Forums Latest Members

My Grandfather's 1938 13ZN Mono-pusher

1. River McK Dec 31, 2019

I live in Central New York, but I’m originally from Manhattan. As far as my watchmaker, I currently don’t have one. I would appreciate any suggestions on that front for sure. I haven’t had the need for one yet as all my current watches have not necessitated one. My interest in watches started in my early twenties when my father gave me a Wenger for Christmas. Early on my ability to add substantive depth to my collection was hindered by financial limitations. A Fossil watch here or there....I know, I know. I still have them and like them, but they do not fall into the regular rotation. As time progressed, I procured a Bulova Marine Star and Citizen Eco-Drive . Still not even close to the echelon of Omegas or Longines, but they wear nicely and have been completely trouble free. But my interest in watches continues to grow, now branching out into Seiko. And when I saw my grandfather’s watch I could just tell there was something special about it.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate your input on this watch. I’ve had it in my posession for almost one year now and up until four months ago, I had no idea of the history of Longines and the 13ZN. Can’t wait to learn more, not only about this watch, but the other big players as well.

MTROIS, divetime, JohnLy and 9 others like this.
  2. Tempus Dec 31, 2019

Amazing watch and even more amazing story! thanks for sharing.

River McK likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 31, 2019

Is that Marine Star vintage? Because if so that too, is a pretty special watch.

4. aap Dec 31, 2019

Such a great story and of course, great watch!

River McK likes this.
  5. Radiumpassion Jan 1, 2020

Must be some pretty beefy female springbars. To me it looks like the fixed bars has been cut off. Would be interesting to see some close-ups of this setup:)

Rumar89 and Larry S like this.
  6. moyrules Jan 1, 2020

Awesome piece... take care of it, and enjoy with pleasure that price of history

River McK likes this.
  7. loniscup Jan 1, 2020

What a beautiful Longines ::love:: And the story behind it!!!

River McK likes this.
  8. durri70 Jan 1, 2020

Congrats , you gave got a very special watch

River McK likes this.
  9. JimJupiter Jan 1, 2020

Wow, that is one damn nice looking Longines, including the most beautiful movement in my eyes. Congrats!
    What is the size of the watch? Looks bigger than usual (compared to other watches of this time) to me.

10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 1, 2020

This might be the most beautiful watch anyone has ever posted on OF.

These stories are what keep us getting up every morning and continuing the hunt.

Congrats!

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 1, 2020

Ahh yes. Good point ... I was thinking they were thick.

12. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 1, 2020

Wonderful watch!!!

River McK likes this.
  13. wouter van wijk Jan 1, 2020

what a nice watch and even nicer story!

14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2020

I got a kick that your GF's group visited Savannah's Hunter Field. I live close enough to it I hear the morning gun at 6:30 am most mornings.

Lovely watch and a great story. Take care of it, keep it in the family and make sure your heirs understand it's value and meaning.

15. River McK Jan 1, 2020

Unfortunately, no. I bought it retail three years ago. But now you’ve got my interest in what a vintage Marine Star looks like!

16. River McK Jan 1, 2020

I’ll ask my mother to send me some pictures of them. No guarantees on the pic quality. Seems like every time I see her it begins with a tutorial on how to use her iphone

17. River McK Jan 1, 2020

It is actually smaller than the photos make it appear to be. Without it in my possession currently, I would estimate the dial it to be larger in diameter than a quarter, but slightly smaller than a fifty cent piece. I will use my calipers when I get the watch back and follow up with more accurate measurement.

JimJupiter likes this.
  18. River McK Jan 1, 2020

That would certainly be quite the honor if that is the case. I’m just glad I found this forum, great information and great people!

propervinyl, divetime and OmeGez like this.
  19. speedmistr Jan 1, 2020

Great watch and story, and definitely very valuable. 13ZN, step bezel, double signed multi-scale dial, early mono-pusher. Very nice set of qualities. Dial is lovely and it looks well cared for. I would guess the watch is about 35-36mm in size based on the movement photo... which is a good size for the period.

20. vujen Jan 1, 2020

This watch deserves some nice pics in natural light! :)