Forums Latest Members
  1. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

Hi I a a complete novice when it comes to watches but am in a lucky position to be able to buy myself a nice watch
    I have set my mind on a omega but the question is which one? I have had a De Ville in the past ( was stolen in a break in) It seems that i am needing to get dressed in a suit less and less so do not need a really smart ( dress?)watch so my thoughts have turned to something more casual so either a speedmaster or seamaster, would love opinions and pros and cons should add i have about 8k to spend
    Thanks for reading

Peter

2. dstfno Oct 7, 2020

It sounds like you're looking for 1 good watch to cover everything (although many of use started out that way and ended up having 5 :whistling:).

First of all, what is most important is that you like the look of the watch, regardless of which style it is. In a way, every mechanical watch is a dress watch nowadays. Nobody will give you weird looks if you'd wear a Speedmaster under your dress cuff.

When choosing a watch maybe you would want to have something that has a connection with a certain lifestyle or field of interest of you? Or one that adds to the image you want to project? For example, if you're a racing or space travel fan, the Speedmaster is the way to go. If you're more the underwater exploration guy, go for the Seamaster.

Another aspect to consider is water resistance. If you're someone who does (occasional) water activities it is nice to have a watch you don't have to take off when going in the water. That usually leads you to Omega's Seamaster range.

Personally, I like iconic watches that have a lot of history behind them. So when buying only 1 watch I would choose one of the heavy hitters of the brand you like most. Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Submariner, Breitling Navitimer, Zenith El Primero,...

I hope this helps and I'm sorry to hear your previous watch was stolen, I hope insurance covered it!

GreekOmega, Dedlock and peanuts66 like this.
  3. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

Thank you for your reply, yes insurance covered it thanks to my partner keeping receipt's etc ( if it was me they would of ended up in the bin years ago lol) i agree with you about wearing a speedmaster under a shirt not so sure about a seamaster though so i will need to take that into consideration

4. KiwiRob Oct 7, 2020

If you just want the one watch to meet all demands, sporty, looks good in a suit and you can swim with it the Seamaster Aqua Terra covers all bases.

5. Scooterino36 Oct 7, 2020

What I would recommend is to take your time. Omega’s catalog is extensive, so discovering your options and narrowing down your tastes will take time. Omega’s website is a good starting point to dive into the various sub models of each major line (you can filter by size, materials, movement type etc. to quickly weed out watches that do not suit you).

Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, reading/watching reviews online and on this forum is tremendously helpful.

“Measure twice, cut once.”

Enjoy the ride!

peanuts66 likes this.
  6. Bauhaus Oct 7, 2020

Great piece of advice. This will give you a “shortlist”.

Then the best thing to do is go to watch stores and try all the watches on this list. At least twice...

Some watches look boring on paper, but are really perfect on the wrist (like the Rolex Explorer for me). And the other way around.

Try, try, try and then go for what makes you smile most, not for the watch that just ticks all the boxes.

peanuts66 and dstfno like this.
  7. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

well the idea was to have just one watch but after reading this forum it seems that i need at least 5 different watches;) i then look at photos and think yes i could do with one of them and yes that is also a really nice watch maybe that one next year :D a very bad influence this forum and should come with a wallet warning

KiwiRob and Scooterino36 like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 7, 2020

My rules for expert advice are, I need

Age?
    Job?
    Most enjoyed and regular weekend activity?

And you can see my reply to last enquiring member in below thread

peanuts66 likes this.
  9. mjb Oct 7, 2020

I love the looks of my Seamaster but find that I prefer wearing the Speedmaster. As suggested above, look through the catalog, online or on paper, and then go to a store/boutique and try them all on. Take your time.

Quite often you can find these watches at a nice discount through the gray market, and maybe avoid some VAT, so with your budget and careful planning, you may be able to get two!

Scooterino36 likes this.
  10. dinexus Oct 7, 2020

Aqua Terra is probably the best GADA ("go-anywhere-do-anything") watch in Omega's catalog if you're feeling overwhelmed by choice. It's an excellent sport watch that dresses up or down with ease, and comes equipped with a hell of a movement.

peanuts66 likes this.
  11. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 7, 2020

8k in what currency? If GBP you could probably get both for not much more than that if you shop around.

peanuts66 likes this.
  12. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

after selling my business a couple of years ago i look after a few clients snack requirements from home ( food wholesales C&C etc) so dress more casual
    Hanging out with friends, family odd game of golf cooking

Peter

madjestikmoose likes this.
  13. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

Thanks for your reply
    Have been looking online and reading up on different watches and after looking i think i have narrowed it down to either seamaster or speedmaster

14. peanuts66 Oct 7, 2020

yes 8k British sterling

madjestikmoose likes this.
  15. Dedlock Oct 7, 2020

Dont be overwhelmed by Omega,'s catalogue its actually really fun to explore. I started with one watch and have gotten four over a coupleof years!

EVerybody's tastes vary most would say Aqua Terra and SPEEDMASTER but id recommend a railmaster. Also it depends alot on what is available with your ad and how much you can get it for, who knows you might stumble across some rare pieces.

Scooterino36 and peanuts66 like this.
  16. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 7, 2020

There we are - cooking! Bingo. It’s the Speedmaster you need. I use my chrono to time virtually everything I fry/grill/bbq/boil/oven etc.

peanuts66 likes this.
  17. riimar Oct 7, 2020

For 8k you could get atleast 2 nice watches used.

Sporty:
    Seamaster 300m (i just dont like the bracelet)
    Planet ocean, older version in 42mm or the newer one in 43.5mm (depending on your wrist and how big watches you like)

Classic
    Speedmaster 42mm hesalite

Dressier
    Omega deville tresor 40mm
    (Blue or white dial)

peanuts66 likes this.
  18. MtnMarine Oct 7, 2020

I have an older seamaster, a speedy and a Skyfall AT. The AT is by far the most versatile and most robust. I think it wears just as big as the moon watch, but the added water resistance is crucial.

GreekOmega and peanuts66 like this.
  19. MtnMarine Oct 7, 2020

GreekOmega and peanuts66 like this.
  20. Bp1000 Oct 7, 2020

I seem to have an issue with watches and can’t seem to decide on one or even a very small 3 watch collection.... but, if I did and had to choose 1 omega it would be this

[​IMG]

38mm
    Metas certified
    Gorgeous blue dial
    Date complication
    Smart casual but also waterproof strap
    150m water resistant
    Has a transparent caseback so you can see some of the movement.
    Simple, well proportioned and clean dial

truly exceptional movement all for less than 5k GBP. Also you can get a healthy discount on this one.

Plus you can dress it up easily with a leather strap.

I happen to think it looks incredible and a perfect one watch.

I would choose a speedmaster but it isn’t metas certified movement (1861), is quite big, looks best with hesalite which isn’t everyday practical, doesn’t have a date, is only 50m water resistant