Latest addition - CK 2914-1

What`s the exact outer diameter of your crown now ?

Let me get back to you on monday when i'm home, appreciate your help

What`s the exact outer diameter of your crown now ?

So I used the best caliper I could source around and the reading says 6.5mm.

I also received my Geiger counter from Amazon, attaching the reading, it was making quite some noise..

1A0E683D-5D97-48D8-8ADA-1E42E75C2B0A.jpeg 45890BD4-A1F9-4516-9F4F-81F25B4D1C54.jpeg

Like 1
You could possibly get that weld splatter near the crown to pop off but it'll take surgical precision to not scratch the case. A fresh scratch will look 100 times worse.

It's likely the hot splatter made a surface bind with the case, as opposed to melting the case and combing the two metals. If you could get a dental probe under a crevice in the splatter while the case is locked down, you might be able to apply enough leverage to get it to pop off.

You'd probably have a discolored spot at best, and maybe a pit. There's a large potential for causing more damage. Someone who lasers and restores cases like LA watchworks might be able to remove it without doing damage.

I imagine most people who read this will have an apoplexic fit. It's not something I would attempt myself. But I think it's possible. I worked as a welder while in college and had lots of experience with splatters. Some came off, others didn't. The worst ones were the ones that went into your boots between your ankles. I had a lot of socks with holes.

Not impossible, but not likely to be removed without damage.

Like 2
Hi everyone, as an update:

The watch is with my watchmaker, initial pictures of the dial show it’s in good condition.

Movement needs service but its in good shape.

The crown unfortunately needs to be replaced, I’m no expert and I may have the wrong English terms but the crown and the stem are no more completely attached to each other so I think that will take some time and probably I will have to find a service replacement because I understand originals are almost impossible to find.

The glass may be salvaged but there’s a noticeable crack, not sure if it’s a sign but in the past couple of weeks I saw a couple of posts of people worrying about radium in their watches and one of the most reassuring comments was: “it’s nothing to worry about, as long as the plexy has no damage and its well sealed” so now I’m also thinking about a replacement plexy, just for peace of mind.

I think it will take some time before I share a wrist shot..

27A4CEAC-D94F-4DFA-8F8D-269EC11ACE19.jpeg 6C8657E9-2418-4381-9349-17A058BF71E0.jpeg DB62CFB4-0CE0-4048-A70A-0FD99BE64CF2.jpeg 4D122125-111A-4167-A192-78F2EC28101E.jpeg

Have a good weekend all.

Like 12
Congrats to a lovely watch!
And I always love a one owner (and Swedish...) watch!
:)
That was a hard watch to assess with only the pictures from the auction house.
But I do understand that you were there during the viewing?

It was an exciting auction to follow!

Looking forward to your pictures after the watchmakers work is done!

Like 1
Huge congrats!!
Dial is very nice, that lume color is just perfect...

Hope to see the finished results soon, under a clear crystal perhaps!!

Wow, what a nice watch!
Excited to see how it turns out

Congrats to a lovely watch!
And I always love a one owner (and Swedish...) watch!
:)
That was a hard watch to assess with only the pictures from the auction house.
But I do understand that you were there during the viewing?

It was an exciting auction to follow!

Looking forward to your pictures after the watchmakers work is done!

Thank you for the kind words @hansaboy!

I didn’t go in person but I purchased before from them and they have a good service, always happy to share additional pictures by request. Based on those I was certain the dial was in good shape as most of the imperfections were on the glass, from there it was a matter of setting the max amount I was ready to splurge for a -1 with a nice dial and hands, a fair case and crown and a nice plus in the bracelet and endlinks :D

Thank you for the kind words @hansaboy!

I didn’t go in person but I purchased before from them and they have a good service, always happy to share additional pictures by request. Based on those I was certain the dial was in good shape as most of the imperfections were on the glass, from there it was a matter of setting the max amount I was ready to splurge for a -1 with a nice dial and hands, a fair case and crown and a nice plus in the bracelet and endlinks :D
The curators they have are very talented, and always helpful!
Once again - congrats!