Kid searching for my first vintage Omega + Advice

I am 27 and I love vintage Omega's and vintage watches in general. I started off with newer watches but realized that most of my attention/interest went back to vintage, mostly Omega, so I have been trying to find something to start off my collection.

I am trying to find something like the photos attached. I would really like a BOR or era appropriate bracelet if possible just cause I want the whole feel of originally wearing the watch new (not a big deal if not though) and with a recent service history but I am probably being naïve in thinking that's possible? Does anyone know of anything like these around the $400-600 price point? Is that even possible or am I completely insane lol? I am trying to learn as much as I can so please explain if possible.

Really at the end of the day I just really want my first vintage piece that I can enjoy and wear daily.

Also I am terrified to get anything on eBay because I don't know enough to tell if the dial is original and unaltered or if the crown is original, etc. etc. but I am trying to learn!
s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg

How is 27 years old a kid?

Anyway keep your eyes peeled on the private sales forum on this site - I’m sure you’ll find something that you like - plus more reliable than eBay :)

Welcome. Although I’m 40 now, I was 27 when I got into vintage watches.

I’d say it might help to hone your taste before commuting to buy. The examples you’ve shown show quite a spread of styles and periods, from 50’s to 70’s so to avoid wasting money and/or spreading yourself too thin, nailing down your preference would help. Of course, if you’re less concerned about the money, simply buying and wearing a number of watches from different periods is a great way to start and hep you decide what you really like. It just often ends up with you selling a fair few pieces which can be a pain, time consuming and ems up costing you a bit of cash as you’re unlikely to buy that well at the start.

And …. if you do see a nice watch, and eBay isn’t a bad place to look, post photos and questions here before you bid, preferably a full face shot, a movement shot and an inside caseback shot.

Check out the seller’s description and avoid (without troubling OF) any description that includes the words; restored, redialled, refinished, refurbished.

Welcome to OF! All good advice noted above, and here's a few threads to keep an eye on. You'll enjoy the advantage of knowledgeable/seasoned collectors that enjoy the hunt as much as the purchase sharing what they consider worthwhile examples with the community.

First piece of advice is to be patient and don't rush in. With time, research, training of the eye, and basic efforts, you'll grow in confidence and find a nice vintage piece to start the collection.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-377

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...y-other-auctions.113139/page-361#post-2158317

It will be tough to find a nice Omega with a BOR and serviced for $400. The first watch you posted may be close.
Look for early Geneves or De Villes, manual wind. They cost a little less if you like the style.
A thorough service can run $400, simple clean and lube maybe $200.
A good BOR is 150-200.

Yeah in response to your actual question, it will be extremely difficult to get a decent, serviced Seamaster with BOR for $400-600.
It would be better to focus on a nice watc head only, and even then you may need to bump your budget slightly for the service, then source a bracelet later.

You can still probably find a nice late 60’s Geneve (not much difference from the Seamaster) for your price- maybe with a BOR, but the bracelets were optional at the time so unless the original purchaser paid extra for it, they would have come on leather. Seems more common to find Connie’s and Seamasters on bracelets than Geneve’s.

I agree with the sentiments above to focus on finding a clean original watch head and add a bracelet later as funds allow (they are abundant and pretty price stable). Don’t be so focused on trying to land the package deal that you pass on a nice condition watch for a lesser condition one, just because it has a bracelet.
You may get lucky on eBay and find a nice runner (if you really educate yourself on what to look for), but it will need a service eventually and the more you wear it before the service, the more you risk running it on dry and dirty parts.
Nice watches that meet your tastes pop up in the private watch sales section here commonly so keep your eyes open. You can PM any seller and start a conversation.

Thank you all for the advice, I have already learned a lot just from the suggested threads and advice.

Thank you all for the advice, I have already learned a lot just from the suggested threads and advice.
And created a cute little avatar- well done

You can still probably find a nice late 60’s Geneve (not much difference from the Seamaster) for your price- maybe with a BOR, but the bracelets were optional at the time so unless the original purchaser paid extra for it, they would have come on leather. Seems more common to find Connie’s and Seamasters on bracelets than Geneve’s.

I agree with the sentiments above to focus on finding a clean original watch head and add a bracelet later as funds allow (they are abundant and pretty price stable). Don’t be so focused on trying to land the package deal that you pass on a nice condition watch for a lesser condition one, just because it has a bracelet.
You may get lucky on eBay and find a nice runner (if you really educate yourself on what to look for), but it will need a service eventually and the more you wear it before the service, the more you risk running it on dry and dirty parts.
Nice watches that meet your tastes pop up in the private watch sales section here commonly so keep your eyes open. You can PM any seller and start a conversation.
so for a learning example would this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/3347059154...rentrq:4d9ed83f1870a45ea8e483abffff5262|iid:1
be a good consideration? to my untrained self nothing stand out as bad except being expensive (for me)

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.

Looks like a nice honest watch. Time keeping says it needs a service so figure that into the budget, could also incur import duties depending on where you are located.

My first vintage Omega was a Seamaster Cosmic. I still have it after 25+ years.

You can write that one off, it has a really badly refinished dial! Compare it to the one in your original post above.

You can write that one off, it has a really badly refinished dial! Compare it to the one in your original post above.
is that because the seamaster and cosmic are pretty thick? and maybe the indices lines as well?