Forums Latest Members
  1. roboterkampf Jun 21, 2015

Hello everyone, I literally haven't even had this for 24 hours yet, and pardon my pun, but I'm over the moon at finding it, tucked away in a box filled with 20 years of meaningless bank receipts at my Grandmother's house, away from the sticky fingers of a few relatives who have taken many family heirlooms recently, as she passed away and I have been helping my mother get everything in order. It amazed both of us that this exists - neither of us had any idea my Grandfather owned this watch, let alone it being my dream watch.

A little back story on who owned this Omega, my grandfather: He worked for the NSA from before it even was the NSA, straight out of high school. All we know is that he worked in cryptography for over 30 years, traveled often under assumed names with the rank of "General", was a S.U.S.L.O., and outside of his cold war era "spy" job, was a wonderful family man. He retired in 1979, and in the photo you can see the Speedmaster on his wrist. He passed in 1984, when I was still too young to have an adult conversation with the man. I have no idea when/why he purchased this (obviously in 1969 or shortly thereafter!) watch.

This is my DREAM watch, supplanting my "not quite but as close as I can get" Bulova Accutron Spaceview (which I'll probably now sell, since I now have THE Omega watch!). The bottom button doesn't seem to do anything (nothing resets) and the band is way too small for my wrist, so I need to get more links, or as has been already suggested, a different band that is less-fragile than this 1039/516. But first up, I need to get this serviced! I have a name of someone in Philly I will take it to, unless someone here has a reputable name in Baltimore, where I live?

Hopefully nothing is too amiss inside. And don't worry - I am not getting it polished or changed in any way unless I need to for functional reasons. The crystal has a gouge in the left side by the 3pm position, but it seems to have been polished smooth and if it doesn't affect the seal, I'm cool.

So enough of my babble - here's some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ascalon, Eve, MauricioNO and 32 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 21, 2015

Wow, what a find! Govbergs in Philly is highly rated. This watch has the newer 861 movement so easy to find parts. Looks like it's never been serviced. Rare straight writing case introduced in 1970. Awesome condition. Congrats and good luck with this family jewel. Extra links are available on eBay, from time to time, for the 1039 bracelet

Mine say hello

image.jpg

Mad Dog and roboterkampf like this.
  3. diggin5 Jun 21, 2015

I would recommend you steer clear of Govbergs for service. There are much less expensive options for the same exact service.

roboterkampf likes this.
  4. watchcollect Jun 21, 2015

Fantastic story! Enjoy the family heirloom and congrats on the find.

5. michaelmc Jun 21, 2015

If that watch could talk :) Something cool to wear with memories to boot. m

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 21, 2015

Good stuff! Sounds like your grandpa was a real international man of mystery.

7. vadimo Jun 21, 2015

another great story and what a pleasant find, heritage and brand

alam likes this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 21, 2015

i love watches with a history...

9. persco Jun 21, 2015

Great story and a very beautiful watch. Wonderful.

10. Audley Yung Jun 21, 2015

gorgeous watch, and I love that bracelet.

11. Eric_navi Jun 21, 2015

I have a feeling if that watch could talk... It would have been destroyed

Congrats on a beauty

Bienne2998 likes this.
  12. Geo! Jun 21, 2015

I love both the watch and the story, thanks for sharing. :)

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 22, 2015

Great watch and story too

14. Bienne2998 Jun 22, 2015

Really a cool story. So the Speedmaster ist the watch worn by NASA and NSA.
    Maybe this could be engraved on the back - there's still some space left...;)

thanx for sharing. These stories are one of the reason to follow this forum.

15. marturx Jun 22, 2015

Welcome! Great first post! Equally great watch too. And remember, you merely look after it to the next generation! :)

16. emilio Jun 22, 2015

Great story and watch to!

17. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 22, 2015

Nice story.

My grandfather was presumably buried with his gold JLC. I got a similar model as a wedding gift, but getting your dreamwatch which was actually donned by your grandpops... Wow!

18. bencrouch25 Jun 22, 2015

Awesome story - It's really cool to think he had something for all those years without knowing how happy it would make you one day in the future. Very lucky find and a watch with real meaning, look after it for the next generation.

19. roboterkampf Jun 22, 2015

Thanks gents, couldn't have said it better myself.
    Now, the bottom button does nothing - the watch keeps time, but nothing resets on the stopwatch, so I am not going to rewind it and get it serviced ASAP. Any one hear of this particular issue before and what I'm in for, to get it fixed?

Thanks!

20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 22, 2015

Congratulations! What a happy find!