Forums Latest Members
  1. Rodsch Dec 18, 2019

Hello together,

i wanted to inform you that there is a for me new ebay scam:

I sold a watch on ebay with the "Buy now" option. The "buyer" received automatically from ebay my bank details to arrange the wire transfer.
    As you can guess he did not transfer the money but instead opened up a PAYPAL Guest account where he used my bank details an went shopping....
    He bought things in 5 different shops with my bank details in his Paypal account.

Please be careful if you sell on ebay and wait for the wiretransfer.... Check your bank account if there are transactions that were not made by you!!

Best regards
    Rodsch

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  2. Geezer Dec 18, 2019

How does this work? My personal bank account is also linked to Paypal, but if I remember correctly I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to link it to Paypal (passport copy, etc.). Do you have any details on how this was done? Thanks

Turpinr likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2019

This sounds very odd to me.

First, it seems to be "guest payments", rather than a "guest Paypal account". And apparently the seller would need to enable such payments to be at risk.

Secondly, I find it very hard to believe that with basic bank account information someone could begin to use PayPal. It sounds like there is a program in eBays system that allows people to pay with PayPal before having completed a full sign-up. That is obviously a problem, and should be stopped immediately.

kov likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 18, 2019

I suspect we aren't getting the full story.

Paypal does not divulge your bank details to anybody.

SBS74 and kingsrider like this.
  5. Rodsch Dec 18, 2019

it happened like that.. identity of the buyers ebay account was stolen. The scammer received that way my bank details.
    Paypal told me that my bank account details were used to open up a Paypal Guest account. With this account the scammer bought things in different web shops....

6. Rodsch Dec 18, 2019

There was no security check by PayPal when the scammer put my bank details in his new opened Guest account

7. Rodsch Dec 18, 2019

Paypal did not,- but in After Sales message,- ebay did. That is common

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 18, 2019

Which is why I refuse to use bank transfers.

For anyone.

With me, it’s a credit card, PayPal or we don’t do business. No watch is worth that kind of hassle.
    gatorcpa

9. sgrossma Dec 18, 2019

That sounds strange. What country are you in?

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2019

WildWestonia :rolleyes:

kkt, JimJupiter, kov and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rodsch Dec 18, 2019

Germany

12. mjb Dec 18, 2019

In the USA I think we're generally required to use paypal for eBay payments. Selling and buying watches on forums, I typically use wire transfers, aware that that opens me up to fraud and such, but so far it's never been a problem. But I always research both buyers and sellers.

For paypal, because I don't trust them at all, I have a separate bank account that only has $100 in it at any time. I use it for paypal and my gym membership (don't trust them either) and transfer money in when payments are due.

13. Dan S Dec 18, 2019

I don't understand this thread. The information required to send a wire transfer is the same information that is on any standard check that one would write, name, address, account number, routing number, etc. So you're saying that anyone who has one of your checks can open a PP account in your name and charge items to it?

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2019

Yes, I remain highly skeptical. If a simple bank account number and name could be used easily to open fake PayPal accounts there would have been a huge scandal long ago.

Did eBay inadvertently (and recently) create a flaw that actually allowed this to happen? More information is required.

kov likes this.
  15. Walrus Dec 18, 2019

This is odd. I sell a lot of things, TV, tools, jewelry etc locally mainly using Craig’s list and offerup as for these items I prefer face to face for now. I’m sure you all know Craig’s list is like a scammers heaven. For every one legit contact you will get at least 3 scammers. One recently wanted to do a wire transfer. I didn’t do it of course but I’m curious what the scam is. They would obtain my account and routing number which as someone already pointed out is on every check I write. I know for scammers it’s about gathering information. I read 80% of us credit card info has been stolen and available most just not used yet. I don’t use debit cards as if they are hacked it can be a bigger headache to straighten out. I made a few sales in bitcoin where you can use a wallet for one transaction then burn it. Anyway I wandered off topic but I am very curious about the OP situation

16. wsfarrell Dec 18, 2019

Could not agree more. It still astounds me how many sellers demand wire transfers.

"Here, let me count out one hundred $100 bills, put them in a manila envelope, and send them to you."

17. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 18, 2019

Honestly, with the quantity of valuable stuff you guys have at home, the risk is higher to share your home addresses rather than your bank account details.

18. Mad Cow Dec 18, 2019

Strange things happen. A new scandal is not surprising to someone.

19. Rodsch Dec 19, 2019

I just wanted to inform you guys to be carefull with your bank details as that happened to me yesterday. I can only speak about German ebay where many sellers sell with wire transfer to avoid paypal fees.
    It worked like 100 times for me selling and receiving the money by wire transfer but in that 1 case i got scammed

20. Rodsch Dec 19, 2019

In Germany you only need the IBAN number, no name, no adress