New Rules Omega service 1st of May

If we paid for the old parts & own them, they should not be confiscated. Give us the option to have Omega dispose of them or return them to us.

If we don't truly own an Omega watch assembly, then they need to switch to a monthly subscription payment instead of an up-front purchase price.

Seriously, what does anyone do with a bag of replaced parts, it really only confirms that the parts were replaced during the service. I'm not surprised Omega changed their policy in this regard. And perhaps Omega found some of these parts were finding their way back into some watches.

You sell the worn out parts on eBay to unsuspecting buyers to recoup some of the service price!

I think it's the other way around, a pack costs $50 and full of parts to give new life

I think if this is true, it's to starve and deprive the vintage market further, in an attempt to drive up sales

I'd believe it, even though it seems like a baseless claim, I'd believe it because it's aligned with their anti right to repair stance

+100%

I am also skeptical of this change.

If true, why would they stop returning parts? They think it costs them money or prestige?

If money, it's costly in time or material. How much time does it take to track and ship a bag of parts? How much are those parts worth? Is Omega really concerned that a few people might put old pushers back in their watch and sell the new replaced pushers to someone, depriving Omega of the price of a couple pushers? Does Omega really think someone is going to swap back an old main spring and reuse it?

Is Omega worried about people buying parts from serviced watches that are old but claimed to be new? People can be cheats in all kinds of ways so I could believe someone would sell a gear as a good reusable part. But come on, how big a market is that and isn't that a problem for the buyer?

I will be more annoyed if I sent them my Speedmaster with a swapped dial and they didn't return my watch. I think they already do this so I would not send them my watch currently anyway.

If this is true, it is strange to consider these discussions and concerns taking place at the company. Seems like they'd have bigger issues.

If true probably an efficiency issue where you shave a few minutes off per serviced watch with the old parts just thrown out instead of being gathered and bagged.

Shrinkflation again, first oat milk then Omega service, whats next?

anyone sending a « Not for Sale » or « Prototype » to them ( normally not a lot 😀)) ) will be pounded by Omega as they own property.
This is particularly unfair as they might have been purchased legitimately.

The legalities of "confiscating" watches would be a mess, so this one strikes me as pure fantasy. Omega would get sued up the wazoo if they stole a watch from me...

Not sure how one could legitimatley purchase a "Not For Sale" watch.

Aside from Rolex, what other well known brands keep parts during service?

Spoke to someone that knows a bit and it will only be parts that have been upgraded from a few new model's and some parts they replace instead of servicing.

Many new references Omega replace parts automatically, regardless of whether or not they need replacing, because it’s their protocol.

The rest is internet mythology.

Not sure how one could legitimatley purchase a "Not For Sale" watch.

"Not for sale", but quite legally gifted/retained by Omega employees and/or other people in the circle where watches were often passed on after the initial "sale period" had expired.

Same with "prototypes".
I've heard of these just being given to Omega employees after the protoype phase had ended.
There were other accounts of some just "walking out the door".

I'd say current the Omega organisation would be hard pressed to prove that a NFS or prototype watch wasn't legitimately obtained, based on their record keeping in the past and their current performance in that area.

Of course, this is all "internet learning" for me, so it may or may not even be true.

Just like the OP.

Emailed the person who would be responsible for these changes at Omega in Canada - he's never heard of any of this, so unless Omega is expecting him to implement this on very short notice, I wouldn't put much faith in these claims.

Emailed the person who would be responsible for these changes at Omega in Canada - he's never heard of any of this, so unless Omega is expecting him to implement this on very short notice, I wouldn't put much faith in these claims.

That's encouraging. ::psy::
Would be a real bummer to see Omega implement that policy.

That's a relief. If OP made this thread to drive us nuts for a couple days they certainly achieved their goal 👍

FWIW: Just read about someone sending in their broad arrow for service in HK, and not getting replacement parts back.

Well, it's now May 10th. Has the sky fallen yet?
😀😀😀
Not long till 5/25!