Forums Latest Members

FS LeCoultre Jumbo Steel Porthole Futurematic E502

1. Wlcutter Mar 2, 2023

This watch is tricky in about a dozen ways. I like Futurematics quite a lot, and spent last year chasing down some hard-to-find references. This example came up last year, and I bought it, knowing it'd have some issues, given the condition report notes that the dial—which is original—was likely added later.

The watch has the incorrect movement for the dial: the movement should be a Jaeger LeCoultre cal 817 or 837; instead, it's a LeCoultre 827. It functions fine, has hacking seconds, and keeps good time. So: it's a jumbo steel Futurematic--rare in-and-of itself--that's been converted to a jumbo steel porthole Futurematic. A legit steel jumbo porthole on C24 is currently listed for over $30k, and it's the only one I can find on the market presently. That's quite high, but it's inarguably tough to find examples of this watch.

The watch is, aesthetically, in good shape. The dial's wonderful. While I don't know the service history, it's currently working well. The case has been polished; this isn't uncommon, and there were two steel jumbo Futurematic cases--this one had less pronounced lugs to begin with. The power reserve display, in the aperature at 9, is most commonly seen with a charcoal colorway on steel jumbos. However: the JLC museum's example of this watch has red. Also, from that same webpage, you can see from original advertisements the two steel jumbo cases used for the Futurematic. While this example was certainly polished, it's clearly not, originally, one of the larger-lugged examples.

I love this watch, find it whimsical and incredible, but I don't wear it, and it does nothing for me sitting in the safe; the chase was more fun. I have no idea how to price this. Each part is rare by itself (there were 1000 827s made, supposedly), and each part's authentic, it's just that the watch wasn't born this way. Given all that: I'd like $6000 OBRO. I don't know if that's remotely gonna happen; the market for these in my experience is *extremely* narrow. If you think I'm way off on price, feel free to be in touch and let me know.

The watch and I are in Indiana/USA. I'm happy to answer any questions and provide as many references as requested. Thanks for looking.

IMG_5540.JPG IMG_5675.JPG IMG_5541.JPG IMG_5676.JPG IMG_5542.JPG IMG_5677.JPG IMG_5678.JPG IMG_5673.JPG IMG_5679.JPG IMG_5674.JPG

Rman, Zdzislaw, Robert M and 8 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 2, 2023

I know that the cal. P837 had a grey/black subdial. I've seen a few of them, even though those are supposedly twice as scarce as the P827.

https://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf.forumpost&q=&fi=2&ti=266358&pi=1734161

For the US market, I know that some steel cases were sourced locally and some came from JLC in Switzerland. However, since this is my first time seeing a cal. P827 at all, it is not clear to me what the differences are between the Cal. P827 and Cal. P837.

Someone I used to correspond with years ago on the PuristS told me that towards the end of the run of the Futurematic, JLC and Longines-Wittnauer were running out of specific parts and they weren't particularly careful with what went out the door. I would say that someone could put this watch "right" with a JLC branded rotor.

I'm not sure what else to say, but, now there's something you don't see everyday.
    gatorcpa

3. Wlcutter Mar 4, 2023

No interest on this yet, so let's drop it to $5500 and see if that does anything.

Timetosell and Zdzislaw like this.