Forums Latest Members

member skunkprince has passed away

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2023

Shocking news, and at only 57. Condolences to his family...

2. MtnMarine Feb 11, 2023

Rest in Peace Tom. I was able to have a few short conversations with him in my short time here. He was very helpful and always super nice. He will be missed!

Jones in LA and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. M'Bob Feb 11, 2023

I just heard this week from a friend that his sister died, who was my first girlfriend. She was beautiful inside and out. And it made me think how I will never have the chance to tell her how much I loved her, and how special she was.

The point: none of us are promised a “tomorrow.” The outpouring of positive sentiments about what Tom meant to this community is really heartwarming, despite his loss.

Please don’t delay telling people here, and outside of this forum, how much you love them, how they’ve helped you, and how much you appreciate them. You may not get a second chance…

4. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 11, 2023

I love you Bob!

5. M'Bob Feb 11, 2023

Thank you, Steve. Your kindness, generosity, creativity, and good humor shines through in every one of your posts. Right back at you!

6. wagudc Feb 11, 2023

Thanks, now that you remind me I had seen that post.

I understand letting the handle change slide in this case. I wish I had known the two handles referred to the same person. I had wondered what had happened to VetPsychWars. He did have strong opinions which sometimes led to heated exchanges. I am not blaming Tom, sometimes people have a hard time with dissenting opinion. I always liked Tom and appreciated his contributions even when I disagreed with him. As @M'Bob suggests this can be a reminder to express our gratitude and affection to those we know on the forums and elsewhere. I would like to add that this an important reminder that on the other side of the screen across the internet is another human being, please communicate with kindness and remember we can disagree and remain friends.

7. flw history nerd Feb 11, 2023

smorrisonmd and M'Bob like this.
  8. RevZMan123 Feb 11, 2023

I didn't realize that but it makes his Facebook screen name make more sense as that was it was when he invited me in to his "small" circle.

https://www.facebook.com/vetpsychwars?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Not sure how much is public.

Edited Feb 11, 2023
  9. Twocats Married... with children Feb 11, 2023

Rest in peace brother Skunkprince.

pdxleaf and Jones in LA like this.
  10. M'Bob Feb 11, 2023

This is an extremely important point. Like in our cars, surrounded by metal on all sides, behind our computers, we can sometimes be less courteous, understanding, and kind than if we were face to face.

And while I’m espousing all this Gandhi-esque stuff, I am the first one to admit I’ve been far from perfect in this regard. I’ve certainly got into it unnecessarily with a few members over the years.. For that, I apologize. Thank you, Tom, wherever you are, for helping me come to this. And Suzy.

11. rendo Feb 11, 2023

Very sad to hear this. I had no interaction with him during my short presence here, which stopped me from adding to this thread initially, but that doesn't sound right. Rest in peace, Tom.

This reminder from wagudc should be in a sticky.

RI Omega Fan, Thommas, Aroxx and 4 others like this.
  12. TheGreekPhysique Feb 11, 2023

Rest in peace Tom. May your memory be eternal brother.

DaveK, Thommas, JwRosenthal and 2 others like this.
  13. Aroxx Sets his watch Feb 11, 2023

I've been reading this thread but felt the same way as a newbie here. You're right.

Rest in peace Tom. My condolences to his family and all who knew him.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  14. Socks Feb 11, 2023

Sorry to hear this. Condolences obviously to his family, but thoughts to those on here who knew him personally.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  15. 4thOrbit Feb 11, 2023

My condolences to Tom’s friends and family

RevZMan123 likes this.
  16. perks713 Feb 13, 2023

So very sad to see this. I always enjoyed reading his posts :(

17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 13, 2023

Sad news and regrettable. My condolences to Tom's family, to the Forum members who found friendship with him. I only now found this thread.

DaveK likes this.
  18. NVWC Feb 14, 2023

Heartfelt condolences to his family. RIP!

19. Engee Feb 14, 2023

I've been pondering how to respond to this since reading it last night.

Obviously, first and foremost, I want to extend my best wishes to Tom's family.

I didn't know him at all. I don't know anyone here at all. I've had one somewhat meaningful interaction with with someone I bought a watch from, other than that, it's just been commenting on threads. None of you know me. My interest in, and knowledge of watches is nothing compared to most people here whose dedication to the hobby is far greater than mine will ever be. I know that because I know how I approach interests. I don't get deep into anything, but I have interests in quite a few things.

So if I should suddenly die you probably won't know, because I'm not that connected to you all, and I doubt I ever will be. I'll just stop posting, and given that I don't provide useful knowledge I know my absence will probably not be felt. And that's OK.

What this has brought home to me is that this is not just a bunch of geeky watch collectors. This is a real community of people who care about each other and I'm glad I'm here.

blubarb, sheepdoll, Twocats and 10 others like this.
  20. Omegafanman Feb 14, 2023

Very sad news. RIP and condolences to his friends and family - I always noticed his posts and that he was not afraid to have a strong opinion (or change his view based on new information) which is to be respected. My thoughts - well I am at a funeral tomorrow of someone who went from healthy to gone in three months. Caught up in their unexpected health battle I dont think they could fully acknowledge that they might be losing it and so quickly. Given that situation and now the sad and sudden news about Tom, it is a reminder to have your affairs in order (will etc) and leave some notes to help people should the worst happen. Life is 100% for living and enjoying, but if bad things do happen (which they will for all of us at some point) it is a lot easier if you have covered the bases for yourself and those dealing with it during the good times. I am sorting out powers of attorney at the moment so I am practicing what I preach (if a little late :0)

DaveK, Twocats, gbesq and 2 others like this.