Forums Latest Members

New guy... question about polishing yellow gold Globemaster

1. 2807 Oct 7, 2020

Hello everyone. I’m new to Omega, so, be gentle.

I am on the prowl for a yellow gold dress watch. I really like the Globemaster Constellation. Wow.
    My concern is the brushed case. I wish it was highly polished. It has a brass look to it that concerns me.

Has anyone ever had one of these polished? Is this possible without killing the nice sharp edges?

I tried one on, but it had a protective sticker, and they removed it after I had it on, so I never got to see it on me without the sticker. I will return soon to see it again, and compare to the Tresor (which I did not know existed...and they should have shown me..)

If anyone has pictures of the yellow gold watch, please post !!
    And any experience of polishing and recommendations would be appreciated.

Long time Rolex fan, looking to switch. No yellow gold dress watch by Rolex. Too bad.
    And a Patek and others are just too much for me. Not worth it, but, yes, very nice.

Thanks folks.

2. SkunkPrince Oct 7, 2020

The instant you take your nice new watch and customize it... it's worth half what you paid.

That said, you can do whatever you want.

I suggest you might consider Omega models presented in the past that more meet what you're looking for. The Deville models of the 90s are likely a lot closer to what you might want. The product line is specifically "DeVille Prestige".

Hope you find what you're looking for!

lindo and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2020

See one in person. It doesn’t look brassy. At least not at all to me.

4. 2807 Oct 7, 2020

Well, it’s beautiful to me too. But, just imagine it all polished. I sure am.
    My my my ...that would be something special.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 8, 2020

polished aspects with brushed aspects are what really pop watches IMHO

M'Bob and Longbow like this.
  6. Longbow Oct 8, 2020

Absolutely agree on this point. My first vintage Seamaster had had all the brushed/Satin finished polished off. I thought that was great until I saw how it should look and indeed how it finally looks today after Omega reset all the surfaces to the correct contrasting mix of finishes.

@2807 Have a look here for what I mean. There’s also an interesting review by Fratello on the Sedna gold Globemaster.

A fully polished gold Globemaster seems to go against the subtle understated charm of this whole model range.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. 2807 Oct 8, 2020

hi. Wow, thank you for taking the time to share this info and the links. Read all of it.

I also cringe when I hear of other folks polishing a watch and frequently saw that on another watch forum. Usually it was to brush the bracelet’s center links or re-brush the entire thing. I always thought it never looked “right”.

So... you folks may have convinced me. Believe me, I tried it on and it was love at first sight. I’ve been on the prowl for a while, and this Globemaster was perfect, instantly. A great hybrid of dresswatch and a little heft at the same time. It was unbelievably comfortable on the first try. I was ready to stop my searching and buy. But, $20k is a lot, so I decided to ease into it.

As an aside, I lean towards the Cellini from Rolex, but it only comes in Everose gold, and I am concerned about the mismatch with my bold yellow gold ring (on opposite right hand).

I do think the thick plastic wrap on the Globemaster did not help really allow its luster to show. I am going back, and will try it on again and without the plastic.

I am going to compare it to a gold Tresor which does have the more traditional dress watch look too. But, if that Globemaster continues to pull me in, it will be the one. I do like the way it is it’s own style and striking blend of class and sport.

And, I will not alter it.

That was fun.

Thanks folks.

here it is....
    Wow. Love it.
    Clearly, in all its splendor, it needs no polishing.
    I think the plastic sticker/cover and the lighting in the boutique did not help.
    Picture in case has plastic removed...but bad pic is what has bothered me.
    174DC838-78E3-4B87-934E-569AE9736394.jpeg

2DDBF7A4-F4CC-4432-A4B3-AD5DA190718B.jpeg 7C73B717-25BE-44ED-B09A-E0CA26F2DA57.jpeg
    Edited Oct 8, 2020