Forums Latest Members

MY quest to own just one watch...

1. Mister2kris Apr 10, 2021

I did it!! Sold a majority of my watches(see pic). I kept the Fois, MM300, and the IWC(wasn't worth selling). Going to be selling the FOIS & MM300... Any opinions on the original "Bond" watch as a ONE WATCH collection? Or should I stop and be content with 3 watches... I can't decide!?!? Watch collecting is making me crazy... lol.

IMG_7355.jpg
    murph likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 10, 2021

I think I've seen this movie.
    ::popcorn::

3. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

Honestly, I'm not sure this qualifies as collecting anymore. ;)

Waltesefalcon, Pun and vintage hab like this.
  4. Mister2kris Apr 10, 2021

Hahaha so true lol.

5. ChiefMark Apr 10, 2021

I’d have to say “no.” A one-watch collection for me needs to work anywhere for any activity.
    I’d be looking for an Aqua Terra Day-Date like the 231.10.42.22.03.001, a Rolex Datejust (or Day-Date if your budget allows, in white gold), Oyster Perpetual, or Explorer, or finally, one of a million other simple pieces without subdials that have reasonable water resistance.
    I don’t want to wear a diver to a funeral or a wedding; and I don’t care if it’s an AP RO Offshore or a Rolex Sub.
    But that’s me, because you asked.

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 10, 2021

For me this quest has become Mission Impossible. Good luck.

Mister2kris likes this.
  7. Mister2kris Apr 10, 2021

Holy cow! Where have I been?? LOL didnt know Aqua Terra had a "Day-Date" model... gonna look into that! Thanks for the tip!

ChiefMark likes this.
  8. Rado63 Apr 10, 2021

Since you already own the Speedmaster and I believe you are refer to the seiko MM300, then you have a very good two piece collection. By "original Bond watch" do you mean the watch used in the movies? Original watch was a Rolex Submariner 6538 which would make a wonderful one and only. Are you referring to the first Omega Bond watch Seamaster professional 2541.80 although a quartz watch, it would also be a good one and only watch. My favorite Omega Bond watch is the Spectre – Omega Seamaster 300 Ref. 233.32.31.41.21.01.001. A diver and two time zone watch.

9. abgul Apr 10, 2021

Just get what you like. Sell what you don’t. It ebbs and flows.

ChiefMark and Jones in LA like this.
  10. wagudc Apr 10, 2021

FIFY

MY quest to own just one more watch...

11. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Apr 10, 2021

It’s not possible to be content with 3 watches

keepsonticking, sonicosa, Eve and 2 others like this.
  12. Professor Apr 10, 2021

Things to consider.
    Will replacement parts be available for many years to come?
    Is a professional service affordable and likely to be so in the foreseeable future?
    Is the design sturdy enough for any conditions you are likely to expose it to?
    Otherwise it's just a matter of taste and wearability.

If you sell the rest of your watches squirrel the cash, or a large chunk of it, away to spend on regular servicing, repairs or to replace it if need be.

13. Flysatchmo Apr 10, 2021

Sorry, not possible

14. jmnav Apr 11, 2021

Hi:

I came from the other side, I think. For about ten years, I went with only one watch, a Speedmaster Mk40, which almost ticks all boxes: sturdy and precise enough for all but the most demanding activities, elegant but subtle, strong sentimental value, as it was a gift from my then fiancee, now my wife...

But it's not a dress watch, so there it came a Longines with L341 caliber (a Conquest-like, only on a Spanish aftermarket gold case as it used to be usual back in the early 60s). A really nice watch, I must say.

I perfectly could stop there, but then, at about the 10 years mark, the Speedmaster still not revised, I started to worry about its water tightness (more like a self-excuse, since obviously I could have sent it for overhaul right on the spot) so I entered the quest for a diver (I used to do scuba diving, sadly it's been a lot of years that not anymore, but I still feel the itch, so it had to be a "real" diver's). First it was a Seiko Sumo, I finally settled on a Seiko Marinemaster 300m.

And my last acquisition, more out of boredom than need, has been a refurbished 1963 Constellation with steel case and gold-accented sphere for the times I prefer this combination better than the full gold one.

So, I wouldn't go with only one watch, but I could have settled for two... I ended up with four, nevertheless.

kkt likes this.
  15. wagudc Apr 11, 2021

One watch is not possible. What are you going to wear when it is getting serviced? At very least you need one nice watch and one decent beater.

16. Amg786s Apr 11, 2021

3 is just about possible

wagudc likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 11, 2021

I thought, that this was potentially the one.....Didn’t work out. Just became a catalyst. Still one of my faves. With the way Rolex has made these unobtainium, I’m now less inclined to wear it constantly. 28DDDCBC-117A-4515-9238-5D3C6BFEA004.jpeg

wagudc, marcn, gnuyork and 1 other person like this.
  18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Apr 11, 2021

I’m not that hooked on the modern Rolex maxi cases, ceramic etc. but the 116710ln is very very appealing. Another dad at my daughters swimming class has it and I can’t stop looking at it when we are waiting. I pretend to read a book but most look at his watch and try to find reasons not to buy one :rolleyes:

marcn and Larry S like this.
  19. gnuyork Apr 11, 2021

my favorite modern GMT - would be a great only watch

20. arturo7 Apr 11, 2021

I chuckle every time I see this thread's title.

You at least need to have a dress watch and a casual watch, right?

And maybe a sport watch?

And a watch that you wear to the local pub when there is a chance you might fall down on the way home?

And a cool old chronograph?
    And a diver?
    And a military?

And then you have the whole black band, brown band, steel band thing. I mean you can't get caught wearing a black band with brown shoes, right? And for that matter, black is always black, but brown is never brown. And who wants to swap out the band every morning?

And we haven't even mentioned a world timer or GMT yet.

And you gotta have at least one tonneau case, right?

And? And? Aaaaahhhhrghh!

SmithSJ, GregH, marcn and 4 others like this.