Forums Latest Members

SOLD LeCoultre Memovox Caliber 825 Jumbo 38mm

1. bigsom Apr 11, 2018

So as I've continued to restructure the collection the decisions become harder. This is one that was really hard to make, but I think the right one. The memovox is a real icon of watchmaking and this is one of the best caliber 825 examples I found over my years of hunting. This is an American market LeCoultre Memovox from the 1960s with 10k gold filled top case on steel back. Serviced in 2017 by Paul's Watch and Clock Repair.

Dial: When I first saw this dial, I fell in love. This dial has undoubtedly been cleaned before but the consensus by the JLC nuts over at classicwatch it that it has never been relumed or refinished. The center disc is in lovely condition with beautiful sunburst. Just a very clean and fresh dial. Please note that the lume plots have a beige patina which is typical but that the plots at 4, 7, and 10 have some lume loss. The remaining material does glow under UV however (photo included).

Hands: The hands are original to the watch and are in fantastic condition, no cracks or lume loss.

Case: It's so rare these days to find a 38mm jumbo case. These watches really wear super well today. The GF case is in excellent condition with the only points of significant wear are at the two top lugs (please see photos). There is a millimeter of wear along the lug edge of these two. Lugs measure 19 mm in width. Plexi crystal in great shape is likely a replacement.

Caseback: Steel case back with markings for star case 10k gold-filled top bezel/case.

Crowns: Original JL marked with all teeth and sharp. It is correct to have JL marked crowns on a LeCoultre branded memovox from this era.

Movement:
    Caliber 825! The most iconic Memovox movement in excellent condition and serviced in 2017 by Paul's Watch in Sacramento. Alarm works perfectly and has a fantastic hammer buzz when going off. The bumper is just lovely to wear and feeling the "thud" of the 825 as you bring your wrist up to the desk is awesome. Time keeping is good within 10 s/d. The movement also features manual wind and a semi quick set date where the date can be advanced over 9 pm and 3 am sweeps.

Strap: Currently mounted on an inexpensive 19mm leather strap with gold plated buckle.

Price: Offered at 2200 USD shipped in the USA with USPS Priority fully insured. I think this price reflects the the rarity of the jumbo sized Memovox watches and also takes into account the excellent condition which I've tried to describe and photograph as well as I can. If there are any other photos you'd like, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm happy to accept Paypal +3% for members with excellent references, Zelle, Venmo, or Bank Wire. I'll only accept returns if the watch you receive is grossly different than the watch I've described.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 11, 2018
    NT931, fwright00, adi4 and 9 others like this.
  2. Maganator Apr 11, 2018

A gorgeous example. Whoever buys this has got themselves a great deal & a great watch.

sdre, Kmart, shishy and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeMan2727 Apr 11, 2018

Wow, beautiful example! Every collection needs one!

bigsom likes this.
  4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 12, 2018

Sweet one!

bigsom likes this.
  5. sdre Apr 12, 2018

Congrats mate. Your watches are tip top!

bigsom and dougiedude like this.
  6. jam karet Apr 12, 2018

That's beautiful. Congrats on the sale and to the buyer.

bigsom likes this.
  7. bigsom Apr 12, 2018

Thanks guys and thanks OF.

smitty190373 and sdre like this.
  8. wkimmd Apr 12, 2018

That was quick! Congrats to both seller and buyer!!

fwright00 and bigsom like this.