Forums Latest Members

New (improved) process for Omega Extract of the Archives

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 11, 2019

Longines gives the same information away for free and I don’t see that happening often, if at all.

My issue is more about the cost for a document that doesn’t really add any value. This was true before these changes to the process. At least with Longines, you get what you are paying for. :p

There does seem to be a serial number on the PDF, although it is unclear if it can be accessed outside of Omega or an individual, personal account.
    gatorcpa

The Father likes this.
  2. moorey Aug 11, 2019

Evidently you didn't read the disclaimer, also you didn't notice there is no remarks section.

3. yinzerniner Aug 11, 2019

I just got word from OB fifth ave that US extract requests are on hold again. You can send the piece in yourself but that requires insured shipping at your cost.
    I’ll check in with them again in a few weeks to see if they’ve restored the official request module.

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 12, 2019

What are you trying to say @moorey ?

5. moorey Aug 12, 2019

You're right, it will now be faster but it comes with a disclaimer, for your money you are told what the movement was originally encased in, when and where it was shipped, no info on the bracelet or mention of other relevant information. Does it give suffix detail, -63 -66 -71 etc. I doubt it.

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 12, 2019

Ive never faxed mine. Always sent via email

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S Aug 12, 2019

Likewise. I have filled in, and emailed a form in PDF format to Omega USA customer service. I'm not sure of the current status of this method, but I suspect an email to [email protected] would yield an answer.

8. rcs914 Aug 12, 2019

You can email it in - it doesn't have to be by fax. As long as you are willing to take the risk of emailing a document with your credit card number on it.

9. rcs914 Aug 12, 2019

So does it strike me with the streamlining of this process, as well as the reduction in information (no remarks, nothing on the bracelet - at least from this example) that maybe they could reduce the price as well? Or perhaps a couple tiers - if you want a signed extract that is shipped to you, you pay one price. If you want just an emailed PDF you pay less. I will never sell my watch that I have, but I'd like to know specifically when it was made. But there isn't $150 worth of value in knowing that to me.

S.H. and gatorcpa like this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 12, 2019

Much better than Rolex, isn’t it? :)

It does. It always did, from 105.002-62 on...::popcorn::

11. abrod520 Aug 12, 2019

Yes, that's more what I meant. Having to fill out a PDF, print it out, then scan it etc. plus writing down your credit card info. And then not receiving any communication afterwards - either an Extract shows up a few months later, or it doesn't.

12. S.H. Aug 12, 2019

I find it a bit funny, because now that it is "streamlined", it is roughly the same level of service as Longines (except if you only want an email extract, it is free! thumbs up Longines :thumbsup:)

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2019

Longines will send you a certificate for free. It has exactly the same information as the email, but of course, you can pass it on with the watch.

It just doesn’t come in a fancy red envelope.
    gatorcpa

Dan S likes this.
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 12, 2019

Writing on and scanning or printing a pdf is so 1980....I fill mine on my MBP, about the same effort as a website form. :)
    The last few extracts ordered this way had great communications throughout the process.

15. MRC Aug 12, 2019

We'd have killed for a utility like PDF in 1980, but wouldn't have any means to transmit them unless working for a major computer manufacturer with a proprietary network or military, MIT, BB&N, etc.

PDF 1.0 (no public specification) arrived in 1993. It was based on something from U. of Utah called JaM for "John and Martin". I have worked with Martin (Newell) on (actually competing ;) ) CAD-CAM projects.

When I was working at a major computer manufacturer early 1980s and sometimes showed prospective customers our CAD-CAM programs running on a computer in England but displaying in Natick MA as an example of the possibilities of the future -- no-one believed me.

Edited Aug 12, 2019
    Hilts, Eve, Tubber and 4 others like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2019

I was submitting computer programs I wrote online to professors at University of Florida as far back as 1979. Today, we would call this email, but I can't remember what it was called then.
    gatorcpa

17. jaguar11 Aug 13, 2019

Remember that Omega use to be free in the 1990's. I don't know when they started chasing. No fancy document back then with just an email containing exactly the same information.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 13, 2019

Just received a (refunded) cancellation of a second order. So folks who ordered extracts where info is missing : its still missing/damaged/etc.

tyrantlizardrex, kov and JanV like this.
  19. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 13, 2019

::rimshot::

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 13, 2019

I have tried multiple times to order an extract.
    When clicked, the 'Order Extract' Button changes from red to grey (& a non-responsive field) & the cursor icon changes to a 'not allowed icon' (Ghostbusters minus the ghost).
    I am running Chrome on OSX.

Very frustrating.