Forums Latest Members
  1. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

Guys, I was hoping you all could help me with this. My father is turning 70 on March 31st and I wanted to give him a really nice watch. On the good old days he owned Vacheron Constantin, Piaget, Rolex, Omega but never owned a Patek.
    After he got older he sold his old watch collection to invest in real estate, financial markets and to open a business but even with the business doing well he never really got around his watch collection again and now a days he only owns a couple of Omegas, a couple of Baume & Mercier and a Rolex Oyster Perpetual date.

He only wears watches that are 36mm max so I was wondering if I should give him a Patek or if you guys have any ideas or know any watches that are from 10k USD to 18k USD MSRP since I wanted to buy one from the store so that he has his name in the certificate.
    I was thinking about the PP Calatrava due to the name and how he never really managed to own one but if you guys have any other ideas please share them!

MJKauz and watchos like this.
  2. Dan S Feb 18, 2020

Personally I think you can't possibly go wrong with a PP Calatrava. What father wouldn't love to receive that as a gift. :thumbsup: I don't know the prices of new ones.

3. janice&fred Feb 18, 2020

not such a bad bunch there already. I didn't know a patek calatrava could be bought new for less than 20k but if you think he will like it then why not.

Donfiore likes this.
  4. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

I saw that the listing price of it was 20k, but I figured I could possibly get a bit of a discount on the AD since here in Brazil the Calatrava isn't very popular.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. Dan S Feb 18, 2020

I'm surprised at that retail price of $20k, but I'm not sure which particular reference you are considering. Just be careful, since that price seems low, even for a reseller. BTW, I believe that the new Calatrava is 37mm. I hope that isn't too large for your father.

MJKauz and janice&fred like this.
  6. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

From what I saw here I was considering this one https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe-watch-5196j-001.html
    But I would buy it from an AD. You're right about the size, I don't think he'll mind the 1mm increase

7. Dan S Feb 18, 2020

I see, this is a grey seller, but they are indicating that the retail price is about $21k. Very nice watch.

Donfiore likes this.
  8. MTROIS Feb 18, 2020

Are you only considering new watches or mint, but used, ones as well?
    In any case, very thoughtful of you!!

Donfiore likes this.
  9. Evitzee Feb 18, 2020

Most people when they get to age 70 aren't all that fussed about something like an expensive watch. Have you talked to him about it?

FBPB, JwRosenthal and Donfiore like this.
  10. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

Exactly, that's what I'm basing my pricing on.

Only new watches, and thank you!

I talked to him briefly about it, I didn't want to let it implied that I was thinking about giving him a watch like that but I had a conversation with him about which watch would he buy today and he said he never owned a PP. And my father is the kind of guy that wouldn't buy a PP for him even if he loves it, but would buy one for one of his sons because they loved it you know? He always puts his sons first and he had to let go a bunch of things because of us so I wanted to give him something special.

But if you guys have any ideas of any Vacheron, Piaget, JLC that would be on this price range I would also be interested.

11. JwRosenthal Feb 18, 2020

This is the most important question I think, he already has a nice collection- perhaps there is something else that he has wanted (or wanted to do) but never got around to or couldn’t justify it. Perhaps a paid vacation to somewhere he has never been but always wanted to go?

Readiness77 and Syrte like this.
  12. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

Fortunately he has already traveled around the world, been to every place he wanted to visit. I don't recall him saying anything about wanting to go any place new.

13. cvalue13 Feb 18, 2020

Will be interested to know whether in Brazil a person can just walk in/out of an AD with even a Calatrava at any discount from MSRP.

With the insanity around their sports watches going between 2-3X of MSRP, I’ve sort of assumed (but not verified) that even their non-sports are experiencing increased demand?

janice&fred likes this.
  14. Donfiore Feb 18, 2020

I will contact the AD tomorrow morning, since it's already 10:48 PM over here. And will post here when I have the answer

MJKauz likes this.
  15. FREDMAYCOIN Feb 18, 2020

Weather he is 30 or 70, you never own a Patek, You merely look After it for the next generation.

16. MTROIS Feb 18, 2020

While the SS models are not available, I would strongly suspect that one can negotiate on a calatrava these days.

Donfiore and cvalue13 like this.
  17. lindo Feb 18, 2020

I applaud your sentiment in wanting to buy your father something special. As a sometime watch fancier during his life, I imagine he has particular likes and dislikes (as we all do). You might therefore want to consider taking him with you to choose for himself - it would be a shame if you surprised him with something he did not subsequently wear.

I understand that you might have trouble getting him to accept the gift, but if it were me I would push him to be part of it on the grounds I was going to buy him a new watch whether he came or not. Once he is in the store he would be hooked.

thelinendial and Donfiore like this.
  18. pongster Feb 18, 2020

If i were your dad, i would appreciate the Calatrava. Wear it exclusively till I die. And bequeath it to my grandson.

MJKauz, Donfiore and Dan S like this.
  19. Dan S Feb 18, 2020

Absolutely. It's exactly the type of watch one might not buy for oneself, but would appreciate beyond words if received as a gift.

Donfiore and pongster like this.
  20. killer67 Feb 19, 2020

I assume he would prefer WG to RG

timeless....btw wonderful gesture for what I am certain is a wonderful man

B48A4FFD-F677-4042-A7A8-C17964257687.jpeg

Donfiore likes this.