Looking for a 1960’s Seamaster for my 70th birthday present to myself.

What do you want to know about the dial being redone? It's redone. What else is there to know? Buy or don't buy, it's up to you. But if you're going to continue to ask about re-dialed watches, I suspect that you're not going to get much feedback from experienced members. For the most part, we avoid them. For me, it would be a total dealbreaker and I wouldn't look any further.

While I'm giving my subjective opinion, I'll add that I wouldn't consider a gold-plated or gold-filled watch for a purchase intended to commemorate a major life event.

In fairness to the OP though, he never stated that he was a collector. Just someone interested in finding a black dialed DeVille for his 70th who came her to get our thoughts. Just like I was when I first joined. My issue with redials is the same one I have with clones. It satisfies an immediate need (albeit superficial), but it also opens the door for these watches to enter the marketplace, where future sellers may unscrupulously or unknowingly pass them off buyers who wouldn't know any better..

Of course, you could always buy a brand spanking new Longines Conquest Heritage 35 mm

65EBFE39-3C20-4B85-95A6-2835BC99607B.jpeg

In fairness to the OP though, he never stated that he was a collector. Just someone interested in finding a black dialed DeVille for his 70th who came her to get our thoughts. Just like I was when I first joined.

I never said that he was a collector or told him what he should buy. I'm just giving my own opinion about what I would do.

I never said that he was a collector or told him what he should buy. I'm just giving my own opinion about what I would do.
Noted.

I mean no disrespect, but your comment "What do you want to know about the dial being redone? It's redone. What else is there to know? Buy or don't buy, it's up to you." sounded a bit....snarky.

I mean no disrespect, but your comment "What do you want to know about the dial being redone? It's redone. What else is there to know? Buy or don't buy, it's up to you." sounded a bit....snarky.

Noted.

I wouldn't buy a redial as a first choice because eventually, you will see the difference to an original dial and will feel let down. As @Dan S is implying, choosing a redialed watch is not something that will be a long term buy, for us. If If I were you, I wouldn't compromise as you also like gold dials and these are more achievable.

More or less, any original sixties Omega will go with your car. Let's be honest, most watches will go with an E-type😁.

The modern Bremont watches do nothing for me and are just trying to piggyback on the success of various watches/cars/aircraft of the past. The prices are far too high for something without any sort of history and little in house design/manufacturing. Smiths have a much better history and a sixties Smiths watch is a nice thing.

Vintage watches, like classic cars, can be a source of major frustration as you won't have any relationship with a watchmaker at the moment and an unreliable watch is just annoying. If you can buy something that has been properly serviced, it will be a much more enjoyable experience. You clearly have a budget that is sufficient so look around and try to find something that has some sort of guarantee. I'm in UK but, if you get stuck, I'll try to help (as will virtually everyone on this forum).

Regards, Chris

Thanks for bringing that stunning watch to my attention Dan! I tend towards something a little simpler, but I like to keep an open mind and appreciate it when someone takes the time to bring an alternative for me to consider.
Again, thank you. 👍 Robert

Yeah, I thought that the dial might be too busy for you, but it's good to keep looking at various options. I know that my own preferences have changed over time. And it also gives you a sense of what your dollar can buy.

Congratulations on your upcoming birthday. A 1960's luxury watch sounds like an excellent way to honour this occasion. I have a birthday coming up in June, as well but my wife says that I already have too many watches. I respectfully disagree on this matter but she says that I don't know my ass from a whole in the ground.

I have a very small collection collection of cars but I don't I have any E-Type Jags. If you are at all open to doing a trade, we could both celebrate our birthdays without any impact to our bank accounts. I don't have many watches that are gold capped but I can probably find a solid gold one that would meet your approval. If you have an attachment to this vehicle, I completely understand and will begin my search for a birth year E-Type.

You will have figured out by now that watch collectors are, in general a fairly obsessive bunch and there will be zero encouragement, or positive feedback towards any watch that you find with a dial that has been repainted. As a car enthusiast, you will no doubt appreciate the difference in value between a vintage classic that has the original paint, compared to one that has been refinished. We want the original dial and hands. Many of us appreciate the signs of age, or patina. For a smaller group of us, if some of that paint on the dial happens to be radioactive and glows in the dark, all the better.

The E-Type Jaguar is a legendary design that is right up there with the all time greats like the Mercedes 300 SL, or the Cord. As an aging car enthusiast myself, I will offer my thoughts. Your birthday warrants something that is more in line with your choice of vehicle: elegant, authentic and reflective of the design language from that era. Forget gold capped, as these watches were for people who liked the appearance of gold but could not afford it. You can afford solid gold in the price range that you are showing us. A simple, 3 hand, solid gold, manual or auto Omega or Longines can be found with dial, hands and case in excellent condition. Forget black, unless you can increase your budget, as it wasn't all that popular and did not age well. A gold Constellation will be considerably more expensive but if you are open to spending a bit more, IWC watches from the 1960's are also beautiful and would align with the status of your car.

Good luck with your search and if the trade is an option, here is an example from my collection.

20200923_073700.jpg

The E-Type Jaguar is a legendary design that is right up there with the all time greats like the Mercedes 300 SL, or the Cord. As an aging car enthusiast myself, I will offer my thoughts. Your birthday warrants something that is more in line with your choice of vehicle: elegant, authentic and reflective of the design language from that era. Forget gold capped, as these watches were for people who liked the appearance of gold but could not afford it. You can afford solid gold in the price range that you are showing us. A simple, 3 hand, solid gold, manual or auto Omega or Longines can be found with dial, hands and case in excellent condition.

Thanks for the welcome and your insights! Unfortunately, I’m not looking to let go of the E-Type anytime soon, or ever perhaps. (I confess to literally having laugh out loud about your comments about gold capped.) And my thoughts from the beginning were to look for a simple, elegant, 3 hand watch. To me, an example of “less is more”. Hearing your comments, as well as the many others who have been generous with their time and knowledge, has got me on a path...
Again thanks for the insights and encouragement.
Robert

There is a premium here, but you might want to consider the Omega Enthusiast. His dials are generally clean, serviced with return and warranty.
Thanks for that recommendation. I read the entire thread, and saw that while some think he’s significantly over priced, others think it more reasonable, considering a serviced watch with warranty. I actually saw a watch there that looks interesting to me...

On here, look at anything by @X350 XJR (for example) as he always has terrific sharp watches - he's a Jaguar man as well...

Cheers, Chris

I know you're looking for an Omega, but here's my 18k gold watch (purchase by my father in '62): I love the thinnest and simplicity, which makes it very elegant.

Eterna Gold Watch - 10Apr2020.jpg