Forums Latest Members

New member from sunny Northern Ireland with a new (to me) Speedmaster

1. JungleJim May 23, 2021

Hi all,
    Just wanted to check in and say hi. I have been interested in watches for quite a few years and have a small collection of Bulova Accutrons, Seikos and the like. I have an Omega f300, but recently came across a Speedmaster locally and couldn't pass it. I have been looking through the forums to help me check it out and am looking forward to learning some more.. It was sold to me as a 66-67, but it is much earlier and I believe it to be a 105.002 from around '63. It has been well loved by the previous (1st) owner and is on a well worn 7912 bracelet and no.6 ends.
    Thanks.

20210511_193619.jpg
    Edited May 23, 2021
  2. Alex Cheers May 24, 2021

Welcome ::rimshot::
    Do you have pictures of the movement and the inside of the caseback? Would help to find out more about your Speedmaster ::popcorn::

JungleJim likes this.
  3. BAJJ May 24, 2021

Welcome, from the not so sunny South of Ireland:). Nice speedy, not a model I am into the much, I'm more of a fan of the three hand Omegas. Lots of genuine experts here thst will be happy to help no doubt.

JungleJim likes this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 24, 2021

I think your theory could be correct, based on the dial (ie that it’s 105.002). The hands though, are so thickly re-painted (and the plots missing) it makes me wonder about the watch as a whole. You should open it up and post movement shots and a caseback shot with all numbers clearly in focus.

Larry S, Foo2rama and JungleJim like this.
  5. jeppe888 May 24, 2021

hi and welcome to the forum - good looking watch, not difficult to understand why you could not pass that

Duracuir1 and JungleJim like this.
  6. JungleJim May 25, 2021

Thanks all for the kind welcome and for the comments. I fell in love as soon as I seen this watch... Yes, it has lots of flaws, but I believe that it was serviced by the same watchmaker for the majority of its life and the then owner was keen to keep it original. In saying that, I know that the case back is wrong (or is it?).. Whatever happened over the years, I am unsure, but it would seem that an incorrect one was fitted. A real shame, as the correct one would be very nice to have. The movement is a 321 with serial number 20521XXX, so this points to around 1963. The dial, being a Swiss Made dial with not 'T' would point to it being a 105-002 and not the 105-003, (please correct me if needed). I will post some photos and if you guys could share your thoughts, I would appreciate it. The watch was a keeper, and the previous owner wore it from the time he bought it until around last year. Please be kind as I am extremely interested in the history, but my knowledge is somewhat lacking...
    Apologies for some of the poor photos..

Speedy 1.jpg Speedy 2.jpg speedy 4.jpg Speedy 6.jpg
    Edited May 25, 2021
    Duracuir1 and Alex Cheers like this.
  7. Caliber561 May 25, 2021

Indeed, 105.012 would be a professional reference, not a straight-lug Speedmaster.

JungleJim likes this.
  8. JungleJim May 25, 2021

Absolutely, but it ties in with when the watch was bought originally. I wonder did the retailer sell this chap a watch with a '66 case back, telling him it was a '66 watch, or was it changed later in life?

9. JungleJim May 25, 2021

One problem that I have with the watch is that it is too small for my wrist. Where could I get a couple of expanding links and how much would I expect to pay for them?
    Thanks.

10. mountainunder May 26, 2021

Welcome to the Omega Forum!
    Nice to meet you.:)

For expanding links, you might want to look on ebay, Chrono24, the "WATCH PARTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR SALE" forum on the Omega forum, etc.

You can find Uncle Seiko and Forstner bracelets as general purpose flat link bracelets.
    There are reviews in this thread.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...tnerbands-flatlink-a-pictorial-review.120591/

Many people enjoy them with leather straps or NATO straps.

JungleJim likes this.
  11. JungleJim May 26, 2021

Thanks for the kind welcome. I will certainly have a look at those indeed I seen the forstner flatlands but havnt bought one yet. The nato strap sound appealing though..

mountainunder likes this.
  12. Passover May 31, 2021

If you should decide to keep the 7912 - flexible links sell for around 80€ on ebay if you have a littel patience

If you should decide to go for Uncle Seiko / Forstner be aware that 6 endlinks in original condition
    are worth a little fortune, the 7912 is also desireable

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2021

Could have been pure carelessness by a watchmaker.

gemini4 likes this.
  14. FrenchBigCrown May 31, 2021

Welcome. :thumbsup:

Nice find. :)

15. JungleJim Jun 2, 2021

Indeed, I believe that might be the case. The previous owner just wanted the watch serviced, and the watchmaker done just that. Out there somewhere, the is a '66 Speedmaster with a '62 caseback..

Edited Jun 2, 2021
    Larry S likes this.
  16. JungleJim Jun 2, 2021

Thank you for the kind welcome. I'm very happy with the watch. It is somewhat rough around the edges, but it all ties in with the age, (apart from the caseback)..

17. JungleJim Jun 2, 2021

Thank you for the information. I have been looking on the auction sites, but have seen nothing as yet. I'm sure something will come along. I will be keeping the 7912 with the rest of the watch as I believe that it was purchased that way. I'll keep looking..

18. Jkbenn02 Jun 4, 2021

Welcome

JungleJim likes this.