Forums Latest Members
  1. gbesq Jul 5, 2019

I’m curious what more experienced forum members/collectors think about the effect that Omega service parts have on the value of a vintage aged watch. For example, what’s an appropriate percentage reduction if a stepped tritium dial has been replaced with a superluminova service dial? Same question for replacement hands, bezel, crystal, etc. I know that I’m speaking in generalities, but I may want to eventually start a collection and I’m wondering if an otherwise vintage watch with any service parts is a no go altogether or if some parts (the dial, eg) make more of a difference than others. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited Jul 5, 2019
    Etp095 and DaveK like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 5, 2019

Dial and Bezel are the worst thing for a vintage Speedmaster to be replaced.

A dial can mean half the price if a stepped dial is a service dial.
    A DON bezel can be $5K difference
    Hands are getting harder to find but less than above

Crystal is not that much of a issue

Always try to over pay for a great example than under pay for a watch with issues.

And remember this post

Etp095, OmeGez, Muddlerminnow and 4 others like this.
  3. gbesq Jul 5, 2019

Thank you. Pretty much as I thought.

4. Kazyole Jul 5, 2019

For me, coming from the perspective that if I'm buying a vintage omega it's probably a speedy, it all depends on how much I know I'm going to need to spend to make the watch right.

Crystal: Negligible difference

Crown/Pushers: Small difference. For example I just recently bought an ed white with incorrect pushers and crown. I know going in that the correct crown is going to cost me ~$500 and the correct short pushers are going to cost me ~$600 for a set, so I factored that in when I bought it. When it's done the watch will be correct again and no one really cares about those parts being replaced.

Bezel: Depends entirely on the watch. If it's a speedy that should have a DON, that's a big difference. Up to half the value of the watch if we're talking a 145.012. If it's a speedy from a few years later that needs a DN90, not so much. Either way, as long as it's priced in it's not a dealbreaker for me. Speedy bezels are expensive, but not exactly difficult to find.

Hands: Now we're into the territory where I probably won't buy the watch. Because now not only do I have to find correct hands but I also have to deal with them not matching the dial. So in addition to the cost of the hands I'm also looking at another couple hundred to have them relumed to match the dial, and then whenever I sell the watch there is going to be the caveat that the hands are redone. So at that point it's impossible to make the watch correct. Not that I personally have a huge issue with relumed hands, but unless the watch is a steal I'd rather hold out for an example without that issue.

Dial: Unless I had an original dial lined up I wouldn't touch it.

Edited Jul 5, 2019
    Edward53, Etp095, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 5, 2019

I wouldn’t be eventually starting a collection, I would be jumping on the horse now as it’s been running wild for a few years.

I was pIcking up DONs when they were expensive at $500 years ago.

Etp095, Foo2rama and Kazyole like this.
  6. Kazyole Jul 5, 2019

To add to this, prices are a little soft right now compared to how they've been for the past little bit. 145.012s are trading for below parts value at the moment. If you're thinking of getting on the train, it may be a good time to do it.

Etp095 and STANDY like this.
  7. WatchCor Jul 5, 2019

Agreed, and imho value depreciation is less if pushers or winding crown is changed. Although one would prefer an original flat foot crown on a speedy the gasket dries and if you plan to use it often thats a risk I would prefer not to take.

Every thread can be improved with a photo so my speedy for reference , service pushers cylinders with correct wide-short pushers for the CB and a modern replacement crown.
    IMG_20190705_105628.jpg

As I understand water usually seeps through the pushers and or the crown so that's why I preferred that they were serviced

Etp095 likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 5, 2019

oddly this is one of my favourite Speedmasters

@Barking mad made his own LE

32DE0674-979D-4517-9883-4BF66413CF81.jpeg

Etp095 likes this.
  9. KAP Jul 6, 2019

Beyond the Speedmaster, are there similar depressed values from the various service replacements parts of dress watches?

10. Kazyole Jul 6, 2019

The same general principles apply to all watches really. Replacement parts will always impact value, proportionate to the ease/cost of replacing those parts with correct vintage parts. Your dial is always going to represent a larger proportion of the value of the overall watch than its crown or pushers. And parts that are particularly difficult to source/replace are going to have a greater impact on value if they're missing.

Which is why when you're researching a new vintage purchase or considering a particular reference, it's always a good idea to acquaint yourself with parts costs/rarity for its components. That way you're able to determine whether or not a watch that has issues is worth your time/is discounted appropriately.

DaveK likes this.