Forums Latest Members

Sapphire Sandwich vs Speedmaster Racing

1. manthony02 Apr 12, 2019

Hi All,

First post here... would appreciate opinions. I know there's no right answer to this, but I'm interested in opinions. I know this has been discussed before, and I've read those threads, but I'm asking again.

I'm looking to buy my first Omega to add to my existing small collection: Seiko Turtle and Samurai re-issues, an Ebel Tarawa (weird I know but the sapphire crystal shape is undeniably unique), and a Rolex Datejust II. I'm relatively new to the watch hobby, but the more I learn, the more I dislike Rolex and like Omega. I think Omega is just plain more innovative and creating better watches right now.

That said, I'm having a really hard time choosing where to start. As an Aerospace Engineer, I'm somewhat embarrassed by the fact that I don't own a moonwatch, so candidate 1 is a new sapphire sandwich (311.30.42.30.01.006). I wear all my watches, and as evidenced by my seikos I need the durability of the sapphire over the hesalite. Plus, I want the exhibition case back because I think for the price point, the decoration of the 1863 movement is outstanding. But... the 1863 is cam operated and lateral clutch, which isn't necessarily bad, but also isn't "haute horology" (if that matters) or as durable/refined as a column-wheel+vertical clutch chronograph.

I also tried on a new Speedmaster racing white dial (329.30.44.51.04.001), and I can't get it out of my head. I think the 9900 movement is pretty much the best chronograph movement available today (about the only other contender in my mind is the Vacheron Constantin Caliber 5200 in the overseas, which is almost 4x the cost). I think the 9900 is amazing.. co-axial escapement, double barrel mainsprings, column-wheel & vertical clutch chronograph. I would wear this and be confidently smug every time I see someone who paid 2-3x for a Daytona (also column wheel and vertical clutch).

Do I go with new technology or tradition and history? Part of me says go with the Racing now, and then start saving for a real moonwatch (ST 105.012) because I don't have a vintage piece in the collection yet and if we're being honest, a moonwatch without a 321 isn't REALLY a moonwatch (nothing against the 861 or 1861 families of movements). But with the rising prices of all the 321 movement speedmasters, this might never happen.

Other option is go with the sapphire sandwhich now to own a piece of the moonwatch mythology (I'm 100% ok thinking of it that way), wait a few years and try to pick up good used racing later (after we collectively see the durability of the 9900 movement).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

2. BatDad Apr 12, 2019

It sounds to me like you’ve already found yourself drawn to one movement...

One thing I considered when starting down this path - do we see a time when omega stop manufacturing the Hesalite Moonwatch? I don’t see that happening. So in my mind I have plenty of time to buy a Moonwatch current to the year I’m looking to buy.

manthony02 likes this.
  3. robinhook Apr 12, 2019

To me the 9900 is just better than the 1863 on paper. 1863 has no practical problem and will last longer than myself for sure. I would not get the 9900 speedy. If moon watch is what you wanted, get the moonwatch. I feel it unnecessary to get a 9900 modern speedmaster first just because it has a “better” movement, and then another “true moonwatch”.

If you really care about column wheel and true history, just save and get a 321. If you want the practicality of sapphire and can compromise on the movement, get the sapphire sandwich.

Personally, I’d go with a hesalite regular moonwatch 311...005. I started with the exact same train of thoughts and got the sapphire sandwich. But the look of the crystal is just different and better on the hesalite. Display back is good but NASA certification engraving is equally cool and more significant considering the history this watch is associated with. I had no choice but to get another hesalite version later on. Of course everyone’s perspective is different. But I still lusted for the hesalite even I have the sapphire. And I wouldn’t lust for the sapphire if I had got the hesalite... just my 0.02.

Edited Apr 12, 2019
    manthony02 likes this.
  4. robinhook Apr 12, 2019

Or, maybe it's better to put it this way: If you are capable of buying what you wanted and never go on to the forums and read about what others think, then any model is fine. :D But... if you are interested in others' opinions, the more you read the more you'll find out that a hesalite moonwatch is just a MUST HAVE, there's no way out of it.

manthony02 likes this.
  5. rudagger Apr 12, 2019

It's your $4000, Why worry about what others think?? Buy what you like.

Now if you told me that you forgot what the Reynolds number is, well then I would understand your embarrassment. :)

manthony02 likes this.
  6. Evitzee Apr 12, 2019

If you don't feel the historical pull of the original look and base movement of the Moonwatch then don't go that route. (Some people say the sapphire sandwich is already too far off the moonwatch reservation.) Get the more modern auto version, just don't fool yourself that you really have a moonwatch. You won't. Just try them on and buy what you like.

manthony02 likes this.
  7. hmss007 Apr 12, 2019

I've gone through the same debate for the last year myself. I really wanted a moonwatch but kept struggling with two things; 1) I really love the features of the older 861/321 watches - not so much the movement but the aesthetics such as applied logo, longer indices and stepped dial. 2) I love the tradition of the manual wind movements, but I wanted an automatic.

Today I purchased the Speedmaster Racing with the 9900 movement and the orange hands. I should have it early next week and after trying on several times, it just spoke to me much more than the moonwatch. I'll probably keep looking for a moonwatch the speaks to me as the Speedmaster Racing does, but in its current incarnation, it just doesn't.

[Since I know everyone will ask, I'll post pictures upon arrival.]

8. New moon Apr 13, 2019

Congratulations. I bought one last year. Been enjoying it every since. Something as small as the minute markers I preferred over the moon watch.

IMG_20180714_184727.jpg IMG_20180714_184506.jpg
  9. manthony02 Apr 14, 2019

Thanks all for the insights!

I went with the sapphire sandwhich (purchased from @mdgrwl here on the forum). I liked how it looked on, I don't currently have a manual wind chronograph so I wanted something different, and I wanted to be part of the moonwatch mythology. I'll look for a 9900 mvmt watch as my next piece.

Thanks again!

robinhook likes this.
  10. robinhook Apr 14, 2019

Congrats!! Wear it with good health!

Omegafanman likes this.
  11. manthony02 Apr 18, 2019

drhombus24 likes this.