My Dads Inherited Vintage Naiad Medicus

Both yours if you want them. (I'm a bit of an old strap nut. Cheaper than collecting actual watches! Psst wanna buy a Bonklip? :-) )

You're not wrong about it being cheaper that's for sure, can't believe your generosity Revo but I accept your very generous offer!...:thumbsup: :) ;).

Didn't know what a Bonklip was till I just looked it up, hope you don't find this disrespectful with you just being so generous I'll decline on that if that is ok Revo?

Kind regards,
Stewart

Stewart Turnbull, 93 Davison Road, Darlington, Co/Durham, DL1 3DS!...:thumbsup:

Wow Revo can't thank you enough, the address I've provided is not my home address it's where I'm staying for this week while in lockdown I've been staying here for a house share, so I'll just wait till I've received your straps before going back to my home address.

Thank you once again Revo it's the first forum I've been on before and the Omega family forum has helped me so much with my dads legacy just like your doing now I appreciate all your help and generosity and can't wait to receive your straps!...:) ;) :thumbsup:

Kind regards,
Stewart

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd send pics of two straps that a lovely guy who you all know, that our Revo gave me.

One is NOS brown leather (a Bravingtons, no less!) and one is quite worn (a black leather Montal). Both made in England, both have the foldover metal tabs for fixed bars and both have one-piece (non-spring bar) buckles, really nice and can't beat vintage so couldn't happier!...:thumbsup:

The Bravingtons looks spot on.

Regards,
Stewart

Super nice strap and beautiful watch. The clasp however should be steel, not gold plated.

Hi Franco,

Nice to hear from you. That's a real shame about the clasp for it looks good against the brown leather, thank you for the extra info!...:thumbsup:

Regards,
Stewart

Super nice strap and beautiful watch. The clasp however should be steel, not gold plated.

It's not a gold plated clasp, it's a solid brass buckle. It will patinate beautifully and is correct for the period. Far rarer than steel, for which we had other uses in WW2.

Bonus, thanks for that for I thought the clasp was a nice buttery looking colour and I love anything to do with brass, thanks once again Franco!... :thumbsdown:

It's not a gold plated clasp, it's a solid brass buckle. It will patinate beautifully and is correct for the period. Far rarer than steel, for which we had other uses in WW2.

Say what you want - steel wants steel.

With due respect, I really don’t think the color of the buckle matters.
It’s a beautiful vintage pigskin strap from’the period of the watch, it’s in new old stock condition. It matches the style of the watch perfectly and they have become much harder to find these days than they used to be. It’s a nice original period buckle that sits underneath the wrist, to me the color is a very minor detail.

@Revo knows his straps and it’s a really nice gift. :thumbsup:

PS now that I’ve read it’s brass it makes even more sense- @Revo, do you have another one of those for me ?
Judt kidding :p

Ooh! So it's a good one then and rare?...;)

Yes it is good and yes now it is rare.
That was a nice gift from someone who’s been for several years a collector of vintage straps and watches from the WWII period, with a big heart, and he’s offered it to you so you can wear your father’s watch gloriously.
Edited:

Say what you want - steel wants steel.

Omega '53 FA on an original strap with brass hardwear.
unnamed.jpg

But, hey, you're right. What do I know?

Looks like that strap was too short and you had to fudge a bit, which I can't exactly blame you for. There isn't a lot of variety available in open end and not many people carry them.

But the entire strap industry hasn't realized people are bigger these days. 115/75 is still "standard" these days, and I can't even buckle that with a vintage Omega.

Omega '53 FA on an original strap with brass hardwear.
unnamed.jpg

But, hey, you're right. What do I know?

Hi Revo,

it was not my intention to diminish the value or beauty of your strap, donated to the OP.

The argument that all buckles were in brass in my opinion cannot be universal, not even in military watches, as for example the widely used Bonklip was in stainless steel. And I have several steel buckles from the 40s, as well as base metal plated nickel or chrome.

You show a military 2777 from 1953, but this was a Naiad medicus, usually purchased by medics and professionals, a different clientele.

Anyway - I have no problems , it's not my watch (unfortunately)
Edited: