Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Jan 10, 2018

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. GordonL Jan 10, 2018

I think the watches are real but the prices are not....

JohnRaz, Dr.K, Syrte and 6 others like this.
  3. JohnSteed Jan 10, 2018

Compare pricing here in FS area. Quite a few examples

htiek likes this.
  4. mydeafcat Jan 10, 2018

His watches are, from all accounts, quite decent. There’s s few I like but I simply can’t afford the USD/CDN exchange. So for me, a tad high in price, especially for SM and SMDVs, but that’s the market for you. (I joined OF too late ;)). I believe @watchdaddy1 has experience with this seller.

htiek, WhatYourWatchSay and Candle00 like this.
  5. Temprus Jan 11, 2018

Good but overpriced watches.

htiek and mydeafcat like this.
  6. Gstp Jan 11, 2018

By the speed they leave his shop I think he would say you're wrong. I think that younger (than on here) watch lovers on Instagram think his pricing is right :)

htiek and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  7. GordonL Jan 11, 2018

You're correct of course. Watches are worth whatever someone will pay for them. His merchandise looks to be good to this newbie. In 5 years time, the prices may look like bargains and I'll regret not buying....

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 11, 2018

Wasn’t this site featured just recently? (past couple of weeks)
    Consensus was a couple of nice Connies but the prices were high.

htiek likes this.
  9. mydeafcat Jan 11, 2018

Indeed. That was the collective observation. Nevertheless, the seller enjoys a good reputation for quality and service.

10. kreyke Jan 11, 2018

I have purchased from him before when I first started collecting. Admittedly, his prices are high to seasoned collectors but he is a dealer and he has to feed himself. The watch in my DP is from him :)

He doesn't deal in franken or redials and he services every single one of his watches himself. I think he appeals to the newbies as a safe buy and his prices are quite competitive compared to other dealers who don't even do a full service on their watches.

Nice guy to talk to as well. Taught me how to fish for omegas on eBay. If you are looking to buy a fuss free watch, I think the premium he charges are worth it. If you're looking for some cheap buy as an investment or to flip, I'd advice against him or any dealers of sorts.

11. watch_nut Jan 17, 2018

I agree with @kreyke. His watches are all serviced and ready to wear. If you factor in the service costs and the warranty offered then to me it's a no brainer. You won't find a deal but some pieces he sells are pretty hard to find in the condition he sells them also. Since we are talking connies, they are so hard to find in original condition. So if youre looking for an Omega i really encourage visiting his website.

MajorCindy, Mark020, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  12. DrBeezy Mar 11, 2018

I believe I fit the description of the buyers you've described above, a newbie, looking for a original black dial pie-pan, who has been tracking the Instagram. ;-)

Wonder what folks here think about the authenticity of the dial on this piece?

http://www.omegaenthusiast.com/OMECONNIEBLKD2TCBOPTFull.html

Dr. B

thelinendial likes this.
  13. GordonL Mar 11, 2018

sold already? how much was it?

case looks quite polished and dial looks almost too good to be true. Medallion seems pretty well polished as well.

I'm not experienced enough to know whether the dial is "untouched" or not. The sales blurb says it is "original", but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been reworked in some way....

14. kreyke Mar 11, 2018

Medallion looks polished??
    F098330B-F056-49B7-9E77-C7C9E310BAD4.jpeg

15. GordonL Mar 11, 2018

maybe just my inexperience? On my (later) Constellation, you can see the brickwork in the observatory. I just assumed that it would be visible here as well. Will need to consult Desmond's Constellation blog!

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 11, 2018

No need
    At this point solid gold Connies had the brickwork.
    It changed later.

Mark020 likes this.
  17. Rman Mar 11, 2018

Not sure why folks bemoan a watch dealer setting prices to make a living. If the prices are too high, buy from another collector or consider making a lower offer.

Mark020, KingCrouchy, felsby and 7 others like this.
  18. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 11, 2018

I've known this seller for a couple of years and have sold him many watches but haven't bought one yet, although he did hunt for something specific I was looking for. He is a good guy and very trustworthy. He won't buy junk and prefers to buy better examples of vintage pieces. He's a great watch repairer too and makes sure the pieces leave his shop in good nick. His prices are a little higher than most of us are used to seeing but worth the price IMHO.

19. kreyke Mar 11, 2018

It’s rare these days to find a dealer that fully overhauls all their watches they he sells. A lot of them use phrases like “checked by our watchmaker” and “oiled and regulated” to mislead buyers. Some don’t even provide a warranty because and I quote “no warranty as it is an ‘old lady’”

Btw I believe the dial is original. It’s true that most black dials are redials but originals still exist. ;)

20. DrBeezy Mar 11, 2018

Thanks for the replies!

We agreed on a purchase price of just under $2600 USD, delivered. That seemed in keeping with prices for similar items I'd seen on Chrono24 and elsewhere, but for items I didn't always feel as confident about. I wasn't necessarily looking for an amazing bargain, but rather something that was honestly authentic, not overly worn, in reliably working condition, and properly serviced.

I agree with the folks who are saying there's nothing wrong with someone making an honest living, and - given my level of experience in these things - would be happy to pay a reasonable premium for knowing a piece was presented by someone who knew and cared about what they're offering.

I don't buy a lot of watches, so when I get interested in something, I tend to geek out a bit on learning the details of a particular make/model, but then wait until I can find a nice example of what I'm looking for as I plan keep it for the long run.

Hopefully, this was a good decision, and something I'll appreciate owning for the next 10-20 years. :)

Readiness77, card0s, DaveK and 9 others like this.