Forums Latest Members
  1. Lulu Bear May 1, 2015

I have been looking for a black dial seamaster until I stumbled on this watch, which I really like. Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. It's listed for $1000.

"Omega De Ville Automatic gent's watch. Clean and nicely polished original stainless steel case in very good condition. Case model 166.033 and measures 34mm across excluding crown by 36mm lug tip to lug tip. Crown is original and signed. Brand new genuine croco grain leather strap. Original signed crystal. Stunning attractive original finish dial. Fully serviced 24 jewels automatic original Omega movement. Caliber 565 with serial number 31194427 dating this watch to 1970. Has quick set date feature."

[​IMG]

2. ChrisN May 1, 2015

Well, it looks like a 166.0033 from 1970 and seems genuine to me. Here is the Omega data:
    166.0033.jpg
    The hands and dial both look original although I don't like the dirty lume in the hands. Get another opinion on originality of hands and dial though.

So that's the good things but against that the price is too much for me, the case has been polished and the movement has oil smears which indicate it was not the best service. I think the photos are taken in a very flattering way.

You can see the extent of polishing by the writing on the back of the case. For me, the writing should be crisply defined. This is a different model but the writing is much sharper.
    Back.jpg

I hope this helps. Have you looked in the sales forum here?

Regards, Chris

3. Lulu Bear May 1, 2015

Thanks a lot for the comments, Chris - very insightful. I had no idea on any of the issues you've highlighted.

Perhaps I should hold off and keep an eye on the sales forum, as suggested.

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 1, 2015

If you absolutely love it, I wouldn't let the case back polishing bother me. In my mind, there's a difference between collecting and wearing, and the collector view sometimes clashes with the wearing view.

Whether it's worth that kind of money to you, that's something only you can answer. The fact that it has been serviced, something that would cost me $275 from my favorite watchmaker, is perhaps a factor in this decision.

Tom

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 1, 2015

It's a very nice looking watch, and perhaps a bit uncommon with those nice indexes. I wouldn't let the polishing put me off, thought price is another matter.

Regards,

Tony C.

6. Lulu Bear May 1, 2015

Thanks gents.

7. Lulu Bear May 1, 2015

What would be the price you guys would expect to see with this kind of watch?

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 1, 2015

I like the dial too, but the asking price is about two times what its worth.

9. Lulu Bear May 1, 2015

Thank you. That's a substantial difference.

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 1, 2015

I may be wrong but it looks to me like the hour hand is from a different watch.

11. ChrisN May 1, 2015

It can be a bit disheartening when you start posting watches you like here but, don't give up. You have picked a watch with an original dial and hands (I think Dennis might be right, the hour hand looks a different colour) which is a good start. Do have a look here as well and look in the seller feedback forum as that will let you see other's experiences of that seller. For example, @X350 XJR usually has stunning watches as well as good taste in cars:D

You've got a good budget and will certainly get a very nice watch for that amount.

Good luck, Chris

12. Hijak May 1, 2015

As Norm said, grossly overpriced for what it is!:(

13. j.allen May 1, 2015

I absolutely love this watch, even with the problems pointed out. Yes they are asking too much. I too prefer dark colored dials though. If you are looking for a black dialed Seamaster you will have to accept a few things. The original dials are not going to look like this- they do not age as well. The ones that look "new" are going to be refinished. I like the aged look, but many don't.

14. Mothra May 2, 2015

don't forget you'd also be paying import duty on this one...

15. Lulu Bear May 2, 2015

Agreed, I really like the dial and stainless steel case. I found another one on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Automatic-De-Ville-Vintage-Mens-Watch-Caliber-565-1968-/161689707749Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) which appears to be in a better state. Unfortunately, the price is about the same.

Thanks for the advice on the black dials. It sounds like all I have to do is find an original dial that looks as clean and new as a refurbished one. Shouldn't be too difficult!

[​IMG]

16. ChrisN May 2, 2015

Don't forget that you will pay a further 20% import duty on the cost of the watch and the shipping if you are bringing it to UK. With the strong pound and weak euro, you might do better to look in the EU as there will be no duty.

You can find black dials but it might be a long process. Anyway, that's part of the fun...

Cheers, Chris

17. Lulu Bear May 2, 2015

Thanks Chris. Didn't realise the import duty was that much!

18. ChrisN May 2, 2015

I know. It's a bit frightening. Basically, outside of the EU, it's 20% to UK over about $100. You can check it here:
    http://m.dutycalculator.com/

Which county are you in as someone here may know of a local shop?

19. Lulu Bear May 2, 2015

I live in England, close to Southampton.