Forums Latest Members

The everlasting question: Speedmaster vs Seamaster

1. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

I am planning to get into the world of more luxurious mechanical watches with my next purchase, and have decided that it should be an Omega.

I have always been drawn to the Speedster Professional, the Heselite Crystal, and went to the local Omega Boutique to try it on. While there, I tried the Seamaster as well, I am talking about the Ceramic 300 Professional, or the "Bond Seamaster".

Since this would be my only true luxury piece, it is inevitable that I will wear it everywhere I go. What do you guys think would be the better choice for a first watch and why.

I would take the speedy in a heartbeat, but the low water pressure rating and the attractiveness of the Seamaster have me thinking.

How much will the water pressure rating really affect me in real life, will I be able to shower with the Speedy? And even though it was on the Moon, doesn't the Seamaster feel tougher to you guys as well?

OWa and ffej4 like this.
  2. Moppel May 16, 2015

Hi,

although the Seamaster Bond was my first "real expensive" watch and even though it became my daily beater in the office I'd go for the Speedmaster today. I own a Speedy myself and I absolutely love it. Depending if worn on a bracelet or on a leather strap this watch has so many faces. It fits perfect to a suit or some shorts with a t-shirt. That's why I love it.

watchos likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 16, 2015

For me, it's the Seamaster.

4. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

That's exactly what I thought.

5. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

Some pictures to push me over the edge are always appreciated. ;)

6. Moppel May 16, 2015

I am pushing against it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nonuffinkbloke and Baz9614 like this.
  7. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

Now that's one great looking movement and watch. This will be a hard decision. Would you shower with your watch Moppel?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2015

Speedmaster first then Seamaster, we try to discourage either/or type scenarios in favour of this, then that.

Because more watches is better than less watches :)

9. RLC May 16, 2015

I'm biased......
    145.029 from 1972

DSC00001.JPG

New 2335.80...
    DSC00056.JPG

Bob
    :cool:

10. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

RLC likes this.
  11. Bezel_Faulty May 16, 2015

This really is a head or heart decision, imo.
    I am perfectly happy to wear my Seamaster no matter what I'm doing as I know it can take pretty much anything I can throw at it or drop it into. However it is the Speedy that gives me the greatest pleasure to look at when I wear it.
    On a practical note I have to ask myself as I live on the coast; am I more likely to fall into water or get jettisoned out of an airlock? ( My attempts at poetry are so bad that a Vogon would be tempted by the latter)
    In the end I have bought examples of both along with a modest collection of other watches from various manufacturers. It then it gets even more problemmatical as many here have found. What to wear? No longer the cry of the female of the species...

12. Moppel May 16, 2015

No, never. I am not wearing any watches around the house anyway. So when I am back from work I always take the watch off.
    Go and get a damn Speedy :)

( with courtesy of my girlfriend )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Thomas

Edited May 16, 2015
    lukajur likes this.
  13. guelerct May 16, 2015

The soeedmaster is water proof
    You can swim, shower, etc with no problem
    I doubt anyone on this forum will ever dive 1,000 feet under water so the deep dive complications are only really useful if you are looking for new life at the bottom of the Pacific or looking for Malaysian airliners

14. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

"or looking for Malaysian airlines"

Maybe to early for a joke like that.

I am about to complete a major milestone in my life, so once that is done, sometime in June, watch out for an incoming thread.

15. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

Well if how could I refuse the advice of a gorgeous women. (I assume your girlfriend is good looking) :)

16. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

Now I have to agree on that one.

17. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 16, 2015

I am for the buy both scenario:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Paulomega, bama2141, 89-0 and 10 others like this.
  18. lillatroll May 16, 2015

If you are only planning on buying one then buy the one you love the most because that is the one that wil bring you the most joy. As to the practicalities of which one to go for, I wouldn t think about what shirt it goes with. A watch that costs the same as a small car is an emotional investment IMHO so I always buy with that in mind. If you can afford both though, get both, just don t tell your wife

19. leetse2 May 16, 2015

I started with the blue SMPc and have regretted it since. I would go with the Speedy as it is much more versatile vs the blue SMPc. I couldn't find straps that looked good with the blue, but the Speedy looks great on everything from a nato to a dressed up croc strap. Both great watches, I just lean towards the Speedy having owned the SMPc. Good luck!

20. lukajur First floor resident. May 16, 2015

Thankfully I don't have a wife yet.