Latest addition - CK 2914-1

Dear OF

I wanted to share my latest addition to the collection, as some of you may know my long term goal is to own the first trilogy of Omegas, so to me this was a great milestone achievement, maybe also a naive thought but the fact that this was a -1 iteration made me it more desirable to me..

The watch went on auction in April, it took me some time to study it and take pictures for this post (also haven’t removed the caseback as I don’t feel comfortable doing it myself so I will provide the listing pictures for that), it has a spa appointment with my watchmaker in august.

When checked I n person I think a couple of issues are more evident vs how it was presented in the listing, nothing that bothers me too much but I would appreciate everyone’s comments on my assessment and proposed works.

Dial: the crystal is badly scratched and also has damage, which didn’t help while checking online, my feeling was that it should however be in good condition, and I think I was right, I tried to take pictures from multiple angles to show that most of the perceived flaws are due to distortion from the crystal, will ask for a clean picture of the dial aro my watchmaker. I also have high hopes about the lume wells being intact and filled with radium, I ordered a cheap Geiger counter in amazon, will add readings once received although I have no idea what the read should be, I just expect the thingy to start screaming.

Crown: in my pictures is more evident that the auction houses’ it does not look like the original one and also lost its polishing.

Case: this is probably the part that is in worst condition, there are heavy signs of use, I’d say also polished since most of the edges have smoothened, but I can live with it. There’s a protuberance on the side near the crown that I have never seen before, I am not even sure how it generated and would appreciate if someone could tell me what’s the best thing to do, leave as is or should the watchmaker do something about it? Weirdly enough there’s a similar protuberance in the upper end link..

Hands: they look to me as correct BA hands with nicely patinated lume, seconds hand also correct

Caseback in good condition, with correct spacer and soft iron cover.

Bracelet and endlinks: 7077 with 6 single-notch endlinks, not in the best shape but better have it than not.

Movement: cal. 284 15Mln serial, I only have the auction houses’ pictures and they show a clean movement, will know more after watchmaker’s assessment.

What I’m thinking to ask my watchmaker to do:

- Full movement service
- Sourcing the right crown and crystal
- Wouldn’t touch case or caseback, but that protuberance really bothers me.. anyone has any ideas how to make it more likeable ?

Thanks a lot to everyone who will share their opinion

3EBE9A75-A849-4038-8469-77659577BA02.png 1FD1EC65-BF84-4CE4-BD6B-6E985654512E.png BBA97622-0CF5-4653-8B71-78805D603A0D.jpeg 33C28084-24CF-4839-95CB-015FB607670E.jpeg 50D2AAC8-4FB3-4140-8F1E-D88FAE7E0CEA.jpeg EFF1FD03-70D6-4DF0-BEEC-DEECB68F926C.jpeg 1B699BCF-4CC7-4D10-86A2-2EDBA5E0DD07.jpeg B7B88EB9-4046-4A14-B5F1-BDE11F795FA1.jpeg 713E2699-6925-467B-BE8B-0567FBD1549E.jpeg 52BAA0B8-5CBC-41A4-9180-548820856A2A.jpeg CDB66484-07F4-4AB4-8103-5DC36335C5CB.jpeg 8492503B-9417-4B02-87A3-317C60BBE825.jpeg 72E5B45C-07FA-4A97-B583-E6B231164E86.jpeg 665617B8-7789-4C32-BDEB-780DB455DE5C.jpeg

Like 27
Oh my God!!!
What a fantastic watch !
If I am not wrong, this is even the rarest sub-reference of the trilogy (well, maybe the seldom seen 2913-1 is equally rare).
Wonderful...

Like 5
Just look at the color of the numerals I have a feeling that the dial behind the scratched crystal is very likely to be a good one. Congrats!

Like 3
The “protuberances” look to be attempts to correct case damage by a prior owner and their watchmaker. My feeling is that any attempt to correct this is not going to end well. It is part of the history. So long as the damage is just cosmetic, I’d leave it alone.

If the crystal is a signed original (which I think these had, although not 100% sure), then there is no harm in investing a few dollars in some Polywatch, old T-shirt, Q-tips and elbow grease to try to improve the appearance. I’m not sure the current Omega recommended replacement crystal is going to have the same profile and finding an unused original is likely going to be a multi-year adventure.

A new crown might be a quite jarring look, given the age and wear on the case. If the crown is functional, I’d leave it alone and stay away from water with it. A top notch watchmaker may be able to clean out remnants of the old seals and replace them to preserve some semblance of water resistance, but that’s it.

Beautiful example of a very scarce reference.
gatorcpa

Like 3
Oh my God!!!
What a fantastic watch !
If I am not wrong, this is even the rarest sub-reference of the trilogy (well, maybe the seldom seen 2913-1 is equally rare).
Wonderful...

Oh wow, I didn’t know it was that rare, I still think 2913-1 is rarer but good to know!

thanks

Just look at the color of the numerals I have a feeling that the dial behind the scratched crystal is very likely to be a good one. Congrats!

Yep, my feeling too.. can’t wait to see it naked ::love::

Thanks for the nice comment! :)

The “protuberances” look to be attempts to correct case damage by a prior owner and their watchmaker. My feeling is that any attempt to correct this is not going to end well. It is part of the history. So long as the damage is just cosmetic, I’d leave it alone.

Thanks @gatorcpa, are you saying some welding attempt? That’s unfortunate, I will ask for some macro shots to see if some clues..

For the crown my feeling is that it is not even the original shape, maybe I’m wrong? If it was correct maybe a service like replateit and then ageing it to for the overall condition? I don’t want to be too intrusive but at the same time I don’t think I like the look of it as is..

appreciate everyone’s comment, I won’t take any critic too personally I promise

thanks

It's just weld spatter. Someone was wearing the watch while doing some welding.

Like 8
Congratulations, beautiful watch. Enjoy it in good health. :thumbsup:

Like 1
It's just weld spatter. Someone was wearing the watch while doing some welding.

Damn, I thought these watches should only be used when mowing…

Is it something that can be easily removed in your opinion?

Like 2
Damn, I thought these watches should only be used when mowing…

Is it something that can be easily removed in your opinion?

Yes, but IMO I would just leave it as part of the watch's history. I recall years ago getting a Rolex in with weld spatter all over it - the owner's father wore it while they did projects together, and after the father died, he wanted to make sure that wasn't removed during service. It was a reminder of the time he spent with his father.

Like 8
Another vote for keeping the welder's splatter, it's part of what makes this wonderful watch unique. They were tools, used by people who made stuff, and all the better for it. I mowed the lawn wearing my Ed White this week, just because I can (and no I didn't mow over it)!

Like 5
For the crown my feeling is that it is not even the original shape, maybe I’m wrong?
Here’s an advertising picture of the original Railmaster:

upload_2024-7-12_16-40-9.pnghttp://www.old-omegas.com/3high.html

I think the crown shape is pretty close. Less is more.

But it’s all up to you.
gatorcpa

Like 2