Forums Latest Members

Aqua Terra - better to buy new or slightly used?

1. sternoptyx Dec 1, 2021

I am considering getting a blue dial aqua terra 41mm as my daily wearer, but I wanted to get some opinions on whether it would be better to get a new one directly from the AD or go to a used dealer and try to snag one in good shape that is from the last few years.

Is there anything I am overlooking upgrade wise to the newest models that would make it a mistake to go for a cheaper used model?

jyles_baldemor likes this.
  2. richiv Dec 1, 2021

3. sternoptyx Dec 1, 2021

richiv likes this.
  4. 140dave Dec 1, 2021

The dealers in online marketplaces like the sellers forum often have great prices, many AD’s will match them.

There is nothing wrong with a solid preowned piece. If you are looking for value that is the way to go. Omega takes a hit in value on new to used, depending on model, but once they take that initial hit they hold value fairly well.

Forever watch to commemorate an occasion? New.
    First “nice”watch….tough to know if your tastes may change so I personally went with a nice lightly used one to start and went from there.

LGW - US and richiv like this.
  5. Walrus Dec 1, 2021

I don’t mind used at all but it could be partly because half my watches are older than me anyway. I imagine it’s cool buying something brand new from an AD or OB and I hope to try that someday although I won’t be overly disappointed if I don’t.

6. sternoptyx Dec 1, 2021

Interesting to hear they might be willing to match. It is somewhat of an occasion, finishing up grad school and starting a new job, so I will look into trying to go through the online dealers or get an AD to match. Thanks!

arpadster1970 and Walrus like this.
  7. Crunchie Dec 1, 2021

Buy it new from a dealer and get your name on the paperwork.

Wear it every day.

Stay off watch sites.

Only way to keep your finances and your sanity intact

8. Walrus Dec 1, 2021

He’s probably gonna be sucked in as soon as he buys one, what good is one watch

9. Crunchie Dec 1, 2021

It’s not too late for him, he could still save himself.

Let’s be fair, if you’re going to go for one watch for work, rest, and play, that Aqua Terra could well be it.

10. richiv Dec 2, 2021

I have found the prices to be better than I can get from my AD. Depending on the dealer and your location you may also not have to pay sales tax.

arpadster1970 likes this.
  11. Tannhjulet Dec 2, 2021

I would get a brand new, from AD. A few grey market dealers remove the papers. Like chronometer certificates and warranty card. If its dealers like Joma shop etc.

arpadster1970 and sternoptyx like this.
  12. arpadster1970 Apr 4, 2022

Yah I was The AD they would only give 5% discount on the AQUA CAN YOU GET MORE FROM AD

13. hen Apr 5, 2022

Erased post

Edited Apr 5, 2022
  14. Omega D Apr 5, 2022

If it is your one good watch and you are sure of the model buy from AD. If your savvy you should still get a 5% discount.

If you think you will flip it in the future buy from a reputable pre owned dealer. If your patient you might find a serviced example with Omega paperwork and warranty. The correct pre owned watch will save you money.

Do what your comfortable with, put on the watch and enjoy.

15. scapa Apr 5, 2022

I own the same one, bought it used but unworn from a dealer -- and it actually was unworn, right down to the stickering and bracelet wrap and the full warranty intact. It's a stunning watch that is well worth its asking, and if it's one you plan to keep then spending a bit extra on new or nearly new with all the trimmings is the way to go, IMO.

16. 4011021 Apr 5, 2022

If you consider buying used, you may also consider buying the older model. The blue one is very similar, with a few differences:
    - older has 8500 movement (non master chronometer certificate).
    - older has asymmetrical case with crown guard.
    - older has the date window at 3 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock.
    - new model is a bit taller; older is a bit bigger (lug to lug is longer, and dial 41.5mm instead of 41, although I think the older one might look smaller due to the asymmetrical case).
    - older has vertical dial stripes instead of horizontal stripes in the new one.
    - older black dial is more reflective than the new one, maybe the blue is the same.
    - three lines of writing on the older dial instead of two in the new model.
    See the older model here: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...r-co-axial-chronometer-41-5-mm-23113422103001

Edited Apr 5, 2022
    LGW - US likes this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 5, 2022

When and if buying "used" I have always preferred "once loved" :rolleyes:

jyles_baldemor and LGW - US like this.
  18. Omega D Apr 6, 2022

How about a Date Just 41?

19. Scooterino36 Apr 6, 2022

Im partial to the 8500 series of the Aqua Terra, and you would get a much better price pre-owned vs. the newest generation.

Screenshot_20220406-074917.png
  20. nicolamilton Apr 6, 2022

I would avoid 8500 movement, due to jumping hours issue.

LGW - US likes this.