Forums Latest Members
  1. SLR1991 Jun 4, 2021

Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first Omega (and "proper" watch), I'd intended to buy used as I thought I'd get more watch for my money so to speak.

I've been looking around for a while now and have my eye on a De Ville Prestige Co-Axial, I'd found a 2013 model on watchfinder for £2,900, however having then had a further look online, what appears to be a very similar model (slightly smaller case admittedly) brand new is only £3,060.

I'd want to try on anything before I bought it so not necessarily this watch, but just generally, is there value in buying an older watch or should I just look at new?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious that's drastically affecting the price but just a little confused at the moment and would appreciate some help/advice.

2. Barqy Jun 4, 2021

I'm definitely a fan of trying before buying, especially when you're laying out some serious coin.

Step 1, find the model and size you fancy. Step 2 do a pros and cons of used vs. new and select the option that is most comfortable to you.

I went through this journey just recently and bought from an AD for comfort, warranty, etc. Yes, I definitely paid more vs grey market, but I was comfortable doing so as my Omega AT is my first luxury watch.

Happy hunting!

Commisar and havanaomega like this.
  3. f3dbca Jun 4, 2021

I think “value” can be a misleading term.

Define your budget, find a watch you love, find an example in the best condition you can within that budget regardless of it being new or vintage/out of production. In my opinion that is how to achieve value when buying watches.

Make sure you factor in the cost of a service when budgeting if you’re buying something which haven’t been serviced in 5+ years.

Commisar likes this.
  4. Crunchie Jun 4, 2021

Watchfinder pricing is a little odd at times. As an example, they have about a dozen Tudor GMTs at well over RRP, despite it being in the window of every branch of Goldsmiths and Ernest Jones at the moment.

If it’s a first big purchase, take your time, try to pick something you think you’ll keep for ever, and don’t be afraid to boost your buying power by using interest free credit - get the watch you want and get your name on the warranty card, rather than compromising on a used watch with someone else’s dead skin on the back!

Gixnic, Commisar, NGO1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. tenvol98 Jun 4, 2021

Agree with @f3dbca . I went new route and haven't regretted it but I think honestly....its about budget and what watch you want. 100 percent try on what you want or similar.

Can't speak to the De Ville but I purchased a new speedy and while I hope I never have to use it I have peace of mind with a 5 year warranty. Regarding more watch for your money thats tuff. I am sure others will correct me but similar to car once i stepped out my watch lost "value." That being said you can hopefully find similar "used" that should be less on grey...but I never intend to sell so its all relative

havanaomega likes this.
  6. Donn Chambers Jun 4, 2021

Unless you are knowledgeable about the used watch you are looking at in order to identify fakes AND account for a full service after you get it when considering the price, just buy new. You can generally get at least a 15% discount on Omegas (other than the Speedmaster) if you ask.

I mention the service, because even though a lot of used watches are advertised as “working perfectly, just serviced” they rarely have been serviced. The seller may have put it on a timegrapher and adjusted the balance to make it look like it was within specs, but that’s a temporary fix. Kind of like used car sellers flashing the codes on a car so they don’t show up for a week or so. The underlying problem is still there. Whenever I purchase a used watch, I expect to have it serviced almost immediately unless I have a written guarantee from a reputable watchmaker that it has a complete overhaul.

Because of this, I always recommend buying new to novice watch buyers — you are less likely to be disappointed with a high repair bill shortly after the purchase.

OMEGAWD2020 likes this.
  7. PandaSPUR Jun 4, 2021

I got my first Omega from a boutique and have 0 regrets. Great service and I had a good time with the sales rep.

Aside from the fun experience, if this is your first time getting an Omega or any "proper" watch, I think its worth going into a store and trying a bunch of things on. Of course, if you do that, I think you should also make your actual purchase from the same dealer. I understand people want to save money, but if a dealer is kind, knowledgeable, and spends time helping you out then you should buy from them instead of going online afterwards for the actual purchase.

8. Alfista88 Jun 5, 2021

For that price difference, definitely buy new. All new Omega sales come with 5 year warranties now.

Like cars... the pricing on many used watches have spiked up over the past year. For stainless steel watches, especially popular models like Speedmasters, Seamasters, buying used isn't the value it once was.

If going gold though, I'd highly recommend going used or buying a BNIB example from a grey market dealer.

Commisar likes this.
  9. Jkbenn02 Jun 7, 2021

Mine was brand new original owner

10. Jkbenn02 Jun 7, 2021

With complete warranty

11. Cenzo Jun 7, 2021

I bought my Speedmaster New from someone on Omega Forums a few years back. His price wasn't that much more than a used one. Plus it had a 5 year warranty.

My advice is
    Don't be in a hurry
    Do your research
    Have a few options to weigh and pick the one that's best for you.

Good luck!

Commisar likes this.
  12. vadimo Jun 7, 2021

Small money difference go for new and its your from its birth

Becareful some people may sell used watch without realising they have fake watch.

OMEGAWD2020 and GooLooGooLoo like this.
  13. SLR1991 Jun 9, 2021

Cheers for all the replies, I'll try to get to an Omega store and have a try of a few. Those who mentioned getting a discount from Omega, is this just in store or online also? Is it just a case of asking? I'd assumed that prices would be extremely fixed in places like that.

14. vadimo Jun 9, 2021

I suspect omega will offer little discount under 5% maybe, these 2 i found will offer 10-15%
    https://www.beards.co.uk
    https://www.pleasanceandharper.co.uk - this one also can be used with extra 5% cashback on topcashback website

15. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

I've had around 10% discount from an OB before (in the US).
    Doubt the Omega website will negotiate though.

16. passingtime Jun 9, 2021

It really depends on what you are buying. For example, I bought my first nicer watch new from an AD almost 10 years ago now. At the time I absolutely loved everything about it However, tastes and preferences change over the years and now I don't care for that particular watch anymore and consequently, don't ever wear it. Apparently, neither does anyone else because it's only worth about 30% of what I paid for it new. Your mileage may vary depending on what you are buying, but I think it prudent to go in with the mindset that it's possible you may fall out of love with your purchase, and sooner than you might think. Therefore, I'd go for maximum value...Previously loved.

OMEGAWD2020 and Alfista88 like this.
  17. Barqy Jun 9, 2021

When I dealt with my AD, they could verbaly provide a discount over the phone, and basically said they could talk more seriously once you enter the store and speak face to face. From their angle, they know that they are more likely to close a sale that way.

For the De Ville line up, I would expect you could see a 10-25% discount as I don't think that line of watches flies of the shelves per se.

I received almost 20% on my new AT a few months back. So that's where my range comes from on the De Ville comment.

Commisar likes this.
  18. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

I'm hoping to get something similar when I go back to my OB for the new 2021 Tresors.

19. Alfista88 Jun 9, 2021

For this model, you absolutely can score a sizeable discount. Dress / casual watches like the De Ville, Constellation, Globemasters, sell brand-new-in-box from grey sellers (with stamped warranty cards) for 20 - 40% off MSRP.

The # of AD's who are willing match that aren't plentiful as it was 5-10 years ago, but you'll find them after looking. I'm sure forum members in the UK can give you some suggestions. If you have a trip to the U.S, anytime in the near future, I can PM you a couple AD's who are willing to sell via the phone/online with sizeable discounts on a De Ville.

Commisar likes this.
  20. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

Yea I was looking on Chrono24 at the current Tresors to see what kind of room for negotiation I have later. I'd be happy with a 15-20% discount from the Boutique here in NYC since I'd like to keep building my relationship with them (I like the sales associate I deal with and I want the damn snoopy lol).

Alfista88 likes this.