Forums Latest Members

New member, ex-lurker from Hampshire UK

1. amfalconer Feb 17, 2020

Evening all,

Just wanted to drop a quick introduction thread, my name is Andy and I've recently joined the community after lurking for the past couple of years.

First things first, and I'm ashamed to admit it, I'd always (falsely) assumed Omega to be a poor relation to Rolex, please don't blame me, I fell into the typical conditioning, especially having family members extolling their virtues.

Having taken a bit more time to read about the history of both along with the innovations pioneered by Omega, I'm pleased to admit I was dead wrong!!

Whilst I'm getting everything off my chest, I should also admit I really like the Speedmaster TinTin, which seems to be an unpopular opinion!

I suppose I've always been into my watches, probably from more of an aesthetic perspective than much else, but I got my first Omega last year, a standard Hesalite Speedy, which I absolutely love to bits, and already have a boatload of straps for it.

I'm hoping in coming years to add to my collection, currently housing a '73 Seiko 6138 Jumbo Chrono and a Casio CA-53W Calculator watch - which I bought purely for nostalgia reasons.

On the wish list is a blue dial Globemaster on leather to cover the dressier aspect, a Rolex GMT 16700 which I'm in line to inherit (I should probably admit I'd rather the owner remained around quite a while longer), but the grail will always be a VC Historique American 1921 - very unlikely but I can always dream!

Anyway, that's a bit about me, looking forward to being a member of the community and learning a bit, or a lot more!

Should anyone be in Hampshire UK, swing by Carter Marsh in Winchester, they have a decent selection of watches, including a couple of Ed Whites, a WatchCo SM300 (I think) and an ST2 Ultraman amongst a smattering of DJ Rolexes, a Nautilus Moonphase and a few other interesting pieces - I'm in no way affiliated with them, I just pass by it on the way to and from work and always have to have a nose in the window.

DaveK, davidswiss, murph and 16 others like this.
  2. Nathan1967 Feb 18, 2020

Welcome to the forum!

I’m not too far away from you, in South Oxfordshire.

Edited Feb 18, 2020
    amfalconer likes this.
  3. Madjam1966 Feb 18, 2020

Welcome

amfalconer likes this.
  4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 18, 2020

Welcome from a fellow member also in Hampshire (Amazingstoke ;))

5. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Eastleigh for me!

Nathan1967 and Gav1967 like this.
  6. ICONO Feb 18, 2020

Lancashire Coast and Manchester here

A Warm Welcome…

amfalconer likes this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 18, 2020

Great wishlist :thumbsup: Love the Historique, and the Globemaster is a solid piece of engineering...sounds like you will fit right in here...welcome Sir!

amfalconer likes this.
  8. ChrisN Feb 18, 2020

Welcome - I'm in Somerset, close to Yeovil.

Cheers, Chris

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  9. neilfrancis Feb 18, 2020

I can't read, and I can't write,
    But that don't really matter
    I come up yer from Wiltshire
    An' I can drive a tractor.

Salisbury, to be precise. Welcome to OF. Pictures!

Nathan1967, amfalconer and Gav1967 like this.
  10. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 18, 2020

Hampshire born
    Hampshire bred
    Strong in th'arm
    Thick in t'head

ICONO, Als 27 and amfalconer like this.
  11. SouthernScot Feb 18, 2020

Welcome to the forum, if you’ve been lurking for a couple of years you’ll have a pretty good idea of what it’s all about.
    I claim to be closest to you! Boyatt Wood, Eastleigh. Like your reference to Carter Marsh, always enjoy looking in their window when in Winchester, (too much according to my wife). Also like Burrell’s, friendly and helpful people.
    Enjoy the forum.

Als 27 and amfalconer like this.
  12. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 18, 2020

Another Somerset welcome. Happy collecting.

nonuffinkbloke and amfalconer like this.
  13. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

Crikey, you are close! I'm on Bournemouth Road myself.

Burrells are decent, I'm often drooling at the Fifty Fathoms on display in their window - i did have cause for concern when I thought my Speedmaster was gaining, so popped into Burrells, the lovely lady (also wearing a Speedmaster I might add) said whilst there was nothing they could do in store, she was happy to discuss other bits and bobs with me, especially wait lists for the Tudor Black bay series, and she did try her hardest to get me to buy the Blancpain...

SouthernScot likes this.
  14. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

I'm trying to like all posts and reply where possible, but thank you all for the warm welcome!

SouthernScot likes this.
  15. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

16. Capt Cave Man Feb 18, 2020

Welcome to the madhouse :thumbsup:

amfalconer likes this.
  17. SouthernScot Feb 18, 2020

It’s a small world! Talking of Tudor I got my GMT from Burrell’s and they were excellent. They managed to get one in under three months which meant a quick reappraisal of finances as I expected to be waiting until March this year!

18. amfalconer Feb 18, 2020

It certainly is, they were quite insistent they could get one in in short order - ever the sales people!

How do you find the Tudor? I was quite keen on one of those or the BB58, but glad I opted for the Speedmaster in the end - still never seen one in the wild.

I have a soft spot for the GMT, especially as my dad has the GMT Master with the Pepsi bezel, nicely faded down and patinated - this is the one I may be in line to inherit, providing my brother doesn't jump in beforehand - brother has a 2018 Seamaster 300 with the plain dial, so he won't be missing out. ;)

Edited Apr 12, 2020
    SouthernScot likes this.
  19. Wivac Terribly special Feb 18, 2020

Howdy.
    * Waves from Berkshire.

Nathan1967, Gav1967 and amfalconer like this.
  20. SouthernScot Feb 18, 2020

I love the GMT it has become pretty much my daily wearer, even ahead of my Speedies which now spend most of the time in the safe!

amfalconer likes this.