Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I don't seem to like their stainless steel watches don't know why. Style or design wise they don't atract me at all.

In the other hand love their leather watches. They look very elegant and sophisticated.

Any thoughts on the brand? Personal experiences? Insights?

Edited Aug 24, 2020
  2. TheNewOmegaMan Aug 24, 2020

I do not have any personal experience with Montblanc but I really like their Nicolas Rieussec model. It just looks so freaking cool to me. I dont buy many leather strap watches so I can't comment on that. What models do you like?

Dimitar Adamski likes this.
  3. wristwretch Aug 24, 2020

I tend to agree. I can’t think of a single watch on a bracelet made by Montblanc that suits me, but I do hold their heritage offerings, in particular, in high regard. My wish might be for some slightly smaller case diameters but on the whole there is just an endless pack of winners here that I think will be looked well upon in the years to come. This is also a place where the distinguish themselves by digging into their Minerva legacy and lean away from the “baby JLC” that it can be tempting to tag some of their offer offerings with.

One place they come out ahead of big brother, in my opinion, is their Heritage Chronometrie Ultrathin. When pondering a formal watch I thought long and hard about picking this one up from MB or going for the comparable JLC that traffics for twice the price. For me the MB was just a better looking, better proportioned watch all around, with an interesting, well appointed, if not true manufacture, movement:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-montblanc-heritage-chronometrie-ultra-slim

Orbit267 likes this.
  4. man winding Aug 24, 2020

I have the Timewalker TwinFly Chrono in titanium introduced in 2011 in a limited edition of 300. Unlike the steel versions (from the time, at least) it has an in-house movement (MB LL100). It was my first expensive watch purchase, after I saw it at SalonQP in London that year, and it stood up to a lot over a good few years being worn every day. I still enjoy wearing it.

I think MontBlanc is overlooked as a watch brand and I agree with you that there’s a good chance they will be well-regarded in the future. They just don’t have the history yet (although in Minerva they do at least have some).

The Heritage Chronometrie Ultrathin you mentioned is a great illustration of the brand - a beautifully-designed watch at a very attractive price point. Unless you have to have an in-house movement (and with experience of servicing on MB in-house movements, I would avoid that in the future), I don’t think there’s anything to not like about it.

NiceWatchMr likes this.
  5. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I like to have at least one leather watch for more formal ocassions and I think Montblanc offerings suit well for this. I also like the Rieussec's and almost all heritage line is pretty interesting.

6. man winding Aug 24, 2020

I think they’re perfect for that. They look great and although they’re expensive they’re a lot cheaper than other options. Do you like the new Heritage line as much as the older?

7. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

Like both. From the new ,the salmon dial ones look great. Also like the heritage gmt. From old twin counter and moonphase.
    Yes prices are from $1500 to $4000.

8. man winding Aug 24, 2020

Haven’t seen the salmon in the metal so will take your word for it. I was not aware of it until I saw your post but really like the simplicity of the chronometrie ultrathin. For me the older models have more of a classic look. I think it’s partly the font on the dial, the branding looks a little sportier on the newer but the blue detailing on the gmt looks great. Have you bought one or just trying to decide whether to pull the trigger?

9. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I haven't yet. In the decission process...

10. man winding Aug 24, 2020

Not to make your decision-making process more difficult but Muehle Glashutte do some very good formal watches. I have the Teutonia II and have lost count of the number of times people have asked if I’m wearing a Breguet. In fact it’s the cheapest watch I own and easily the one that gets the most compliments.

Not sure what their US distribution is like so might be a bit difficult for you to get hold of but worth a look.

GrouchoM likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 24, 2020

I own the Timewalker GMT ... basically a ETA based fashion watch worth a fraction of its retail price. Owning it has not been a great experience. Their repair service, warranty and otherwise left much to be desired. Their Minerva based watches are the real deal. Expect significant depreciation regardless.

12. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I checked them out and they look nice. On ebay they have several.

13. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I have read and heard they have good in house movements. Have to check the minervas.

14. wristwretch Aug 24, 2020

yes, the Teutonia line is very interesting! A little on the large side for the style for my taste and wrist but that’s all that has held me back. Their world timer / gmt is pretty special.

https://us.firstclasswatches.com/mu...-leather-strap-blue-dial-m1-33-82-lb-p-46749/

OmegaRody likes this.
  15. kaapstadflaneur Aug 25, 2020

As @Larry S said -- Montblanc is really a shotgun marriage of two wildly different watch companies under a single corporate roof. MB's lower-end ETA/Sellita-based watches (Timewalker, etc.) are mass-produced and are just a couple of steps above a fashion brand. On the other hand, the Minerva-based models contain direct descendants of the fantastic old Minerva calibres and are still manufactured in Villeret. These watches retain the vintage style of the formerly independent Minerva brand. Over the past few years Davide Cerrato has tried to bridge the gap between the two by bringing the vintage Minerva styling to some of the lower-priced watches with the Montblanc 1858 line. IMHO it's been a mixed bag -- some great pieces (e.g. bicompax chronograph) and some misses (e.g. the super-thick monopusher)...

16. OmegaRody Aug 25, 2020

@Larry S I dont like the timewalker line.
    How about the twinfly ,twincounter and heritage line?

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 25, 2020

Most of these use outsourced movements I’d guess from price points. ... if you like buy, but I’d not pay full retail.

18. OmegaRody Aug 25, 2020

Definitively not willing to pay full price. I had found several between $1500 and 3000.
    But what I would like to know is if they are in the high quality swiss manufacture corner of the brand?

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 25, 2020

They are not from Villeret(Minerva)... not to say they are not Swiss or of high quality.

20. OmegaRody Aug 25, 2020

I mean contrary to mass produced eta/stellita movements