Misaligned date Omega refuses to fix

Or, if the date ring were to be exchanged with the result that the 8 is square in the window, I guarantee you with your eagle eye, you’ll find another number (or more) this isn't “perfect”.

I mean look, i know it can not be “perfect” I just wish the dealer would be more caring about my satisfaction. They obviously have pieces that are centered since they display them in every ad.

Truth in advertising says Burger King and McDonald's must take their photos with the actual food items they sell to people ... they choose the absolute best items, at their peak of freshness, and aligned in such a way for the photo as to be closer to the front.

Now tell me if you've EVER gotten a burger that looks even remotely like their photos.

I won't wait.

Truth in advertising says Burger King and McDonald's must take their photos with the actual food items they sell to people ... they choose the absolute best items, at their peak of freshness, and aligned in such a way for the photo as to be closer to the front.

Now tell me if you've EVER gotten a burger that looks even remotely like their photos.

I won't wait.

Comparing food to a mechanical watch is ridiculous and If a burger cost $8,000 you better believe it better look like the advertising.

Just saw this on a De Ville Tresor on ebay. Looks similar to the OP's issue to my eye, but it wouldn't deter me from buying the watch.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 3.42.51 PM.png

Comparing food to a mechanical watch is ridiculous and If a burger cost $8,000 you better believe it better look like the advertising.

Advertising rules are advertising rules, they apply the same to a $8 sandwich as they do to an $8000 watch or an $80000 car and you better believe they ALL skirt the letter of the law.

I won't wait.

Keep in mind food advertising often uses non food items for their photos: glue instead of milk, engine oil instead of maple syrup etc.

Keep in mind food advertising often uses non food items for their photos: glue instead of milk, engine oil instead of maple syrup etc.

Dish soap instead of butter ...

I think they now have to use the actual items. So a lot is camera angles. They can also cut the stuff apart and move it around, So the meat patty looks thicker and wider.

The real question is do frozen meals ever look like the illustration on the cover. Will they every find a way to keep the Ice crystals from forming under the plastic wrap? And why is the center always still frozen?

Such pedantic attitude, is why I do not service watches for others. -- Curious I had loo look up the spelling on wiki.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 1.03.27 PM.png

Perhaps we should start using the work Didactic instead ...

Advertising rules are advertising rules, they apply the same to a $8 sandwich as they do to an $8000 watch or an $80000 car and you better believe they ALL skirt the letter of the law.

I just can't see how advertising laws relative to food advertisements applies to watches made in Switzerland. What rule is Omega skirting concerning the off set date in the OP's post?

Such pedantic attitude, is why I do not service watches for others.
And what do you call someone who is being mocked for excessive attention to detail by a community of pedants? 😁

Dish soap instead of butter ...

I think they now have to use the actual items. So a lot is camera angles. They can also cut the stuff apart and move it around, So the meat patty looks thicker and wider.

The real question is do frozen meals ever look like the illustration on the cover. Will they every find a way to keep the Ice crystals from forming under the plastic wrap? And why is the center always still frozen?

Such pedantic attitude, is why I do not service watches for others. -- Curious I had loo look up the spelling on wiki.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 1.03.27 PM.png

Perhaps we should start using the work Didactic instead ...
The thing they sell has to be in the photo, anything else can be fake. Best example is cereal. The cereal has to be real, the medium can be anything white.

I just can't see how advertising laws relative to food advertisements applies to watches made in Switzerland. What rule is Omega skirting concerning the off set date in the OP's post?

The OP is stating, very pointedly in several replies, that Omega's Advertising shows the watch with the "8" on the date window perfectly centered and he wants his to match. The TRUTH in Advertising Act says that watch needs to be a production watch but they can cherrypick which ever watch they want on camera. but not every watch sold has to perfectly match that advert.

I'm simply relaying what Omega's tolerance is...

Do you happen to know if this tolerance was set with the date window at 3? It seems to me that being slightly further right or left when at 3 o'clock would matter a LOT less; so the axis of measure should probably shift when at 6 o'clock.

The thing they sell has to be in the photo, anything else can be fake. Best example is cereal. The cereal has to be real, the medium can be anything white.

Ah yes, the famed cereal commercial where my milk NEVER manages to look as good as the "miiiilk" on the screen

Do you happen to know if this tolerance was set with the date window at 3?
The tolerance for vertical alignment with the date window at 3 o’clock is the the gap between the digit and the edge of the date window can be 1/3 on top/bottom and 2/3 on the opposite, and still be within tolerance.

If you were to apply this to the side to side alignment in your photo, I think it would be within tolerance.
Emphasis added by me.

And what do you call someone who is being mocked for excessive attention to detail by a community of pedants? 😁
In the land of the one-eyed men, the man with two eyes and OCD is stoned to death

Emphasis added by me.

So; Omega is shifting the date windows on many refs to 6 o'clock, but never re-set the tolerances. What I should really have said in my first post here was, "does Omega have specific tolerances for 6 o'clock, and if so, did they get carried over from the 3 o'clock date window position."

Seems to me OP could go at Omega - if they have no tolerance guidelines for 6 o'clock, that way. Or just argue that (if omega never updated them) that they should do that. may not move the needle, but you never know.

So; Omega is shifting the date windows on many refs to 6 o'clock, but never re-set the tolerances. What I should really have said in my first post here was, "does Omega have specific tolerances for 6 o'clock, and if so, did they get carried over from the 3 o'clock date window position."

Seems to me OP could go at Omega - if they have no tolerance guidelines for 6 o'clock, that way. Or just argue that (if omega never updated them) that they should do that. may not move the needle, but you never know.

That is the only tolerance they have for date window alignment.

You can look at "no tolerance" in two different ways...

1 - That means it has to be spot on.
2 - That means it can be anywhere in the date window and still be okay.

I wouldn't put money on winning the argument with #1...

I agree, I don't think OP can "win" through argument so much as continuing to ask for it to be fixed. It's not unreasonable, however, for Omega to set a tolerance guideline for date windows at 6 o'clock as different than 3. and maybe it would fit well within that tolerance in this case anyway.

Seems to me this is such a weird stance for Omega to take. I completely get that there are tolerances, but if a customer doesn't take no for an.answer the first time and seems upset, just making it match what they advertise seems like the route to go. Generates goodwill, customer is a lot more likely to think that even if this isn't a "Patek" (or whatever) at least Omega was fast to make it right. HAVING tolerances for things being released from the factory is totally ok, but unless it's a HUGE number of people trying to send their watches back more than once for minor issues, it just doesn't seem like repeatedly saying "we know it doesn't look like the ad but it's in spec" is a great stance to take.

This is a date ring from a watch with a calendar. The numbers are from 1 to 31. There are 31 teeth in the middle of the date ring. These teeth are indexed by a date jumper spring which indexes between the teeth. The date ring is advanced one tooth every 24-hours, a new date shows in the window on the dial. There is a 1 in 31 chance that a numeral may not be absolutely in the centre of the window. I’d go a step further. I’ll bet HALF the numbers won’t be perfectly centred in the window.