New Planet Ocean - too bling?

Hi guys,

So I’ve just been into a local OB to try on a few bits that I’ve got my eye on and I thought I’d ask everyones’ opinion… is the current PO a bit too flash / bling?

I have a 1831 Speedy and am looking for a dive watch to add to the collection. The new watch would be something I wear every day, jeans and casual shirts, on the beach etc. with the Speedy probably becoming more of an ‘occasion’ watch (nice dinners etc).

Was pretty set on a 39.5mm blue PO paired with the rubber / cordura strap. Bit different in colour and design to the Speedy is what I’m looking for. However, trying it on I couldn’t help but think the numerals and indices especially were just very shiny - a bit too flash. Can any PO owners comment on whether that’s always the case, or just because I was trying on a brand new watch?

I found myself becoming drawn to the new 300MC, even though I prefer the overall form of the PO. Stick it on a NATO and it’ll probably be pretty timeless sports watch. I just wish the 300MC had a date function!

It’s a watch that I’ll never intend to sell, as the purchase is going to be timed with my wedding so will have sentimental value. If I’m dropping 5-6k on a watch I’ve saved hard for, I don’t want to think it’s aged badly in 5 / 10 / 30 years time and regret it. The PO 2500 has aged excellently, though I think it’s a bit more understated in its design, which is good in my eyes.

Anyone who’s owns the 88/8900 PO able to offer any insight?

Proper first world problems! Thanks for the help.

Edit: sorry for the bad photos by the way! Really not doing any of the watches justice.
Edited:

Get the one you feel YOU want mostly after seeing them, other people's opinions don't matter 😉

All very nice pieces.

You are correct in that it is definitely more bling due to the shiny dial and shiny numerals. I found the shiny numerals make it harder to read when in direct sunlight, which made me seek out a 2500D PO

i own the 43mm orange bezel white dial PO which is even more blingy. In person, I think it's not too flashy. The blue dial of the one you are considering may play it down some too. The appliced indices (number and markers) are super reflective and plays off the light well IMHO.

I’ve got both, but my two-tone 300 has more bling than my PO. Both are great though. I don’t ever feel that the PO is too much bling; with jeans or shorts. It’s just a great sports watch.
The vintage styling makes the 300MC a little more versatile, IMO.
I really don’t think you can possibly go wrong between them. Whichever one speaks to you.

In my opinion, The first gen PO and the liquid metal which was a transitional reference were the best PO. Check the Diver 300m see if that suits you more.

I have the new PO 39.5 in blue. I like it very much.
Yes, it certainly draws some attention. I can see that on the streets.

Get the one you feel YOU want mostly after seeing them, other people's opinions don't matter 😉

All very nice pieces.

The problem is that I just can’t decide! I really like the PO and think it’s a mega watch. I just can’t get past the feeling that it’s perhaps a bit too fashionable, in the way the 300MC or 300 diver are more functional - even though the PO is the 600m dive watch.

I’m half tempted to wait until 2022 and see if a possible new PO is a return to a slightly more understated design.

I’ve got both, but my two-tone 300 has more bling than my PO. Both are great though. I don’t ever feel that the PO is too much bling; with jeans or shorts. It’s just a great sports watch.
The vintage styling makes the 300MC a little more versatile, IMO.
I really don’t think you can possibly go wrong between them. Whichever one speaks to you.

Aye, yours is lovely though - rose gold?

Unfortunately, most luxury watches tend to get “blingy” as the design evolves. Just look at the evolution of the Submariner. The Speedmaster Pro is one of the view that hasn’t IMO.

I share your aversion to overly “blingy” watches and it is definitely something to consider before buying. As much as I liked my older Seamaster Pro, it did have a lot of bling with the polished pieces of the bracelet and the applied logo. I ultimately felt more comfortable with my Seamaster 300 MC, so sold it.

Good luck with your choice, either would make a great diver to compliment your Speedy.

Not too much bling. Just enough.I have the 39.5, can't speak to larger case POs.

I frequently wear my 43.5 PO with t-shirt and jeans. Folks tend to pay more attention to my shell cordovan shoes, than they do to that particular watch. While the flashy accents like applied hour markers, and ceramic dial, are quite loud when you look at the watch held up to your face... a yard away, they're hardly noticeable. The Planet Ocean feels invisible, compared to my other casual-dress dive watch, a 116613LB 2-tone Sub.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with the 8900 PO, over the 8800? From that first shot's angle, you definitely have the wrist to pull it off. Due to its end-link design and relatively short lugs, the PO doesn't wear too big. The 39.5 looks a little too small for your wrist, especially in the last photo. What really jumps at me is how short the lug-to-lug height of the 39.5 is, compared to your 1863 Speedmaster. Remember that this is designed to be a big, bulky, over-engineered dive watch. The 43.5 feels more fitting with its design ethos, than the more compact 39.5.

Additionally, I'd hold both of the 43.5 and 39.5 close to your ear, and just gently rotate / shake the watch a little. See if the rotor spin noise on the 39.5 bothers you. I was really annoyed at the sound that ceramic ball bearings noise that's characteristic of the 8800. I much prefer the completely-silent rotor action on the 8900. Plus if you travel a fair bit, the jumping hour hand on the 8900 will come in useful.

Lastly, as a side note, I personally find that between the 2 options, the modern PO is better suited for a special events than a Speedy Pro. Those polished accents that make the Planet Ocean blingy, really put on a spectacular show under artificial light. Be it candles at an intimate dinner, or under the bright lights of a concert hall or theater, the polished accents like applied markers and hands sparkle like jewels and playfully dance when wrist-rolling under the lights. In comparison, the matte dial and painted hour markers of the Speedy are quite dull under the same lighting conditions. I've always thought the PO looks better at night, and the Speedmaster wins out during the day.

There’s some bling in most modern watches, and don’t we all seek some bling in our watches? The PO is still mostly a tool watch, which offsets some of the flashiness.
I do appreciate how the shiny applied indices, numerals and logo, plus the hands, change their colors from bright/flashy to darker tones, depending on the surroundings and the angle of light.
My PO GMT is my daily watch, my wrist feels empty without it. And the geek in me appreciates the 8900 with its quick hour setting w/o hacking the second hand, great for traveling (once that becomes more frequent again…)

Was pretty set on a 39.5mm blue PO paired with the rubber / cordura strap. Bit different in colour and design to the Speedy is what I’m looking for. However, trying it on I couldn’t help but think the numerals and indices especially were just very shiny - a bit too flash.
Under the strong halogen lights in the boutiques most watches look too blingy. However, yes, the ceramic/liquid metal versions of the PO are on the shinier side.
If you wear your PO 39.5 with a Nato strap, they look much more casual.
They don't age at all (ceramic) apart from the usual hairline scratches on the steel case.

It's definitely got a little flash, but I love my 39.5 PO. I think the blue is a tad more flashy, so I got mine in black and I think it's a great option. Also, as others have said, pair it with a leather/rubber strap or a NATO and you'll make it appear even less flashy.

For me, buying the PO was a way to buy the best dive watch on the market. I've owned a Rolex Submariner, but the new PO exceeds it in every way, especially the 8800 movement. It's a Sub killer as far as I am concerned.

Agree with the previous comment. The shiny accents are only noticeable for the wearer, and they bring a smile to my face. In real-world wearing, the accents do disappear at a short distance, making it a relatively low-key watch IMHO.

I have a PO 8500 that I put on bracelet, NATO or OEM rubber strap depending on the mood. The 2500 and 8500 are easily dressed up or down with a band change. Their matte dials and bezels make them much more flexible from weekend casual on rubber or NATO to office or nice dinner out on the SS bracelet. I couldn't do a current model PO, too blingy for me. I'd be more likely looking at the Diver 300M.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with the 8900 PO, over the 8800? From that first shot's angle, you definitely have the wrist to pull it off. Due to its end-link design and relatively short lugs, the PO doesn't wear too big. The 39.5 looks a little too small for your wrist, especially in the last photo. What really jumps at me is how short the lug-to-lug height of the 39.5 is, compared to your 1863 Speedmaster. Remember that this is designed to be a big, bulky, over-engineered dive watch. The 43.5 feels more fitting with its design ethos, than the more compact 39.5.

Additionally, I'd hold both of the 43.5 and 39.5 close to your ear, and just gently rotate / shake the watch a little. See if the rotor spin noise on the 39.5 bothers you. I was really annoyed at the sound that ceramic ball bearings noise that's characteristic of the 8800. I much prefer the completely-silent rotor action on the 8900. Plus if you travel a fair bit, the jumping hour hand on the 8900 will come in useful.

Hi mate. To be honest I had originally picked out the 43.5mm but the bloke serving me went and got the 39.5 and his opinion was it suited me a little better. To be honest I was surprised at how small the 43.5mm came up. I wear a Garmin Fenix 5s a lot of the time (for work) and it felt smaller than that.

Guess I’ll have to go to the OB again and try them on for size one more time…. Shame