Forums Latest Members

New (improved) process for Omega Extract of the Archives

1. jeppehh Aug 13, 2019

Just received my PDF today. Very quick turnaround. :thumbsup:

Looks like there won’t be as long a wait as could be expected coming out of the maintenance freeze.

eugeneandresson and JanV like this.
  2. JanV Aug 13, 2019

Yes, same here. Ordered 6th of August, today received a confirmation and the pdf file online. Quick turnaround and don’t need to be anxiously circling the mailbox anymore. :) Delivered to Iran.

E00F6FFE-7235-4041-9B79-9EE76FF58361.jpeg
    jeppehh likes this.
  3. MRC Aug 13, 2019

Just Electronic Mail. For people with a computer but no network connections another programer & I wrote a package that worked over the Telex network. If you were sending to another computer of the same make and with the right modem it arrived as a text file, or it could go to a Telex machine. It would also receive regular Telexes and save them as text files. Telex charges were a lot less than network costs.

Never sold any, our parent company said to knock it off and concentrate on supporting our CAD-CAM resellers.

kkt likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2019

At that time, probably so.

We used to have accounts with virtual "money" from the University. It would cost so many cents per hour to be online, and the rates would vary based on the time of day.

I absolutely hated using the punch machines to create IBM cards with the coding for programs, so I would use the CRT terminals to do my batch processed assignments. I could run the account into a deficit, so long as I didn't log off, as the professors always restored the accounts to the same balance regardless of the negative amount.

Those were the days.
    gatorcpa

kkt likes this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 13, 2019

My engineering school switched from mainframe to PCs for my Freshman year, but at that point it was via a couple PC labs as they did not require students to own PCs until the class that started the following year. It was typical to only get a timeslot for a PC after 10 pm at night. You had to 'check out' the 5-1/2 inch floppies containing the programs at the front desk, and bring your own floppy to store your data/ results. Senior year I worked on a project for a research professor that required using a structural analysis program that was only available on the mainframe. The professor had to hire a computer science major to make all the punch cards for the hundreds of calculations I needed run. These days I could probably handle the whole thing on a phone app in about 10 minutes.

When I interned the summer before my senior year, the engineering company had just acquired two PCs set up with AutoCad. Version/ Release 2.0. The PCs needed special RAM added (1 MB!!!!), math co-processor chips and 20 MB hard drives. Each setup was over $5k USD in 1986. And watching the pen plotter do it's thing was always a site to behold. Especially when a pen would dry up or skip 15 minutes into a plot that took 20 minutes.

Good times. :D

kkt likes this.
  6. Petervl Aug 13, 2019

I did not know there still existed faxes ? Have not seen one over here in 10 years at least………… :)

JimJupiter likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2019

The system our school used was a Vax based mainframe. I think it was an 11/780, and the CAD package was Applicon 1.5...

I recall the systems guy telling me that a three terminal set for the CAD was around $300k, not including the mainframe. I also spent many nights in the lab, booking one of the 10 or so terminals in the wee hours of the morning.

I also had classes he used a drafting board, so part way through my first year I bought my own board and had it in my room so I didn’t have to trudge off to campus to do some drawing work for a tool design course or whatever.

Got out into industry, and spent the first 4 years or so drawing on a board on Mylar film with those awful leads that had wax or something in them so they would transfer to the film. They would snap all the time with only slight pressure and several times I had lead chunks fly into my eye...

The CAD package the company picked was one very few other companies used in North America, and the names changed over time, and the only one I can remember was “Cornerstone” but I can’t recall the parent company. We all thought the reason they didn’t use Auto-Cad is they didn’t want us to have marketable experience on a platform, so we wouldn’t be as attractive to other employers.

Lots of memories....

OneTwo likes this.
  8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 13, 2019

I still have my college drafting set somewhere upstairs in my house, including a small board. And last year I moved my office from the back of our office space up to the front, and I finally got rid of my drafting table. We still have a light table, which we find uses for occasionally. My first few years working were a mix of Cad and hand drawings. And letter/ reports/ specs were a mix of typewriter and word processor (we had two Tandy TRS-80 word processing machines we all split time on). The good old days of dot matrix printers/ tractor paper... We used 'sticky-back film for adding specs, etc. onto the vellums and mylars. And nothing would give you a better buzz then spending a half hour on the blue line machine :cool:

9. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 14, 2019

Tried multiple browsers. Nothing works.

Grumble Grumble.

10. jeppehh Aug 14, 2019

Did you add the pictures as well? If not, it won't allow you to continue.

11. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 14, 2019

Yeah mate, added 4. I've sent a service message, I thought it was perhaps a VPN spoofing a US location but nope - checked it all. Very strange.

12. jeppehh Aug 14, 2019

Strange. Hope you get it sorted soon!

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 23, 2019

So my extract arrived today :thumbsup: It’s size and packaging is quite different to what we are used to. I like it.

541A5A3B-C0D8-449F-AFCD-A34F79B0EDB8.jpeg

Edit : no, thats not a giant watch, its a tiny extract.
    Edit Edit : no more autographs, just printed signatures.

Edited Aug 24, 2019
    Omegafanman, kkt, vitriol and 2 others like this.
  14. JanV Aug 24, 2019

Cool, i was starting to wonder where mine are, but now i see the printed ones are also on their way. :thumbsup:

15. simonsays Aug 24, 2019

Hmm. I will reserve judgement until I have one in hand, but small, no folder, ugly disclaimer. What’s to like?
    Who’s signature it is does not matter to me, but the rest seems to be less not more!
    Edit: And it’s folded! Angry face!

SpeedyPhill, eugeneandresson and JanV like this.
  16. befobe Aug 24, 2019

Omega likes "tiny" and "folded" certificates...! :D

Capture.JPG
    SpeedyPhill likes this.
  17. JanV Aug 24, 2019

Yes, that disclaimer positioned in top of the letter is just plain wrong...::facepalm1::

wouter van wijk likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2019

Not to mention bogus ones from Omega... but that’s another story.

19. BatDad Oct 14, 2019

Playing catch-up with some threads -
    Really hope something comes of this. Not a huge deal to digitally sign the pdf as I think you suggest.

Do we know if the extract numbers will be verifiable or available online. Given the speed of turnaround, you’d have thought this was achievable. ‘Here’s all the detail I’ve been provided with on this watch‘ - Omega do you concur, and has an extract been issued?

Omega might need some Bot protection - but that’s a solvable problem too?

20. WYO_Watch Oct 14, 2019

I wish I had ordered my extract for my Ed White prior to the quarter page disclaimer. We all knew what we were getting and what we weren’t getting with the old extracts (more or less a movement that went with a watch case) without a disclaimer...

I don’t ever recall anyone posting about how “Omega” had tricked them into buying a watch due to the presence of an extract, or someone claiming they rightfully owned the watch because they had an extract...

I like the idea of a fast turnaround, am fine with a different size, a fold, no signatures, no folders, no wax seal, no nice paper, etc. but the disclaimer will stop me from ordering another one... (until my curiosity drives me mad)

eugeneandresson likes this.