Need Advice - Omega Constellation Pie Pan

Hi All,

Thank you in advance to everyone will spend time helping me with this.
I am looking for the perfect gift for my boyfriend, for our 10th anniversary. He's really passioned about watches and a very scrupulous details observer.
I am not a watch expert so I would really appreciate your help with this.
I found out that he's looking for a vintage dress watch and some days ago he showed me this one here:
https://www.ramsdensjewellery.co.uk/product/omega-constellation-pre-owned-watch-ref-1439361sc-82737

I found it fascinating and as long as it is around (or less than) 2.5 k, this is within my budget.
I started reading about the watch features and try to find other similar watches to compare it but I recognize that I am not an expert so please feel free to give me your opinion crudely.
I found also these other ones here:

https://www.ramsdensjewellery.co.uk/product/omega-constellation-pre-owned-watch-ref-1439361sc-82737.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/omega-constellation-pie-pan--id34657709.htm

https://www.chrono24.it/omega/constellation-pie-pan--id31569831.htm

So, the question is: what would you recommend between these options? Plus, do you recommend to do a service after the purchase if it wasn't done recently?

Thanks everyone and apologies if I wrote/ask obvious questions,

You’ll get more replies if you post the images of the watches here directly - you can upload them and then insert them into the post. It also makes it so we can understand the thread later when the links die.

welcome @Anna.A

first of all - compliments on thinking about buying such nice gift for your boyfriend.

second, it's best to post pictures rather than just links - you're more likely to get responses that way.

thirdly, your budget is very healthy and you should be able to get a really nice Constellation for that kind of money.

In saying that, none of the watches you posted are particularly nice and certainly not worth the asking price.
The primary lesson is - you can buy fast and pay more or take your time and get a well-priced watch.
you will however pay more from a dealer than a private seller for obvious reasons.

The first one 14393 c.£1800
the gold capped case is very heavily polished and the dial is heavily spotted - the bleached out photos will (intentionally hide a multitude of sins)
probably a c.£1200 (max ) watch
Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 12.46.22.png

the second watch 14902 £2753 (absolutely ludicrous) +import charges (around 25%) = £3,440!
nice dial but, again, heavy polished case
this is also a c£1200-£1400 (max) watch
Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 12.51.15.png

third one 14383 c£1500
ok dial, poorly relumed hands, polished case (not as polished but a bit dinged up)
another c£1200-ish (max) watch

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 12.55.56.png

regarding servicing - yes, you should factor in £200-300 for a service.

I presume your BF would like a pie-pan - My advice would be, since you know he has an eye for detail , try to find the best example you can and try to settle on a particular reference and focus on finding one of those.
He selected a 'lyre-lug' 14393 - there is also a no date 14381 with the same case so perhaps one of these?
does he want a gold watch? (gold capped) or would steel be ok? (steel is actually more desirable )

do look in the private sale section here - nice Constellations do arise frequently.

hope that helps

Thank you everyone for the useful answers, that helps a lot and gives me valuable insight views into this wonderful passion!

Apologies for the links and thanks for having the photos posted for me.

For what I understood, he would like the gold capped one with the date too, for that reason I was focusing on these watches as they were the best one I was able to find on common websites.
Do you have any other website suggestion for browsing maybe?
Moreover, our anniversary will be in one month time, so I would prefer to find something in this (unfortunately) short timeframe..

For what I understood, he would like the gold capped one with the date too, for that reason I was focusing on these watches as they were the best one I was able to find on common websites.

Moreover, our anniversary will be in one month time, so I would prefer to find something in this (unfortunately) short timeframe..

My advice would be to not buy in haste.

Not particularly romantic but give him a picture of a gold cap Constellation and then spend the time researching all Constellations references ( there are quite a few to choose from) and then search for the right watch in good condition, not just an expensive low-grade watch in the short time frame available ( you can do it together)

Thank you everyone for the useful answers, that helps a lot and gives me valuable insight views into this wonderful passion!

Apologies for the links and thanks for having the photos posted for me.

Do you have any other website suggestion for browsing maybe?

Usually anything from this guy is great, and already serviced. He’s located in Canada, so figure in VAT I suppose
https://www.omegaenthusiastltd.com/omega

Edit: you’ll be paying a premium for saving time spent looking for a watch

Usually anything from this guy is generally ok , and already serviced. He’s located in Canada, so figure in VAT I suppose
https://www.omegaenthusiastltd.com/omega

Edit: you’ll be paying a massive premium for saving time spent looking for a watch

Note- the prices are in US$ not CAD$
and importing to the UK will add about 25% to the cost.

Note- the prices are in US$ not CAD$
and importing to the UK will add about 25% to the cost.

I forgot about that. So you’ll be paying a premium and his car payments

Anna, where are you located? Close to London by any chance?

Yes, I am!
You might want to try contacting James Kibble at Kibble watches in London. He is a vintage watch dealer and is well regarded by many on this forum including me. I’ve purchased three watches from him and have been very satisfied. You will pay a premium for any watch purchased from a dealer, but James is very honest and you will get an authentic watch in good working condition with any flaws disclosed and a one year warranty. You’ll also avoid import charges since he’s based in London. He can also arrange to have the watch serviced for you if necessary. He likely doesn’t have a pie pan Constellation in stock, but if you discuss with him what you are looking for he can look for a good example for you. Here’s an example of one that he sold in the past which seems to be more or less exactly what you want:
https://kibblewatches.co.uk/products/1962-omega-constellation-pie-pan-dial-168-005
I hope this helps. As others have noted, please also keep your eye on the private watch sales forum here on OF. Good luck with your search.

@gbesq could you show Anna what a good gold cap dogleg should look like please.
Happy to. Here’s my 1962 Constellation 14900. Anna, this is a collector grade watch and very few examples will be in this condition, but they need not be as mint as this one is to be suitable for every day wear.
IMG_7373.jpeg IMG_7372.jpeg IMG_7375.jpeg IMG_7376.jpeg
IMG_7378.jpeg IMG_7377.jpeg
Edited:

Happy to. Here’s my 1962 Constellation 14900. Anna, this is a collector grade watch and very few examples will be in this condition, but they need not be as mint as this one is to be suitable for every day wear.
IMG_7373.jpeg IMG_7372.jpeg IMG_7375.jpeg IMG_7376.jpeg
IMG_7378.jpeg IMG_7377.jpeg

It is a special watch -and uncommon in this condition- but it’s good that new members can see what a gold capped dogleg should look like in great condition in order to compare to watches currently on offer ( for what IMHO are for exorbitant prices)

It is a special watch -and uncommon in this condition- but it’s good that new members can see what a gold capped dogleg should look like in great condition in order to compare to watches currently on offer ( for what IMHO are for exorbitant prices)
Yes, agreed.

Some of the terminology about condition may be new to the OP, particularly the focus on polishing. She could read the following thread for a short primer:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

The importance of condition cannot be overstated when buying a collectible watch. Most watches for sale on the internet (e.g. chrono24) at any given time have serious flaws and are just sitting on the market at inflated asking prices. When you first start looking, it seems like there are so many options available. But after a while you come to understand that most of the options are just the same old junk being listed month after month, waiting for a sucker.
Edited:

In short, the essentials of purchasing a vintage watch:
1. Identify the models that interest you.
2. Read everything that you can about those models.
3. Understand what to avoid (overpolished cases, compromised dials, refinished dials, wrong parts/generic parts/franken watches).
4. Buy the seller (i.e., buy from a long standing seller with good reviews and references that you can verify).
5. Don’t overpay.
6. And most importantly: don’t rush.