Looking for a 1960’s Seamaster for my 70th birthday present to myself.

Hi all,
At the end of June I’ll be turning 70, and am SERIOUSLY considering buying myself a good watch, which is something I’ve never had, but always admired and desired. I’m thinking if I’ve always wanted it, I should probably get around to doing something about it. Soon . I am a member of some other forums, and as such know the vast knowledge that can reside amongst the enthusiasts! ( I am on Jag-lovers, which has a forum devoted to E-type Jaguars, as I own a 1968 fixed head coupe)

As for my area of interest I’m drawn to black, but maybe gold, dials, and, to my eye, the Deville’s seem to have an elegance over some of the other designs. But a Deville is not a big priority. I want a gold case, and recognize that “more gold is better”, so solid is my preference, then filled, then plated.

In an effort to educate myself as best I can, I have been reading the forum for awhile, and have read the recent saga of VickyG looking for her husband. In addition I’ve read the recommendations / cautions about buying on eBay from sellers that don’t have significant feedback. ( I’ve been active on eBay since the late 1990’s so I’m well aware of the challenges)

I’ve also reviewed the listing in the private sales on the forum, but I have not seen anything there that is still available.
I was hoping I could get some opinions from the members here as I review various options.

To that end, here’s a watch on eBay that looks interesting. Currently bid to about $1,600
I am curious as to what others think of it, and it’s value. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124693223148

upload_2021-4-28_18-42-33.jpeg

upload_2021-4-28_18-41-51.jpeg

upload_2021-4-28_18-44-29.jpeg
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Many thanks for the intro. With patience, by asking advice, by and educating yourself, and with an appropriate budget, I'm sure you will do well. Just a few notes that came to mind as I was reading:

- Gold-capped would be your second choice, ahead of gold-filled.

- Legitimate black dial SM are much less common than other dials. But they are popular and desired, so dials are very often repainted that color. You will need to be extra patient and extra careful to find a good black dial.

- Regarding gold dials, some people like them very much and they can be really elegant. But the visibility of hands on a gold dial is sometimes not very good, which is a concern for some people.

Welcome to the forum.
VickyG is a great example of patience and I hope you have the same.
Our standard advice is to learn what you like and then learn about what you like.
Black dials are beauties but are often misrepresented.
Ask questions, be polite and this place will bend over backwards to help!

I'll be 70 this year and a great watch signifies how it's quality defines and defies age.

Are you looking for a great watch to wear and enjoy or are you looking for a totally correct collectible example?
We are a collector's forum and can be critical in area's that aren't so important to people looking for a nice, wearable watch.

Your example, at first glance, appears to have a repainted dial that looks fantastic but would put off a collector.
Note how the lume dot is inconsistent at 11 and the dots seem to vary as to being above, even or below the minute markers. The "swiss made" font seems non-conforming and it is somewhat word centered as opposed to the more representative phrase centered.

I am often wrong and there are many variations but the experts may concur that this is a "redial", a repainting of the original dial often done as part of a normal service. It doesn't affect wearability but does affect value, especially to a collector's forum.

You are in a great environment to discover your dream, just be patient and ask first!

Dan S

Thanks for your quick reply!

Gold capping. I didn’t know they did caps! Just did a little research on them and see they would be better. Thanks!

Black dials. I had read that a repainted dial would drop the value. As I’m not a collector but looking for a watch to be proud of, is there any other reason to stay away from repainted ones?

Gold Dials. I had a Seiko quartz from the mid 70’s that had a gold face, it was elegant, but I understand your comments about a possibility of being difficult to read.

Again thanks!

Are you looking for a great watch to wear and enjoy or are you looking for a totally correct collectible example?
Thanks for your reply!
I’m looking for a great watch to wear, own and be proud of. So some things that may put off a collector may not be an issue to me. With that said, I don’t want a Frankenstein. (or at least don’t want to buy one, THINKING I’m getting an original piece)

I’m also looking for something from the 60’s. As I mentioned the clean lines of the Deville I find attractive. The Constellations, Pie-pan dials, and others are nice, but aren’t for me.

I appreciate you pointing out the details of the dial! Now I see them, where before it just looked nice...

Thanks for your reply!
I’m looking for a great watch to wear, own and be proud of. So some things that may put off a collector may not be an issue to me. With that said, I don’t want a Frankenstein. (or at least don’t want to buy one, THINKING I’m getting an original piece)

I’m also looking for something from the 60’s. As I mentioned the clean lines of the Deville I find attractive. The Constellations, Pie-pan dials, and others are nice, but aren’t for me.

I appreciate you pointing out the details of the dial! Now I see them, where before it just looked nice...

Just as an FYI, it is conventional on this forum to post photos of watches, not links, if you have questions. This allows threads to have archival value since the photos are hosted by OF. eBay listings are transient. Many people will simply not bother to follow links, so you will get more help if you post photos.

Happy B-day and welcome. Not like deals like this pop up all the time but I got this 66 seamaster for around 50 bucks. It’s certainly not a perfect example but I always liked it. You can still find them at decent prices, not 50 bucks of course but I’ve seen several nice ones here go for reasonable prices. Good luck to you. I’ll put up some picks but no natural lighting they won’t be that good. Oh sorry it’s a 65 my error image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for your reply!
I think this answers your question from the post above, about whether to stay away from repainted dials. A repainted dial is not an original piece. As you become familiar with the original vs. redialed, you'll probably come to agree with most of us here that original dials almost always look superior. You won't enjoy a black dial once you can pick out the signs that it's a repaint, and you'll regret it every time you see a photo of a genuine dial, which will instantly be apparent to you as better looking.

Happy B-day and welcome. Not like deals like this pop up all the time but I got this 66 seamaster for around 50 bucks. It’s certainly not a perfect example but I always liked it. You can still find them at decent prices, not 50 bucks of course but I’ve seen several nice ones here go for reasonable prices. Good luck to you. I’ll put up some picks but no natural lighting they won’t be that good. Oh sorry it’s a 65 my error image.jpg image.jpg

Wow! $50?! I’m not expecting anything like that... And thanks for the birthday wishes, although I’ve still got 2 months to go. But I thought I would start my search well in advance. Of course, if the opportunity comes along, well, I just might have to celebrate early. 😀)

"The case is In superb condition as can be seen in the images with just light wear and a mark on one lug."

Sellers glasses went missing just before they wrote the description. Actual description would be - Gold plated case is beat to shit and polished to death.

Wow! $50?! I’m not expecting anything like that... And thanks for the birthday wishes, although I’ve still got 2 months to go. But I thought I would start my search well in advance. Of course, if the opportunity comes along, well, I just might have to celebrate early. 😀)
Ha ha yeah I know I hope it’s not being an idiot bringing up the fifty dollar thing believe me I can’t find things like that if I look for them you sometimes stumble across them through friends or the odd junk shop but so infrequently (for me anyway) I certainly don’t count on it. I can see why you like the black dials so are so nice looking but I start with the assumption they are redone. I won’t bother giving any feedback on the example you linked I’ll just say a couple of the guys who commented I’ve spoken to and know they are knowledgeable. Ok two months till the big day that’s plenty of time to do a nice hunt and have success. You are being smart asking for opinions people here know these things very well.

Welcome @RobertinWC and congrats on that 1968 coupe! Would you like to share a picture? I know, I know, that’d be off-topic, but then again there are plenty of petrol heads around and... it’s an E-Type!

Regarding your search: 2 month is generally plenty to find a nice vintage Seamaster. 2 month isn’t necessarily plenty to find a nice, original, black-dialed SM DeVille without throwing a considerable sum at it. With the exception of the odd lucky shot, rule of thumb would be: the less time you want to invest, the more money you’ll need to invest (to find a good piece).

The question wether a refurbished dial would be something for you is one only you can answer as I believe we might not be the best crowd to answer this. You might want to ask yourself if a repainted, restored E-Type, possibly without “matching numbers” would be ok for you - and please don’t read this with an implied message, but simply as a neutral question.

Personally, while I wouldn’t buy a redialed watch anymore (unless I’d be planning to replace the dial with a correct one or use it for parts), I completely understand if somebody isn’t deep in the vintage game, has a clear idea of what aesthetics he’s after and would therefore accept a watch that’s simply beautiful, albeit not technically “original/correct”. It’d certainly make it easier to find an example and as long as case and movement are fine I doubt you’d have a problem passing it one with no or a minimal loss, should you find yourself drawn to originality in this new hobby.

Also, as I’m sure is the case for vintage cars as well, there are significant differences to the quality of the restoration jobs on those dials. You’ll find examples that look like they were done by a child with a pen. But there are also ones that were printed, that were done nicely and that couldn’t be spotted as refurbished by non-watch people. Even us nerds here do have lengthy discussions on occasion whether a particular dial was refinished or not. And that’s with enlarged pictures on our computer screens, not looking at a 34mm watch from a distance on a wrist.

Either way, great introduction and I’m sure with some patience members here will be happy to assist you finding one that you like. 😀
Edited:

Yea I think we’d all love to see a pic of that E-Type can never get enough of those

Please submit this thread as a case study for how to introduce yourself and hook an audience! Welcome aboard and happy hunting. Can't wait to follow along on your journey @RobertinWC ! Now, about your avatar...

Yea I think we’d all love to see a pic of that E-Type can never get enough of those
Although it’s acceptable to restore, respray and generally refurbish a vintage car, it’s generally not okay to do the same thing to a collectible vintage watch.

Welcome Robert
as others have said - great introduction
and to echo previous advice, black dials are an absolute minefield to the unwary.

I don't wish to confuse matters but don't dismiss Constellations out of hand, there is a large variation of case and dial styles.
I too generally prefer a simpler, cleaner, watch and tend towards dome dial, rather than pie-pan, Constellations
There are a series of Constellations from the 60s that are quite 'De Ville' like, i.e. simple round case and short straight lugs and domed or flat dials.
As Constellations were Omega's top of the range watch, you are more likely to find a solid gold cased and gold dialled Constellation (known as a DeLuxe)

Have a look at the references; 168.004, 168.010, 168.018 as examples of the simpler cases
You're more likely to find gold capped versions but solid gold cases do come up now and then.

here are a couple of SS .004s, one dome dial and one pie-pan
8ED3E15F-BC67-4C7A-BF6C-CFEB5A51CDBB.jpeg

and some .010s, in SS, yellow gold cap and pink gold cap

EAEDF3DF-891F-4EB7-8D7E-1C11DB9FDE0C.jpeg

Note: gold cases are often less well-defined than stainless cases as the gold is naturally softer and polishes more easily, so finding good examples is a little more difficult. (14k cases tend to survive better than 18k cases as they are slightly harder)

If you want to go to the early 60s with a more shapely lug you can find examples like my 18k 14382 deluxe below - but expect to pay handsomely for a good example

$_57-12.JPG

It’s nice to have the numbers but photos can help.

The top photo is a 166.010 with a 565 movement.

605DB926-B6ED-4DA5-9121-FA8FECCA45E2.jpeg

The next two are both 165.003 with calibre 552 movements.

Both of these have a slim profile (see below)

One of the reasons I like these is the dauphine shape hands.

30EFE198-9D80-4A95-A3B8-158CA793AB15.jpeg

D8B0BABF-D8BB-479E-BB21-CD6D81270B96.jpeg

20139B03-6825-4276-B130-CC734157A5B5.jpeg

There seems to be a huge overlap between lovers of vintage cars and lovers of vintage watches!

If you're open to redials, collectionwatches on eBay regularly sells 60s DeVilles with "professionally redone Omega factory original" dials...😀

You might want to ask yourself if a repainted, restored E-Type, possibly without “matching numbers” would be ok for you
Also, as I’m sure is the case for vintage cars as well, there are significant differences to the quality of the restoration jobs on those dials.
Thanks for the reply, and your analogy of vintage cars to vintage watches is absolutely perfect! Both have a wide spectrum from rusty heaps to low mile originals, and many restorations of different quality levels, some of which were done with what appears to be intent to commit fraud...

My car was repainted by a PO, and it went from yellow to red. For some, that would be a major concern. But it was a decent job, and few can tell. But knowledgeable people know where to look and can tell very quickly. It must be the same here for Omegas.
And since it was requested, here’s a couple of photos. Hope that’s not too much of an issue. (You might notice an affinity for black dials)
E43124A0-B0B3-41E5-989D-9FBB53057DFC.jpeg AB12CD08-0DCE-455C-A202-723090368100.jpeg