Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rare OMEGA Jumbo Steel Cal. 333 Bumper Chronometre!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 16, 2021

Well, here's one that won't see every day, or week, or year, etc. :D

I am selling a Ref. 2493 cal. 333 bumper Chronometre, housed in a "Jumbo" steel screw-back case. Serious Omega and chronometre collectors know how uncommon these are, and this example was manufactured around 1950. The gold Centenary models which employed the cal. 333 do pop up on the market now and then, but a full steel version with a screw-back case? One could literally wait years before finding a(nother) good, original example!

In fact, I don't think that there has ever been one sold on this forum previously. I have sold a snap-back version with a gold bezel here, but cannot find a full steel example having been sold.

For the uninitiated, the cal. 333 bumper was the last of the big (i.e. 30mm) bumper chronometre movements. You can review the family of related bumper movements below (thanks to https://www.oldswisswatches.com for the very useful graphic!). Note that the very next caliber listed after the 333 is the 28.1, which denotes the downsizing of the movements to 28mm.

[​IMG]

This particular example is in good to very good condition throughout. I believe it to be original with the probable exception of the crystal.

The steel screw-back case measures 36mm excluding the original, signed crown. It is in very good condition, with only a few, mostly light scratches here and there. The ref. 2493 were also used with the non-chronometer cal. 332 sister movements. These are substantial watches on the wrist, and were obviously large for the period in which they were produced, but please note that I have small wrists, so the watch will not appear to be as large on medium to large wrists.

Incidentally, these were actually early Seamasters, produced before the designation was regularly used on the dial. Here is a related advertisement that illustrates the point:

[​IMG]

The dial, while understated, is one of my favorites of the vintage Omega variations. I like the slight contrast between the 3, 6, 9, and 12 indexes, and the others. It is in good to very good condition, and I am 100% certain that it is original. Please note: there are no scratches on the dial! What you see in some of the photos are scratches in the crystal.

There is some finishing lacquer degradation apparent on the outer ring, and fine, widespread patina throughout the face. The original radium is intact in the primary indices, and on the tails of some, but not all of the secondary ones. The hands are in good condition, but do show some light corrosion. The original lume is intact.

The movement is in good condition, and dates to 1949/50. It works properly, but would surely benefit from a cleaning and service. There is some discoloration to the main plates, of a type which is seen now and then. It is working well, and has a pleasing and unusually smooth bumper "action". The cal. 333 chronometres feature the Rg fine regulator, specially polished wheels, and this example was originally adjusted to five positions and temperature.

As mentioned at the outset, these steel 333 Chronometres rarely appear on the market. I cannot recall a single one having been sold publicly in recent years, though it is possible that one (but not two!) escaped my attention. There appear currently to be three gold/gold-capped 333 variations for sale at the moment. Here are links to two of them:

https://www.vwcweb.com/EN/Scheda/32...etre-automatic-bumper-ref-2515-18kt-rose-gold

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omeg...bumper-ref2515-18kt-rose-gold--id20083806.htm

They are both priced (quite optimistically) at ~$6,000.

My watch is difficult to price, given that it is a nice, genuine, and original example of a desirable and rare Chronometre, but with a movement that is cosmetically not as attractive as some. I'm going to try to be very fair, and ask €1750 (or USD equivalent). EMS shipping will be free within the EU, while options outside of the EU can be discussed.

I would prefer a bank transfer, but may consider Paypal as well.

Feel free to ask any questions, and do keep in mind that if you are attracted to the idea of owning a steel 333 Chronometre, you are likely to have to wait a very long time if you miss out on this one!

Finally, note that the photos taken in the direct sunlight show the dial with more gold/yellow tones than would be seen otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 16, 2021
    wrog, Bille, CaptainWinsor and 29 others like this.
  2. MtV Dec 16, 2021

Very, very nice. We’ve seen 34mm non-chronometer-examples sell for that money. GLWS!

Tony C., Zdzislaw and iamvr like this.
  3. Zdzislaw Dec 16, 2021

Very nice and GLWS! ;)

Tony C. likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Dec 16, 2021

If you have been looking to own one Omega bumper- this IS the ONE.

DaveK and Tony C. like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 16, 2021

OHPF!

Very disappointing that I had to wait over an hour to receive a commitment! :D

6. Waltesefalcon Dec 16, 2021

Wow! That one is stunning Tony.

Tony C. likes this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 16, 2021

the build up and suspense was quite impossible to resist :p

Scarecrow Boat, tpatta, tmw57 and 4 others like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 17, 2021

Sold! Thanks to the buyer, and, as always, those responsible for this excellent forum, along with its supportive members. :thumbsup:

George.A, iamvr, Rudi99 and 2 others like this.
  9. COYI Dec 18, 2021

Congratulations to the buyer!
    It took me a while to find my steel-case 333 chronometre
    IMG_20211218_110841.jpg

Edited Dec 18, 2021
  10. cineaste Mar 15, 2024

Wrong thread

11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 15, 2024