New Guy Question: Moonwatch vs Speedmaster 38

Hi everyone.

I’m just getting into this crazy world of watches (I was on a custom knife kick for a while). I had tried a smart watch in the past but hated it, maybe it was just the being connected. I bought a carbon G Shock Mudmaster after spending a couple weeks in Grand Teton and Glacier. I liked being disconnected from the world, but wanted a watch to take a beating. After getting it I realized I liked wearing a watch and now here I am.

I never got myself anything nice after my military retirement so I decided this would be perfect. My Mudmaster for my outdoor stuff and an Omega for nicer events and everyday wear.

So with that long diatribe, I am of course looking at the Hesalite Moonwatch. But in my research I also ran across the 38. To my uninitiated eye, they look very similar.

I know the 38 is 4mm smaller than the Moonwatch. It is also an automatic and has sapphire crystal.

Other than that, for the 1300 difference in price, what do I get with the Moonwatch for that price difference? Or is it just the historical designation of being the first watch on the moon and being mechanical?

And since I wouldn’t be wearing it every day since I don’t always leave my place, would a mechanical or auto be better?

Thanks for indulging the questions

Welcome! I think the 38 is geared as more of a ladies watch but there is no reason a man couldn’t wear one. Personally, I don’t care for the oval sub-registers, bezel, or date window on the 38. Moonwatch would be an easy choice for me. Also take a look at the heritage Speedmaster 57. It has a bit smaller case size than the Moonwatch and a better date implementation than the 38, classic hands and bracelet and looks amazing but it’s getting up there in price.

I’m not sure about manual vs automatic for sporadic use. With an automatic you could get a watch winder to keep it wound. Manual either you keep winding it every day to keep it running or it’s easy enough to wind it up and set the time when it stops. I’d say get the watch you love and don’t worry about this too much.

The Speedy reduced is awesome and there are TONS of variants. There is also the Speedy 57 and FOIS to take a look at. You can never go wrong with a Speedy professional. The last model (1861/63) can be found used for a great price. I’ve even seen used 3861s in the mid 5k range now.

I think you should go try them on in person and decide which one you like. I've never tried on the newer 38mm Speedmaster, but I can tell you that I really don't like the older Speedy Reduced, and love the Speedy Pro moonwatch. Night and day on the wrist.
Edited:

Welcome @NomadV! If you want the current day version closest to the watch worn on the moon, go with the Moonwatch. I was typing this as Dan was posting and was also going to mention TRY THEM ON IN PERSON before purchasing. They look different on your wrist than they do in glossy professional shots. I got the 1861 for my 25th Wedding Anniversary over 3 years ago and have worn it just about every day and love it. Go with what you want, not what others want. But the forum is a great place to learn and I would not have taken the plunge on one without being educated by all the fine folks here. Take your time, see them in person, and you will have no regrets once you decide. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

For functionality and reliability you can't beat an 1861, or newer 3861, 42mm manual Speedmaster. Never could get excited about the automatic reduced line. Pay the money and get the standard manual wind, you won't be disappointed and you'll be happier in the end. You can't beat a classic.
Edited:

Welcome @NomadV! If you want the current day version closest to the watch worn on the moon, go with the Moonwatch. I was typing this as Dan was posting and was also going to mention TRY THEM ON IN PERSON before purchasing. They look different on your wrist than they do in glossy professional shots. I got the 1861 for my 25th Wedding Anniversary over 3 years ago and have worn it just about every day and love it. Go with what you want, not what others want. But the forum is a great place to learn and I would not have taken the plunge on one without being educated by all the fine folks here. Take your time, see them in person, and you will have no regrets once you decide. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The only one I’ve seen in person is the Sapphire Moonwatch and that was on a cruise when I went into a Little Switzerland at one of the stops. I wanted to see an Apollo 8 in person, for some reason I just love that watch, but they only had the other. I tried it on and really liked it but wanted to do more research before buying.

The wife is ok with me getting whatever I want but she told me to wait until March so we can see when our military move is since we sometimes have to pay out of pocket for some stuff and then get reimbursed

Keep it simple. Read the history. Capture the magic. Get the Hesalite Moonwatch.

To answer some of your other questions, the automatic is still a mechanical watch, it just has the rotor that makes it self winding when worn or placed on a watch winder. That being said, if you are going to not be wearing it for days, the hand wound is much faster to set when left to run down. You can always place the auto on a watch winder, but some will state that is unnecessary wear on the movement.

I think you'll likely find that if you go for the auto, you'll eventually wish you had gotten the one you originally wanted and it didn't fully scratch the itch. Then you are left with a depreciated watch that you'll sell at a loss and buy the one you wish you had purchased for even more money at that point in time then it costs now.

You may be able to find it via the Bx/Px and even if you don't get a discount, you'll save on taxes.

To answer some of your other questions, the automatic is still a mechanical watch, it just has the rotor that makes it self winding when worn or placed on a watch winder. That being said, if you are going to not be wearing it for days, the hand wound is much faster to set when left to run down. You can always place the auto on a watch winder, but some will state that is unnecessary wear on the movement.

I think you'll likely find that if you go for the auto, you'll eventually wish you had gotten the one you originally wanted and it didn't fully scratch the itch. Then you are left with a depreciated watch that you'll sell at a loss and buy the one you wish you had purchased for even more money at that point in time then it costs now.

You may be able to find it via the Bx/Px and even if you don't get a discount, you'll save on taxes.

I think you are right. I’ve been reading the responses from all of you and watching some YouTube videos and think I’m going to grab the Moonwatch.

As far as the PX, I went by the AF base by me and they had 2 SeaMasters, but said they were both returned watches that were ordered online and that, as of now, Omega wasn’t a brand available through the exchange. I guess their Vet Day sale with them 20% off then people flipping them caught their attention and they removed their inventory.

I did find an AD who said they would work with me, but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to grab it until March which will leave me getting hit with the price increase in Fed

As far i understand you are comparing Moonwatch vs the new 38mm Speedmaster, right?

I love all the speedmasters and i would consider to buy any model except the new 38mm version, which seems a Speedy for ladies.

Please have also in mind, there are a lot of topics which refer that Omega will increase for another time the prices by next month.

Love all the Speedmasters but my advice it's to buy a Moonwatch even it will take longer to acquire it. You will never regret that decision.

Well I did a thing today…

I was checking the AAFES website and saw one Hesalite Moonwatch available.

so the wife and I jump in the car and haul it to base. Applied for a STAR card and used it so I would get a 10% statement credit and then 2% back in rewards bucks.

Of course they call the verify it and it shows released to fulfiller. I paid the 20 for overnight shipping so hopefully it will be here Wednesday and won’t be canceled like I heard happening to some people’s orders last year during the sale. I’m thinking this one may have been a cancellation and they just put it up because now you can’t fine Omega on the sight again.

we will see