Forums Latest Members
  1. Mockbel Mar 3, 2021

Hi all.. I already posted this in an existing thread but thought of posting here too for more visibility.

I am in the market for a new watch and the new SMP Omega is on the top of my list.. However, I got a sudden cash shortage so I may not be able to get it at the moment... a used 2016 model with 2500 movement popped up for sale locally (in Egypt) and I still see it a stunning watch.. but I am not sure what am I loosing when I get the 2500 movement rather than the new 8800 movement?

I need some experienced advice, should I save up and wait to get the new one with 8800 movement or the 2016 one would do it justice with almost half the price of the new one?
    DE0FD507-4384-4D37-A928-CD841A7A2692.jpeg

flw, Walrus and DSotW like this.
  2. Crunchie Mar 3, 2021

I don’t know if you really lose a lot movement wise. Either should last you a lifetime with proper servicing.
    Mainly because it’ll last so long, I think it’s really important to buy the watch you want. If you buy the older model now, then can’t stop wishing you’d saved for the new model, you’ve not really gained anything.

TLDR: buy the watch you really want, even if you have to wait a while before you can.

3. Mockbel Mar 3, 2021

Well, I feel if I go either way, I will be happy and it will be a keeper.. from visual perspective, I have no concern on the 2016 model. Actually I feel the smaller size fits my wrist better. I am just afraid I miss a lot by not getting the 8800 movement

Crunchie likes this.
  4. vintage hab Mar 3, 2021

Buy the used on if you like it just as much, and then start saving for your next one. You’ll be further ahead. Good luck!

Mockbel likes this.
  5. Rado63 Mar 4, 2021

If buying the 2500 movement is your concern I wouldn't let that stop you. If the watch has been serviced by Omega they would have replaced parts that have been updated and the watch will run like a train, right on schedule.

6. Walrus Mar 4, 2021

That size thing is a major factor to me. I’d prefer what “fits better on my wrist”. I have no qualms buying used unless you have your heart set on that “new car smell” I’d prefer one I know I like the size of. That’s just me though, gotta do what’s going to make you the happiest I guess.

Mockbel likes this.
  7. Crunchie Mar 4, 2021

Yeah, if you’re happier with the size of the older model, definitely go for that.
    The saving should cover your first full service when it’s time, so any worries about the movement are dealt with there.

8. High Hope Mar 4, 2021

I’m in the “one little old lady” preowned car camp. There are many enthusiasts out there who pine for the next best thing, and, to me, having someone else take the depreciation loss is better than me taking it. I know you want a keeper, but why pay more if an enthusiast has a mint, complete kit?

I’ve been fortunate or right place / right time on my two Omegas. First is a big box barely worn Speedy, second is an SMP chronograph from a collector, complete, barely worn, and fully Omega serviced. To me, they may as well be new, and the Speedy was a private sale w no sales tax. The SMP was a trade-in to the original dealer, whom I bought it from in part trade. Tax was minimal, $1,000 differential between my Longines towards the OMEGA.

LarsJensen likes this.
  9. Mockbel Mar 5, 2021

Cool.. I think I will go to see this used SMP in person. It’s with box but no papers... would that affect the service thing by any means?

10. Crunchie Mar 5, 2021

Papers would be useful if you have doubts at all about the authenticity, but once it’s out of warranty, they don’t serve any other purpose.

Omega would have no reason to ask for any papers when you send in a watch for service.

Mockbel likes this.
  11. Borosilikat Mar 5, 2021

Imo it's a totally different watch and really you need to decide based more on styling and the case than the movement which one you prefer, movement wise obviously the modern is superior but either will last forever when serviced and keep accurate time when taken care off.

Mockbel likes this.
  12. Mockbel Mar 9, 2021

Well... I did it :)
    7C26995E-A445-4954-AD68-A54F60001AD8.jpeg BEC2D9FE-326D-4266-BB23-D91FF10EFB32.jpeg

Kiltie and vitriol like this.
  13. Ness Mar 9, 2021

You did well. Enjoy it.

Mockbel likes this.
  14. Wombat123 Mar 9, 2021

congrats, and enjoy!

Mockbel likes this.
  15. DoctorEvil Mar 9, 2021

Mockbel likes this.
  16. gbesq Mar 9, 2021

Great choice. I bought my SMPc at the end of 2018 after the 8800 had been introduced. After trying on both the new 8800 and the outgoing 2500d versions, I went with the latter. At the time, the co-axial 2500d had been around for some time and was a proven, reliable and accurate workhorse. I also liked the smaller case size, applied logo, no wave glossy dial, and the hippocampus engraving on the case back, all of which the new model lacks. No regrets.
    D4B98BBA-970E-4B74-B5D3-A1ADBD2BB929.jpeg

Mockbel likes this.
  17. Donn Chambers Mar 12, 2021

Very nice. I still prefer the last gen version over the newer one. Thought about selling mine and updating, but after seeing it in person, I decided not to. While I like the new movement, hands, and date window placement, I find the new one just a little too thick and it’s enough bigger lug-to-lug it doesn’t fit my wrist as well. Also not a fan of the wave dial on any of them except the white - it works on that one.

Mockbel likes this.
  18. BAJJ Mar 12, 2021

Well wear, Mine says hi, it's a 2016 as well.:thumbsup:, bought new and well worn since, through everything, it is a very strong watch, I've fairly abused it for these 5 years and it hasn't had any issues
    IMG_20201006_142051.jpg

Mockbel likes this.