Forums Latest Members
  1. LTSmash1200 Aug 3, 2017

Hi, I'm new here, first post. I'm planning on buying my first vintage Omega (either a Constellation or a Seamaster) to wear at my wedding next year. For right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them. One thing that has me a little confused is how to make sure the reference numbers match the movement and dial.

I know about this: http://www.old-omegas.com/omrefcod.html, but as far as I can tell, this only tells you what TYPE of movement should be in a watch, not which caliber it should be and I have no idea how to tell what dial would go with it. So I can be confident knowing, this case should have a chronometer grade movement, but how do I know WHICH chronometer movement should be in it? Also, I have noticed some don't match this convention at all, like the ref: 14381 Constellation, which according to the normal code rules, would be a men's, manual winding chronograph, non water resistant chronometer, but this came with an automatic 551 movement. I have tried to use the vintage section on the Omega website, but I've found it pretty hit or miss. I don't think I know how to use it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Zdzislaw and Stoner like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Aug 7, 2017

Hi Smash :)

Even though this thread isn't really for Q&As, I'll help you out a little. The reference system you mention are newer than the ref. 14.381, which is why you cannot make sense of it. Later Constellations, such as the 168.005, follow it IIRC. With vintage Omegas (and also a number of other Swiss makers) you will have to accept that there aren't any all-encompassing reference guides which will document all possible dial/hands/case references as there are simply too many to list - and then comes all the national varieties, such as the American market ones which is impossible to look up on Omega's charts... You are left only experience and research as ways of recognising which are correct and which are frankens. My guide here is a good starting point, but by no measure an even half-complete guide.

If I was you, I'd try to focus on a specific style/reference of Omega to buy and then soak up all the available information about that particular watch. Don't start going out of tangents, it'll only serve to confuse you. If you'd like a bit more help, send me a PM, and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

3. Steely Aug 14, 2017

This is the thread I've been looking for, just starting out and so much to know, this thread is now bookmarked and will be studied often!

patrick1616 likes this.
  4. blubarb Aug 27, 2017

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, ConEPueblo. A great read! :thumbsup:

patrick1616 likes this.
  5. steelgecko Aug 28, 2017

Fantastic post. I thought from about 1963/64 all Omegas had the T, and ones with Tritium between the late 50s and then had no T? Happy to be corrected, I may have read wrong on this.

6. jaspers Sep 4, 2017

For starting collectors threads like this are incredibly helpful. Thank you. I'm relatively new here, but you guys already have been quite helpful in assessing a 145.022 Speedmaster I considered buying-- of which I now am the happy owner!

The vintage Omega virus has bitten me, and I've stared looking out for a 1960s steel Seamaster Deville caliber 562 or 563. They're around in abundance with white dials, but I'm looking for a black crosshairs dial. From what I gather so far, there are a lot of DeVilles with re-painted black dials. Are there any telltale signs for black repainting? The examples you mentioned in this thread all concern white dials.

Thanks!

seamaster Deville.jpg

7. ConElPueblo Sep 4, 2017

More or less the same markers.

Being a new collector, I would definitely recommend that you avoid black dials of that period, as they are nearly all redials. Rule of thumb is that if it looks pristine, it is most likely, like the one you posted above, a redial. Also, look out for black dials with white lettering. Have a look at the patinated dials I posted, most of those are genuine black dials and have traits that are common on vintage black dialed Omegas.

Valentino88, Zdzislaw, MrBuhl and 2 others like this.
  8. jaspers Sep 4, 2017

Thanks for responding so quickly! These are some helpful pointers. And I missed the whole thread on black dials--really insightful.

I'll be extra vigilant, and will beware of too-black-to-be-true dials. I hope to run into a trusted seller here at some point. Thanks again!

fskywalker likes this.
  9. Basset Hound Sep 19, 2017

Really helpful. Thank you for posting this. Useful to have a reminder in one place of things to look out for.

fskywalker likes this.
  10. MAT_ZAP Sep 20, 2017

Really helpful post! Keep more material like this coming!

fskywalker likes this.
  11. egomez0984 Oct 4, 2017

Thank you for an amazing post!

12. gostang9 Oct 4, 2017

Great information source.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in a watch buying paradox for any used/pre-owned/vintage watch... Watch Buying Paradox.JPG

13. Looneytoons Oct 5, 2017

At least the paradox keeps you on budget.....

Samir and gostang9 like this.
  14. mydeafcat Oct 5, 2017

I joined OF only 5 days ago. I think I've read this post 10 times already. A godsend. Thank you.

sleepingdancer and McKinley like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 8, 2017

You can go back in and edit to remove the multiple references to the post. ;)

fskywalker and mydeafcat like this.
  16. Seaborg Oct 16, 2017

That's me...

17. StupotStokie Oct 17, 2017

Great post, really useful information!

18. peire06 Oct 17, 2017

Amazing post ConElPueblo. Just read it for the first time. Your post should be on the bed side table of every new comer to the vintage watches world.

That's one of the most useful post for new comers I have ever read on any watch forum.

Edited Oct 17, 2017
  19. MrBuhl Oct 18, 2017

Excellent information - thank you!

20. dall-houston Oct 21, 2017

Thank you for the educational write up!