquer dial. Stunning in person. Fits like a glove. Other comments worthy of note. Bvlgari does not publish anti magnetism and accuracy of these pieces. AD inquired from corporate and was told that the OF is accurate +|- 10 secs per day (not a chronometer) and has anti magnetic properties in its components (don’t know actual resistance to gauss). Either way I love this piece! DFC05255-92DE-4908-82F1-2B3A87CD42AE.jpeg

destroid, bbp, cvalue13 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Charger_Vital Jun 24, 2021

Looks killer. Send more pics

13. mzzleather Jun 24, 2021

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. bbp Jun 25, 2021

My current favorite.:)

1A04C3D1-AD6D-415A-9EF2-CBB0A6779739.jpeg
    cvalue13, Darlinboy, NGO1 and 3 others like this.
  15. rfcs Jun 25, 2021

It’s a truly stunning piece. My Octo FS to follow. D99B7B07-26C7-4B76-BAA2-697B3C493DBD.jpeg

bbp likes this.
  16. watchdanny Jun 27, 2021

Honestly, I don't think your crazy at all. It's a great watch. It's not a big clunk of jewlery like other bulgari watches. It is extremely innovative and hard to make. Just make sure you buy it cheap enough so you won't lose thousands on it if you choose to sell it.

17. watchdanny Jun 27, 2021

it'll be fine if you buy it right.

18. pumpernikiel Jul 22, 2021

I had a chance to try on the Ti version at AD about 2 years ago and was was very puzzled by it:
    1. It felt very odd because of its lightweight and flatness - i cound not feel having a watch on my wrist which actually bothered me a lot.
    2. the design for me was too quirky - i simply could not imagine myself being brave enough to wear it - maybe it sounds silly, but I just felt like this watch is too flamboyant for me

that was 2 years ago... and now... i am wondering whether not to reconsider as I start to see the things you guys raise here:
    - the design is still quite ostentatious in my view but on the other hand I agree with what was said here about the R&D that was put into that watch! How did they manage to keep it so thin? Now I start to truly admire it.
    - the way the bracelet is integrated with the case indeed pays a tribute to Nautilus and Royal Oak - but it is really not a copy cat but another brave take this sort of integrated design - very intriguing.

To conclude - I have moved to the camp which votes "buy it" and I have a question to owners - how does the weight compare between SS and Ti variants? Is SS considerably heavier?

19. rfcs Jul 22, 2021

Last time I checked the Octo SS on the bracelet feels perfect at roughly 66 grams. It’s light, thin, and very comfortable. For comparison an Aqua Terra with the rubber strap comes in at 90 grams or so.

I didn’t like the Octo Ti for it was too light and felt I was wearing no watch at all. I prefer the Octo SS all day.

pumpernikiel likes this.
  20. MTROIS Jul 22, 2021

I will say it again, this is just a wonderful watch on many levels... but, so far, I can not get out of my head the image I think I would be projecting when wearing this watch... something like the below, which I do NOT associate with. So, yeah, will just need to work on my mental barriers, or consider other watches.
    BB67F4BD-5370-4A18-BAC4-A83172CDE48C.jpeg

timoss likes this.