Forums Latest Members
  1. AlphaAnd Feb 15, 2015

Love the forum. Am new to watches and fallen for vintage Speedies (and Seamster 600s). Trying to educate before diving in but anticipating a Speedmaster 145 (ish) and Seamster 600 in the future.

I have grown accustomed to the $2,200-$5,000 base price depending on features and condition. But am stumped as I often run across an outlier at the $1,200-$1,500 mark - and am unsure whether a less-sought after version/Frankenwatch or some other combination.

Specifically, could anybody explain this post in Forum's FS section for a 3510 at $1260?: http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-3510-50-automatic-chronograph-watch.20923/

Looks a bit overworked/polished - but I have seen this type pricing in other locations too. Is there a big picture element I'm missing? Location out of Hong Kong a bit concerning as well. Post details below if helpful.

Would appreciate any thoughts/guidance or education (currently working through speedmaster101.com - open to suggestions on next source).

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Movement : Omega automatic Chronograph movement
    Case : Original 39mm omega stainless steel case
    Bezel : Original stainless steel bezel with black insert
    S/N : 57346359
    Dial : Original matte black dial
    Hands : Original hands
    Crystal : Very clear Original Acrylic crystal
    Crown : Original with omega logo
    Bracelet : Original 18mm bracelet with omega logo
    Size : Big size 39mm wide excluding crown
    movement running good & keep time just with few desk diving swirlies on the case & bracelet.
    Total length of the watch : 20cm
    Packaging : Only watch without any box or paper
    My price is $1260 shipped to worldwide by (EMS)
    Payment by PayPal (Gift option or adding 4%) or Bank Wire Transfer.
    message or email me at
    [email protected]
    Refund policy: Full refund including return shipping if misrepresented or not authentic Omega

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 15, 2015

Its an Auto.

Has about as much connection to a Moonwatch as a datsun.

(I know thats a bit unfair, but let me have my fun)

epl108 and gemini4 like this.
  3. cristos71 Feb 15, 2015

That is a Speedmaster Reduced. Basically it looks somewhat like a Speedmaster Pro but isn´t. It is smaller and has an unpopular modular automatic chronograph movement instead of the classic manual wind.

4. AlphaAnd Feb 15, 2015

Thanks! Is the give-away the automatic movement?

5. Davidt Feb 15, 2015

Yes. The 'moonwatch', with the typical twisted lug case, will say Omega, Speedmaster, Professional on the dial. An auto which is similar but less desirable will have the Professional changed to Automatic.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 15, 2015

Yeah, and size at 39mm. The sub-dials are close to the edge, each 5-minutes is printed on the dial, and because the stopwatch function is on the dial side, the pushers are on a different plane than the crown.
    I think these are disliked for the difficulty in servicing them? Or because they rely on the power of the time-keeping portion of the movement?

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 15, 2015

The speedmaster collectors on the forum might look down on the reduced but it is a fine watch in it's own right.
    Servicing them is no more difficult for someone that knows what they are doing than a manual wind, if there is a problem with the chrono module it is usually exchanged for a service exchange replacement . The rest of the movement is standard fare for any watchmaker worthy of the name.

8. canardobkk Feb 15, 2015

Yday at ebay Germany one of those in mint+ with paperwork (without box though) was sold for 850 EUR, if that helps to estimate price / value…

Was bedding on it for my gf wrist, but didn't made it till the end.

9. Davidt Feb 15, 2015

Unless your particularly looking for a smaller than normal Speedmaster, or want a cheaper auto, I'd advise to stick to the tried and tested manual wind, pro model. You'll be hard pressed to find one of these below $1800 unless you get lucky.

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. AlphaAnd Feb 15, 2015

Ha! Now that says it all rather succinctly! For your GF's wrist!
    I am not what you'd call a small man..ll
    Thanks to all for a rapid education on the Reduced. I try to read enough not to ask the basics - but this covered a wide spread. Geoff

11. canardobkk Feb 15, 2015

No offence, I am new to Speedmaster myself still, doing my research and yday only found this forum. I decided that a manual 42mm would be the best for me and to start with. The "reduced" is NOT small, but I would love to see my gf wearing it as "big" watched look great on small wrists...

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 15, 2015

I would look to a Speedmaster with an integrated chronograph with date (or day/date) (Valjoux 7750) before I bought a Reduced with a Dubois-Dépraz module. Those Valjoux run about $1,500-$1,800, and they're great movements (just asks Al at Archer).. A nice manual wind Speedmaster will run at least $2,200 and up. (US dollars). And it won't be vintage.
    That's a whole other education;)

Archer likes this.
  13. JG808 Feb 16, 2015

I also recommend sticking with the 42mm manual wind version. It's a classic for good reason.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2015

There are some who swear by the reduced models with the module on top of the 2892 base movement, but the fact is they tend to be more problematic than a proper integrated chronograph is. They tend to have more problems with things like hands that flop a little bit when the watch is turned from side to side, or hands that jump when pressing the start button, and yes despite the comments in this thread, they do present different circumstances for repairs than a 7750 based watch, an F. Piguet based Omega chronograph, or a Speedmaster Pro would.

Part of this depends on the market you are in, and how Omega handles these movements in your specific market. For me, I have been told that they sell no replacement parts for the modules, and no complete modules that can be swapped. The only option given to me is swapping the whole movement, and the cost of that is so high, it makes no sense for me to even bother since I am only then just doing a dial and hand swap, and my price will end up being just as much as Omega costs. Certainly other markets are different, and if you choose the expensive road and service through Omega anyways, it's a moot point. But if you have a watchmaker that you like to use, you should check with them first before buying one of these and assuming they will service it for you.

I have people contact me all the time asking if I service these, because they can't find anyone who will touch them. I think the ease of just "getting a new module" is overstated by some, and this certainly does not apply everywhere in the same way.

It's not always about the pure difficulty of servicing something. People who do this as a business have to make decisions about running a business, and sometimes it makes more sense to not take in certain kinds of work. For me this include antique US pockets watches (difficulties finding parts, in particular rubbed in jewels), and also modular chronographs. It has nothing to do with ability - if I could get the parts, I would have no issues doing the work...

Cheers, Al

noelekal and watchme like this.
  15. AlphaAnd Feb 16, 2015

Excellent.
    I am off the Reduced for now - will start collection with classic and maybe knowledgeably more into less mainstream. This is a great base. Geoff

canardobkk likes this.
  16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 16, 2015

Otto Frei offers this, but I don't know how long it's been drying out on the shelf. Guessing it would need servicing?
    ...and the viscous cycle begins.
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 16, 2015