Forums Latest Members

My potential first mechanical watch! 17 jewels 1960 Seamaster

1. Kbr Dec 7, 2019

Dear all,

After 7 months I may have finally found the vintage Seamaster the way I like it. Dauphine hands, batman lugs, no date.
    Thing is I wanted to get automatic but I am not sure it exists with this exterior as automatic. I have now found it as handwound watch, caliber 285.

My understanding is that with batman lugs and Dauphine hands, no date, the only calibers are:
    - 552 (automatic)
    - 600, 601, 603 (handwound)

My considerations...
    - I think the handwinding could be a nice ritual and I don't expect it to be much of a hassle. Is this true and more importantly, are handwound watches less durable? I plan to own this my whole life.
    - Seller says it's a reference 14390-6. What does that tell me?
    - Same question for the caliber: 285. Is this known as a durable Omega caliber? I'd prefer to not have to spend a lot of time and money on maintenance and if I do, I'd hope Omega has original parts to replace potential broken ones.
    - Do you believe this is a redial? Seller says it is not. If it is, I am personally not sure that matters to me that much. If the mechanism in this watch can last for decades more than I don't object against keeping the exterior at the same level of beauty. Personal feeling and very curious what you experts think as I know redials are considered less desirable. Similar ideas about polishing... (I know this is probably considered sacrilege here)
    - Which other factors should I consider when buying?

Many thanks to you all!

K.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 7, 2019

If you post the photos you'll get better answers.

Benbradstock, DaveK, Kbr and 2 others like this.
  3. Rochete Dec 7, 2019

Pics please, thank you.

4. Kbr Dec 7, 2019

With pictures...

3.PNG 4.PNG 1.PNG
  5. Rochete Dec 7, 2019

Edited Dec 7, 2019
    Benbradstock and Kbr like this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 7, 2019

Please to explain "batman lugs"?

Tom

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 7, 2019

BTW those are Alpha/Lance hands not Dauphine.

Lotus_Eater8815 and Benbradstock like this.
  8. OMEGuy Dec 8, 2019

You should be aware of the fact that every mechanical movement and the other parts of a watch need a service from time to time, especially, if you are intending to wear a watch for decades.

9. Kbr Dec 8, 2019

Sorry, posted them now. Cheers.
    Regarding the material on the hands, my rookie perception is that this is a glow in the dark function? Do you know more about this and what things are important to know about this before buying?

Thank you all

10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 8, 2019

It looks beautiful but it is important to make sure it's not a redial.
    I'll let others opine on that as I don't know enough about Omega to say.

Agree the pictures are not good enough.
    You need frontal high resolution pictures - in particular of the "Omega" dial signature and "Seamaster script".

A hand wound watch from that period that's well maintained will be more durable than yourself or any of the machines you currently use.
    I have a hand wound wrist watch from 1916 which is working very well, I wish I could say the same when I'm 103 years old.

Luminous material is supposed to glow in the dark but this one shouldn't if it's original.
    The material used in the days this watch was created, which is called tritium, will have lost its abilities after a few decades.
    However, if it's been redone, it would not bother me if the price is right as it looks very good.

Good luck with it and best regards,
    S

Edited Dec 8, 2019
    Kbr likes this.
  11. Kbr Dec 8, 2019

Hi Syrte, thank you very much for the response. Amazing to get confirmed that this mechanism will outlast me and hopefully the generations after me. Very cool that you have a handwound one from 1916, curious what it looks like!
    I'm getting more pictures of this watch tomorrow, will likely post them here as well as I have no expertise whatsoever in knowing whether it is a redial or not.
    If you have a chance I'd be curious to hear from you in DM what you think is a reasonable price range for this piece.

P.S. I cut your text in the reply a bit for it to take less space in the thread.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 8, 2019

I edited my reply quite heavily to make it shorter and clearer. I also have zero idea about the correct price.
    I really do not follow Omega watches at all. What I told you were basic generalities any vintage watch enthusiast knows.

13. Theluglife Dec 8, 2019

i'd do a simple search online for the reference number and compare it with the example you are intending to purchase. And post more photos as you get them here.

Kbr likes this.
  14. Lotus_Eater8815 Dec 8, 2019

Batman lugs!

+1 on the enjoyable ritual of winding the watch daily.

Kbr likes this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Dec 9, 2019

I'll add another vote for good closeups of the dial before we can give you an answer as to the dial's originality. It looks nice and from the photos you provided doesn't look over polished, better photos will help with this too. The movement in this watch is very durable and if you properly maintain will last the rest of your life. I have several watches nearing or over 100 years old and have no issues with durability or reliability with them.

16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 9, 2019

Sigh. In ignorance I must endure.

Tom

17. OMEGuy Dec 9, 2019

These are no batman lugs. These are just lugs. Otherwise every lugs would be batman lugs, just because we have two ears, usually.

18. Kbr Dec 9, 2019

Thank you. Your 100 year old watches sound great, you must spend thorough attention to their maintenance!

Unfortunately, the seller of the watch at hand turned out very opportunistic and, despite promising keeping the watch reserved until he'd answered my questions, sold it at an exhibition this weekend without any notice.
    So after 7 months, the search continues... :)

I have however learnt that 285 could be great and I have opened my mind to manual wound Seamasters thanks to you guys! :)

19. Rochete Dec 9, 2019

First time I hear about 'batman lugs' existence, those lugs look to me like just ordinary plain common lugs...

20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 9, 2019

No one should suffer on OF, here you go

81q3sRc-e3L._UY550_.jpg

Waltesefalcon likes this.