Forums Latest Members
  1. spin_transistor Dec 17, 2020

Aesthetically, this one spoke to me and costs $50k...
    Looks wonderful but it’s selection would need to wait in line behind others I find more appealing, even if used trades for significantly less.

A38C8373-9016-4D1C-A74F-D5539EFF5EA4.jpeg
  2. Mossback Jan 11, 2021

I'm quite smitten thanks for posting this Rahilb..
    We visited a Montblanc AD to see a Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe. I was impressed the dealer. knew it and offered a reduced price but was more than I could spend.

Edited Jan 11, 2021
  3. 64Wing Jan 11, 2021

I want to like them, but nothing really jumps out and grabs me tbh. The Monopusher is perhaps the only one that even remotely entertains me. This is not to say they're not putting out some great craftsmanship. Heck, there are many Omegas, Rolexesezz, etc that I think look simply ghastly despite their obvious elite quality of craftsmanship.

But isn't this all exactly what makes watch collecting/enthusiasm so fun? The myriad of tastes and designs combined in the ether to create a world of unlimited opinions and preferences.

Mossback likes this.
  4. EuroDriver 1st Seamaster 75th Anniversary Owner Sep 22, 2023

Reviving an old thread...

As the old adage goes, never say never - I said I'd never buy a Montblanc watch yet here I am.
    I unwittingly became an Omega fanboy (own 9 of them), and was looking for a more proper dress watch but nothing in the Omega line met my criteria (partial applied Arabic numbers, minimal or no complications, 39-41mm case) and so I started looking outside of Omega. Thus, I found the Montblanc Heritage Automatic (reference 119944 - the salmon dial whose pic is posted further above). I won't receive it until next week, so I can't comment on my direct impressions just yet.

It's not a purist level dress watch, but it does the job for me (I don't need it to be black-tie appropriate). My initial rejection of Montblanc watches was due to the lack of an in-house movement, and the fact that I consider them a brand of writing instruments (I do own a handful of nice MB pens). thus, the same reason I don't buy products from artists-turned-fashionistas, wine or tequila connoisseurs, etc. I buy pens from pen makers, watches from watchmakers, etc. - you get the point.

Then I saw this Heritage automatic and it ticked every box in the appearance department. Funny thing is, that it's a watch "inspired by the Minerva watches of the 40's and 50's," the case is engraved with the name and an image of the Minerva factory, yet it houses a modified Sellita movement. Basically everything I generally avoid, but I liked it enough to go for it.

Speaking of the movement, I found it interesting that it's mainly advertised as having a MB 24.27 movement, which is a modified Sellita SW300. Yet every sample I have found for sale (including the one I bought) states it's a MB 24.26 (modified Sellita SW240-1). The main differences between the two as I understand are that the SW300 is a no-date movement, has slightly more power reserve and the gearing has been upgraded to improve wear and noise. The MB 24.26 likely contains a phantom date/date function and thus might explain the slightly lower power reserve. I did find reference to this watch being MB 24.26 movement in older articles, but I have yet to find a watch that confirms it has the MB 27.27.

I'm a bit disappointed with the misinformation or the quiet upgrade which is not distinguished by reference number or any other indication (if any do in fact exist with the newer movement). I know this is not a high-end luxury watch, but selling new for upwards of $2K USD from a brand trying to establish itself in the luxury watch market, for me this doesn't speak well.

Nevertheless, I'm likely going to keep the watch (unless I find one that actually contains the MB 24.27 movement, which will tempt me to swap it for the sake of the newer and better movement). It's more for the looks that can fit in on occasional dressy situations (which probably few will notice besides me); it also seems classier than a budget watch like an Orient Bambino or Seiko Presage and it didn't break the bank.

I'd be interested to hear from those that own or have owned this reference, what your experience with it has been and if any of you can confirm you have the MB 24.27 movement.

Edited Sep 22, 2023
    Aroxx and DrmexicoII like this.
  5. Mossback Sep 22, 2023

Lovely choice!
    I never would have considered a Montblanc until now.

6. Aroxx Sets his watch Sep 22, 2023

I can’t help with your movement query but perhaps a fun hunt would be finding an actual Minerva instead of just the upgraded movement on the MB. Minerva made lots of dress watches some as late as the 90s and early 2000s before they were bought up by the Richemont group. With patience you could probably find one that would fit the bill. I have a bit of a soft spot for Mont Blanc simply because of their Minerva connection. Although, I wish Richemont kept Minerva alive as its own brand.

7. EuroDriver 1st Seamaster 75th Anniversary Owner Sep 22, 2023

I would love to own a genuine Minerva but for the time being, this watch will do. I was out for a budget-friendly dress watch with a self-imposed budget limit of $1000 and came really close to buying either the Orient Bambino small seconds or Hamilton Jazzmaster. I wasn't fully convinced by either one and then I saw the Montblanc. As usual, I blew my budget by a mile (it wasn't too bad - I picked it up for $1600, which turned into $1740 after taxes) but it's a watch that fits the style I was looking for and that I can be happy with. This is mostly due to the fact that it's going to be a watch that will be worn once in a while, only when my ATs, POs and SMPs aren't up for the occasions that call for a strap, and it's the most appealing I found for the style I was looking for. Also, most of the watches that fit my style of interest are vintage, sized between 33-36mm which look puny on my 8.6 inch wrist.

As far as the movement - It's not a deal breaker but after doing all my research before purchase and thinking I was buying a watch with the improved MB 24.27, then realizing after purchase that it wasn't what I bought is mostly a psychological thorn in my side. As long as the watch runs well and is not noisy, I'll probably forget about it after a while. Of course if I find one that actually has the MB 24.27, I probably won't be able to help myself.

I'll stop here because next thing I know, I might become infatuated with getting my hands on this Minerva-powered Montblanc Heritage Small Seconds.

Montblanc-Heritage-Small-Seconds-38.jpg

Edited Sep 22, 2023
    DrmexicoII and Aroxx like this.
  8. Aroxx Sets his watch Sep 22, 2023

Beautiful watch and a great write up. Thanks for sharing. Here’s the one I saved when I was searching Minerva earlier. No applied numerals but listed around 5k and a lesser finished caliber 48. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Mont Blanc when you get it. Will definitely blow a Bambino out of the water.

IMG_7111.jpeg

9. EuroDriver 1st Seamaster 75th Anniversary Owner Sep 23, 2023

That Minerva is very nice. It looks like a direct inspiration for the MB I got.

Had I run across it before, it could have been the one