Forums Latest Members
  1. D YOUNG Feb 27, 2017

Great post.

2. François Pépin Feb 28, 2017

tanglefoot and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. michael22 Mar 3, 2017

Thank you, very informative.
    About the Vertex issued watch, it looks like the numerals were resumed, but not the hands. Is that typical?

4. ConElPueblo Mar 3, 2017

I'm not really an expert on issued watches or anything, but if you have a look at some other examples, you'll note that the numerals are white - the were never luminous. The radium that was used for that purpose are the dots next to (some of) the numerals.

michael22 likes this.
  5. somegie33 Mar 7, 2017

Hi! Thanks for the thread it is really helpful. I was looking at this model: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1062353&mid=3710199&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

I found this similar one also: https://www.watchmaster.com/en-us/omega/vintage/2620/5PUAXFW2TK?reference_code=C80LRNGQW4

Do you know any more about this watch? How would it rank as a collector's piece in the overall scale of Omega watches. I like the style of the watch - but I am not too sure about the "Speedmaster classic heritage/vintage 2620" model - do you guys think it will hold its value? Or be a classic of the future? I could also not find out too much about the story behind why Omega created this watch. I would appreciate your advice and insight!

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 7, 2017

Well, I'd be surprised if the one in the TZ ad is still available, seeing as that ad is 9 years old. Since we're digging up old threads :whistling:...there was some discussion on the Speedmaster Heritage watches a few weeks ago in this thread from 2013.

7. Cosd Mar 7, 2017

An excellent post for someone like myself who reads so much here where people discuss good and not so good vintage watches but but understing why.

Thank you.

fskywalker likes this.
  8. Holy moley Mar 7, 2017

Oh thank you so much. I have found a few members willing to take time to explain what to look for when collecting vintage watches. As a newbie but a senior citizen wanting to collect the old vanguard makers, it sure helps.
    Your never to old to learn. This forum and the wus forum, have saved me from buying altered vintage watches from unscrupulous sellers. I pretty much ignore eBay watch sales now.

MacEd, tikkathree and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. pippy Mar 10, 2017

I have a booklet of radium hands that I think are original. Under the brown hands there is brown form radium burn. The green still glows. So could there be watches out there with replaced hands that still glow? This booklet contains a number of hands in different sizes. I do realize that the booklet has protected the hands. But these hands are still usable.
    Thank You IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2996.JPG IMG_2989.JPG

kylepw, tanglefoot, Zdzislaw and 3 others like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Mar 10, 2017

Now that's an interesting piece of watchmaking history! :thumbsup:

I'm not certain that the green hands are radium filled, have you had them checked with a geiger counter? Anyway, you ought to post about this in a separate thread, it's too good to get stuck in here :)

tanglefoot and ahsposo like this.
  11. pippy Mar 10, 2017

I better have them tested first. I will post on a new one.
    Thanks for your response.:thumbsup:

chipsotoole likes this.
  12. WatchWarlock Mar 11, 2017

Great stuff! Even as a "seasoned novice" it doesn't hurt going back to basics. Sometimes when the normal painpoints (dial, hands, movement) pass the test, we pounce before looking at beveling, etc. Who knew simple pictures with red circles would be so useful!

13. chipsotoole Mar 11, 2017

Thanks for this!

HMM likes this.
  14. Sculler22 Mar 12, 2017

Encyclopedic knowledge, and shared with all of us. Many thanks.

15. Dmdbbref32 Mar 15, 2017

Thanks for the great tutorial!

16. macworks Mar 15, 2017

From another one who's new to the watch world but who has a bad case of the "Omegas" I want to thank all of you, especially the photos of the movements and their explanations. I am constantly amazed by how much knowledge there is on OF. Thanks all.

17. LindaO Mar 16, 2017

Thank you...finally found some detailed photos and sound analysis for us newbies together in one forum...generously shared! THANK YOU ALL <3

18. macworks Mar 17, 2017

So I went into a local watch shop today, looking through the watches for sale, found an old black dial Seamaster. Thanks to all the knowledge
    and articles on this site I was able to recognize it as a pretty bad redo. Some of the hour markers were not placed correctly, the hands didn't quite match and the second hand didn't seem right. If I had seen this watch before I joined OF and did my research I would've probably bought it. Thanks to OF again.

Mark020, ahartfie and ConElPueblo like this.
  19. dbmilam Mar 18, 2017

Yes, thank you very much ConElPueblo for putting this together. Very helpful for newbies to the watch collecting world.

20. macworks Mar 18, 2017

My above experience brings up an interesting point - should I tell the watch shop guy his Omega is a redial? I have to think he knows about it, he wasn't there so I couldn't ask him about it. But what is the protocol in this type of situation? Thanks for any input.