Forums Latest Members

Octo Finissimo - am I crazy for considering?

1. Walrus May 25, 2019

Dude if you can afford it and it won’t screw you up financially do it. It really is a nice piece of machinery. I have no clue if bvalgari loses a lot of value when you drive it off the lot but they could be a family thing anyway. My vote is do it. Just donate 100 bucks to charity after the purchase to atone a bit

Jamgantenk likes this.
  2. Sherbie May 29, 2019

Nope, you are not crazy

They look brilliant, feel fantastic on the wrist

But..........i’m on the fence about buying one too - not sure what it is, but something is holding me back too

But its yr money, and your wrist

3. wouter van wijk May 30, 2019

future icon in my book

wristpirate and cvalue13 like this.
  4. oaclondon May 30, 2019

These are hugely underrated. I personally just went for the octo in steel chrono. Love it because it’s a cool design and different.

544EF8D6-DAD4-48E0-9575-39956E89B6D0.jpeg
  5. jpjsavage May 31, 2019

Love the design, but not the price or the residuals. Buy it, wear it, keep it - whatever you do don't sell it.

6. LemansBoiler May 31, 2019

I didn’t like it in the pictures but it is great in person! I loved it once I had my hands on it.

If you can swing it, hard to beat the experience of buying new.

7. JAAA Jun 3, 2019

Def something to try before you buy. To me, the photos looked great, but trying it on was another story.

8. rcs914 Jun 3, 2019

I am in the camp of never being able to get over the name on the dial. It's a high end fashion watch. While I realize that Bvlgari is doing this in house vs contracting out, it is much the same to me as a Ferarri watch made by Panerai, or a Ralph Lauren watch made by JLC. It may be an interesting watch internally, or even for the design, but it says Bvlgari on it.

GuiltunderGlass likes this.
  9. dputydwg1 Jun 3, 2019

I only have one titanium watch but i love the matte look and light weight of titanium paul gerber synchron wrist shot.jpg

10. MTROIS Jun 6, 2019

11. dputydwg1 Jun 7, 2019

Thanks for that. I am appreciating it even more after seeing that

12. MTROIS Jun 7, 2019

Despite concerns from some about the value retention $$$-wise, I think these are beautiful pieces and I am very likely to add one in the future.
    Does anybody have first-hand experience when it comes to reliability of these movements (time-only at this point since the GMT chrono was just added...)?

cvalue13 likes this.
  13. dputydwg1 Jun 7, 2019

It shows as a F Piguet movement which I have always heard good things about

14. Matt87 Jun 14, 2019

The Bulgari is a lovely watch with an amazing Movement (for real... it is stunning!!!!), unfortunately it is just too big for my tiny wrist.

Regarding the GO Seventies chrono, I love it!!! ::love::::love::::love::

You can not really go wrong with either of those (of course, if, as you said, you are going to keep your timepiece!!)

15. Geezer Jun 30, 2019

The Bvlgari Octo Finissimo is fantastic! If I had the budget available at this moment, it is one of the few watches I would buy straight away. I would probably buy one slightly used though, or definitely at a good discount from retail.

I personally love how everything perfectly comes together in this piece, similar to the affect of how a Nautilus or Royal oak is more than the sum of its parts. Very bold and a statement, but somehow it works as all elements are consistent with each other.

Apart from the case design, I am extremely impressed with the movement. Not only its thinness, but also it's level of finish and decoration which to me seems to be on par with many higher end pieces such as AP, VC and dare I say PP. It is a question how prone it is to problems in the future. It is after all extremely thin with minor tolerances for the end shakes and divisions of the gear train.

Let's not forget that despite the connotation with a fashion brand, Bvlgari has a long history as a manufacturer of watches. Having lived in Neuchatel for a while, I vividly remember passing the impressive building of the Bvlgari watch factory that produced/assembled both Bvlgari and Gerald Genta pieces (at that time mostly with Girard Perregaux movements I think).

It is quite rare that I visit dealers to see a watch in person because I tend to feel completely out of place in the luxury environment, but for this watch I made an (unfortunate) exception. I visited a Bvlgari boutique who's staff is unfortunately not very knowledgeable and try too hard to make a sale. On the occasion I visited they only had one Octo Finissimo in their display, and I was surprised to see that the black cabochon/onyx on the crown had fallen off (leaving only a spot of glue). I pointed it out to the salesperson that the watch for sale is faulty, but they pretty much shrugged and didn't seem that bothered. Despite this experience, I am still very enthusiastic about the watch itself (less so about the sales staff).

One last point. I hope I don't break any rules with this, but please find in this link a very detailed deconstruction of the movement:

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/decon-bulgari-ceramic

timeismoney and MTROIS like this.
  16. loniscup Jul 1, 2019

+1 titanium over ss, it looks fantastic

17. yande Jul 1, 2019

I think I would spend most of my time looking through the case back. Love that movement.

18. gbr Jul 1, 2019

I would really love to have this watch, awesome. I think you should go ahead.

19. rolokr Jul 1, 2019

Try to find a used one for sure ! If money isn't a factor then buy it retail and take the hit !

Jamgantenk likes this.
  20. Jamgantenk Jul 5, 2019

So have you bought the watch yet?

Between the GO and Octo, i would go for the octo. It is once held the record of being the world thinnest watch.

Ive also considering it since the second hand price is way cheaper than the retail, so my advice is not to buy it at retail.

Now between the titanium and steel ive tried both of them and , i would go for the steel, but its a matter of personal preference.

E9531C7C-B325-4DA5-A287-AD368AA2E1C0.jpeg

2DD320EB-1457-491D-90CB-90D1B563FF4F.jpeg

But from what i saw at hodinkee sites i think that the 2019 black ceramic octo finissimo will be the best among this lines.