My 'Grail watch'. What is your's?

Posts
122
Likes
388
As a vintage Seiko and GS enthusiast and collector, it would have to be a GS 6185 (or perhaps the 6186 day/date) and then the version with the very high hour markers.
(photo courtesy of thegrandseikoguy)
 
Posts
1,004
Likes
1,819
And now I would say my “grails”, by definition unattainable, are colorful chronographs from the 1960s, ie the Heuer Skipper, tricompax and “exotic” Ninas below.
@Syrte
you might be interested in these:

https://monchardwatches.com/products/regatta-blue-on-beads-of-rice?variant=57493771190645

The brand has become quite popular on sister forum Tagheuerforums.com in their WRUW thread:
https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/whats-on-your-wrist-what-are-you-wearing-wruw.19044/page-1244

Strange how such an old post of yours stuck in my mind.
 
Posts
201
Likes
243
@Syrte
you might be interested in these:

https://monchardwatches.com/products/regatta-blue-on-beads-of-rice?variant=57493771190645

The brand has become quite popular on sister forum Tagheuerforums.com in their WRUW thread:
https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/whats-on-your-wrist-what-are-you-wearing-wruw.19044/page-1244

Strange how such an old post of yours stuck in my mind.
never stumbled across this before. it works very well on that bracelet
 
Posts
1,004
Likes
1,819
never stumbled across this before. it works very well on that bracelet
Agreed. I think the bracelet looks great. "Uncle" has a similar one for the Seiko Presage. Hoping for endlinks and 19mm sizing to fit the Camaro one day. @Uncle Seiko 😉
Not too keen on the 24 hour subdial on these mecaquartz but I think this Monard is better than the Seiko and Citizen chronos.
Not sure I'd be OK without any second hand constantly moving without having the chrono running all the time though.
 
Posts
91
Likes
136
The problem with grail anything is they're either unobtainable or if you do attain one eventually there will be another grail to chase after. It's just like the mythical exit watch. There's always something else around the corner.

I've reached the financial apex of my watch collecting. By that I mean the handful of watches I lust over are realistically beyond my means. Doable? Yes, but as a retiree on fixed income and a modest portfolio they wouldn't be prudent purchases. As much as I like some JLC and ALS watches they're too expensive and too dressy for the world I live in 99% of the time. My personal watch budget is capped around $10K USD per watch. Anything more than that requires serious thought and consideration. I've snuck over that line once or twice but it's not something I care to do on a regular basis so no JLC or ALS for me. I'm going to have to admire them from afar. If I come across one I can't live without I'll probably do what everybody else does and sell off 2 or 3 watches to fund the new one. Never say never.
 
Posts
551
Likes
3,928
Posts
993
Likes
5,764
For watches that are theoretically obtainable: the new(ish) VC stainless 222.

For unobtainium watches: a Space Shuttle Speedmaster (with the radial numbering on the sub registers.)

Edit: Also unobtainium, an original Speedmaster Alaska project with 220 error bezel.
Edited:
 
Posts
3,601
Likes
9,158

I don't know about "grail", but I'm very desirous of a original Skipperera. That's the Skipper in the 7753 Carrera case not the later Autavia based Skipper. So the post of the Monchard Panatlantica got my attention right away. How about 38mm diameter, Carrera lugs, less than £500 list! Oh, quartz, well my first Omega was/still is quartz so not a deal breaker. So I looked and looked at it. Errm, date. My Hamilton chrono-matic has a date like that. 60 minute sub dial, well my Speedy has that. Tachy ring, sure I've got more than a couple of tachys. Grains of rice bracelet, yup I've used one on my first Carrera, also 7753 cased. (Bracelet wore out and broke but while attached to a Hema, which survived.)

But all those details, each of which I have on other watches, don't make the sum greater than the whole for me. And a look at the T&Cs shows the price is before import taxes, duties and fees.

Damnit, good try but not this time. I'll have to keep saving for one of the 40ish Skippereras known at £40+ grand. Funny thing, my 7753 Carrera is much rarer at fewer than 10 known with its dial.
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,318
One of my grail watch for a long time, the original Ck2998. By luck and good timing, I was able to acquire a beautiful example of a Ck2998-5 from a fellow Of member.

Another one was the Ploprof for it's unconventional design and uniqueness. Remember watching the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau and and marveling at as a kid. Always thought it was too large of a watch but with the release of the Summer Blue, with the original proportions, wears surprisingly good and deceiving for the case size.

Now that I have acquired them, not sure what the next one will be. Needs to be unique and it will need to me moving some of my collection on before acquiring. Have a lot of watches which I love but don't wear that much. Might as well move them on before getting another safe queen to pull out to only admire.

 
Posts
3,314
Likes
9,952
Boring answer; I have my grail watch, Seamaster 2254.50
A bit more in line with the tread; Globemaster in gold, but I would never spend that kind of money on a watch. It looks really nice though.
Other than Omega; Citizen aq6021-51e. Accuracy + 1 second a year
And the boring display caseback fits right in. Why not a steel caseback, Citizen?
 
Posts
1,462
Likes
6,725
Boring answer; I have my grail watch, Seamaster 2254.50
Even though my 'grail' is an unspoiled blue Tudor 79090 (the only Sub I like, to be honest), I am with you on the 2254.50, @hen. I've owned mine since new and I'll never part with it.
 
Posts
5,342
Likes
76,101
Even though my 'grail' is an unspoiled blue Tudor 79090 (the only Sub I like, to be honest), I am with you on the 2254.50, @hen. I've owned mine since new and I'll never part with it.
I can fully understand your feelings regarding both watches, I gifted a 79090 to my wife & a 2254 to our son ( as I didnt really wear them enough ) .
 
Posts
20
Likes
23
Hi, from my small collection of 5, I think this one because it is small and perfect for my 6.5 in wrist (37mm case size), it " flyes under the radar" , it is solid white gold, it has a Travel Time function and I must confess I also got interested for the brand on its dial. I bought it almost for accident...it was in a reunion with friends where the last I expected was to be it offered it to me.
Regards

 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
@Syrte
you might be interested in these:

https://monchardwatches.com/products/regatta-blue-on-beads-of-rice?variant=57493771190645

The brand has become quite popular on sister forum Tagheuerforums.com in their WRUW thread:
https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/whats-on-your-wrist-what-are-you-wearing-wruw.19044/page-1244

Strange how such an old post of yours stuck in my mind.
Thank you, it looks really great!
in the meantime I got the following watch as a birthday gift!

 
Posts
993
Likes
5,764
Deviating slightly from the “Grail” concept but still filed under the “random object I think is curiously interesting but would cost a ridiculous amount of money to obtain” case file, I find these Heuer built Abercrombie & Fitch references appealing.

They’re a curiosity and I’m interested in the incongruity between what A&F was in the early 1900s versus what it became in the 1990s.

But at the prices they seem to go for due to how esoterically collectible they appear to be, I can’t see these being anything other than safe queens, which defeats the point of watches for me.