Forums Latest Members
  1. JLN765 Feb 20, 2020

Hi, new to the forum and thanks in advance for any advice provided.

I stumbled across this yesterday and am wondering if legit and what I should look out for. This is the only picture I have to work with. The dealer says it’s 100% original.

It’s my first venture into vintage. Everything else I have was purchased new. Before I pull the trigger expert opinions are appreciated.

upload_2020-2-20_17-51-7.jpeg

Thanks,

2. OMEGuy Feb 20, 2020

Looks like a redial to me, but others will chime in...

3. mr_yossarian Feb 20, 2020

Looks like a hollow phrase.

vintage hab likes this.
  4. lindo Feb 20, 2020

I think it is right. Have a look at Banner Roar's post on Monday -
    14900 551 Constellation Black Dial

Comparing his dial with yours I cannot see signs of a redial (but there are others on this forum much more qualified to give you an opinion).

Personally, I would buy it - if you don't want it, please let me know where to follow up.

Banner Roar and Samir like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 20, 2020

I think I might be seeing some serious dial damage under the applied OMEGA logo, near the M and the GA. Can you post a high resolution image so we can get a better look? I'm not saying it's a deal-breaker, but I think you want to know what you're getting.

Samir, ChrisN, ERBM and 1 other person like this.
  6. lindo Feb 21, 2020

I agree. A more detailed image please. Let's hope the 'damage' is a photo gremlin.

Just to clarify, my view on its authenticity is based on the fonts and minute mark placements appearing to exactly match Banner Roar's watch. Putting them side by side on my screen I cannot pick a difference.

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 21, 2020

It’s a black dial and so you have to be cautious but it would be more helpful to the OP if you posted what made you think it is a redial @OMEGuy, rather than just calling it out as a redial.

the picture isn’t great (and you do need good pics when assessing a black dial) but from what we can see, it looks correct to me.

8. cristos71 Feb 21, 2020

Dial looks good to me, maybe some degradation by 'Omega' and the area slightly right and above ' Swiss Made. The case looks a little soft, but I'd buy it if the price was reasaonable

Samir and cicindela like this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 21, 2020

Welcome @JLN765
    First off, you would get many more opinions if you posted this in the vintage watch section, rather than the watch review section.

black dialled Connies are very desirable, especially pie-pans, but are notorious for being redialled.
    To that end, you need really good hi-res photos of the dial to assess it properly.
    This one looks okay but I agree it seems to have severe degradation around the OMEGA logo.
    The bezel is okay but the lugs are quite soft.
    The BOR bracelet is a bonus.
    The crown is a replacement.

ideally, you would want to see inside to assess the movement before buying.

From the dial and with the single T, it’s probably a mid to late 60s 168.005 with a cal 561or 564 movement.

cost is all important here.
    If you desperately want a black pie pan you might be prepared to pay whatever the dealer is asking.
    However, if it is cheap then you may just buy it because it’s an interesting watch.
    (Unlikely if it is with a dealer)

hope that helps.

10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 21, 2020

I can't comment on the authenticity of the dial but I would like to point the case shows some wear. The lugs shape on this model case is called dogleg, and the shape is prone to wear (mainly to heavy polishing during watch service). For comparison the one below has very sharp features. Now, if the dial is truly original and as nice as it appears to be in the picture then the case wear can be acceptable.

Omega Pie-Pan.jpg

Samir likes this.
  11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 21, 2020

Indeed there's damage around the M and A, and maybe some near the center of the dial (where the hands are located). Kinda wonder about the condition of the movement.
    upload_2020-2-21_5-41-6.png

Samir, lindo and Otterina like this.
  12. OMEGuy Feb 21, 2020

I was judging by the clumsy "OMEGA", but, agree that the rest of the dial looks legit.

13. ConElPueblo Feb 21, 2020

One of the first things you should look out for is dealer pricing watches enthusiastically ;)

What is the asking price?

Benbradstock and janice&fred like this.
  14. JLN765 Feb 21, 2020

Thanks to everyone for the help and sorry for posting in the wrong place. I’ve been doing this on my phone while out of town for work. The picture was taken by the salesperson.

The seller is an Omega dealer (I bought my new Seamaster from them). They are asking $1500 for this. When I get home I plan to stop and take a much closer look.

Regards, Jeff

janice&fred and Peemacgee like this.
  15. ConElPueblo Feb 21, 2020

For a professional seller, this is as low as you could wish for. I think this is very acceptable for a black dialed pie pan Constellation with a BoR bracelet, even considering the case condition and wrong crown.

iamvr, Benbradstock, Samir and 4 others like this.
  16. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

Very, very acceptable. It's so acceptable that I would buy it if you dont. So please, pretty please, send me a pm if you pass. ;)

17. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

We call it: "the indirect dibs".

18. ConElPueblo Feb 21, 2020

I know I have a dogleg case lying around somewhere that wouldn't mind this dial as a new friend :D

A very good dome dial in a sharp case = $1000.
    A good, black pie-pan in a mediocre case = $1500.

A very good dome dial in a mediocre case = $800.
    A good, black pie-pan in a sharp case = at least $2000.

I am glad to have far, far too many home projects to complete to have the time for shady watch business :D

19. Shabbaz Feb 21, 2020

There's always room for a black dial connie! ::psy::

Sadly @cristos71 is buying them all...

iamvr, Samir, ChrisN and 2 others like this.
  20. JLN765 Feb 21, 2020

Thanks for all of the good feedback. When I get home I will check in with the seller and see where this goes.