Kid searching for my first vintage Omega + Advice

is that because the seamaster and cosmic are pretty thick? and maybe the indices lines as well?
Correct, the script is off, and those indices lines are the major give away to me (I'm still learning what to look for!)

Wow!! That mind blowing to see side-by-side. I had no idea
This is how we learn. You see enough of them you can spot them quickly. There are of course dial variations and style difference from one to another, but the details like fonts and indices placement and case finishes rarely vary.

Idaho so probably lol. I love them. I have been eyeing a Seamaster Cosmic for half a year but just no idea what's a fair price. I was looking at that one and this one but like I said before anything past $400 is hard for me to afford.

It takes some time to train your brain to spot all the little differences between redials and originals. If you like Cosmics then may I suggest a thread with lots of great examples of original dials and some basic info: Seamaster Cosmic Club – Pics, Info & Buyer’s Guide

I own three Cosmics and paid on average $600 per watch but you definitely can find them cheaper, somewhere around $350-400.

$600 for a decent vintage Omega with BoR would be a bargain, but if you search in out of the way places you may be able to find one if you are patient and not too picky. Buying one on the internet from a reliable seller, you will pay a little more. To calibrate you, I recently sold this on the private sales forum for $780. A non-Seamaster would probably sell for a little less.

1550966-78343a1b47144d0d093e6d098a9ef8c1.jpeg

$600 for a decent vintage Omega with BoR would be a bargain, but if you search in out of the way places you may be able to find one if you are patient and not too picky. Buying one on the internet from a reliable seller, you will pay a little more. To calibrate you, I recently sold this on the private sales forum for $780. A non-Seamaster would probably sell for a little less.

1550966-78343a1b47144d0d093e6d098a9ef8c1.jpeg
wow thanks for the info I didn't know any of that. I have definitely come to realize how hard it is to find a quality piece on ebay especially after learning so much on here. Also I really love that watch it has a lot of class.

It takes some time to train your brain to spot all the little differences between redials and originals. If you like Cosmics then may I suggest a thread with lots of great examples of original dials and some basic info: Seamaster Cosmic Club – Pics, Info & Buyer’s Guide

I own three Cosmics and paid on average $600 per watch but you definitely can find them cheaper, somewhere around $350-400.
I am looking at it right now! lol do you find those for that price on here?

I am looking at it right now! lol do you find those for that price on here?

I got the watches from Chrono24 and Catawiki. Not a lot of Cosmics pop up for sale on Omegaforums and when they do, they are not usually super cheap (i.e. $350). But then again most of the watches sold here are nice and honest examples from seasoned collectors; condition is a huge factor when it comes to valuing vintage watches.

Hello @trey4481 and welcome to the Omega Forums (OF)! Here you will find a real gold mine of useful information that will help you from knowing what you like to spotting fake dials or frankenwatches. You are arriving among us with a 'tight' budget and a wide selection, but with time and as you will become an addict like all of us :), these perspectives will change. With time, you will get a bigger budget and you will learn to know what appeals to you. Here on the forum, many people get as much pleasure learning about new references and narrowing on new targets and then chasing them as actually owning them. I created a thread about special dials on Omega Seamaster watches, which was for a long time a universe that only seasoned collectors knew about as many of these dials are quite uncommon if not rare. Now you can discover a lot of them in a single place, here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-a-guide-to-special-dials.151225/

These might not be a target for you right know but knowing about these might help you later. The more you know, the more you will gain in efficiency on your collecting journey.

But Norman, that’s the Searnaster with the fancy Cosmic script! ;)

Oh nice! I was looking for a nice Searnaster to go along with my Omega Constipation! :cool:

Hello @trey4481 and welcome to the Omega Forums (OF)! Here you will find a real gold mine of useful information that will help you from knowing what you like to spotting fake dials or frankenwatches. You are arriving among us with a 'tight' budget and a wide selection, but with time and as you will become an addict like all of us :), these perspectives will change. With time, you will get a bigger budget and you will learn to know what appeals to you. Here on the forum, many people get as much pleasure learning about new references and narrowing on new targets and then chasing them as actually owning them. I created a thread about special dials on Omega Seamaster watches, which was for a long time a universe that only seasoned collectors knew about as many of these dials are quite uncommon if not rare. Now you can discover a lot of them in a single place, here:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-a-guide-to-special-dials.151225/

These might not be a target for you right know but knowing about these might help you later. The more you know, the more you will gain in efficiency on your collecting journey.

Oh nice! I was looking for a nice Searnaster to go along with my Omega Constipation! :cool:
The Searnaster was made for the great Texas steak competition of 1968.

The Searnaster was made for the great Texas steak competition of 1968.

Mmh now these big fat lugs are literally dripping with meat juice...

Screenshot-20230405-022459-Chrome.jpg

The... What?!

Ornega. :whistling:

ORNEGA collection:
- Searnaster - for nasting in the sear.
- Searnaster Thirsty - for thirsty nasting in the sear.
- Speednaster - for nasting faster.
- Railnaster - you got the idea by now.
- Constipation - pushing everything further.
- Ranch Hero - good with horses.
- Jane Eve - that one needed a name too.

Coming to an ORNEGA store near you.
Edited:

Don’t waste your time on eBay - it’s high risk, even when you are well informed.

Stick around here and buy a piece from a well-known member.

Don’t waste your time on eBay - it’s high risk, even when you are well informed.

Stick around here and buy a piece from a well-known member.
I disagree - although eBay is a minefield (and maybe 1 in every 100 watches are any good) I have bought a much of my collection on there. That said I do not recommend it for people who are impulsive buyers. You need to purchase after an in-depth evaluation of the originality through research, experience or a bit of both. There is risk for sure especially for a beginner - but I wouldn’t write it off completely. Unless of course you have no time to learn and do you research in which case, yes stick to the selling pages here - as you’ll be in good hands

I disagree - although eBay is a minefield (and maybe 1 in every 100 watches are any good) I have bought a much of my collection on there. That said I do not recommend it for people who are impulsive buyers. You need to purchase after an in-depth evaluation of the originality through research, experience or a bit of both. There is risk for sure especially for a beginner - but I wouldn’t write it off completely. Unless of course you have no time to learn and do you research in which case, yes stick to the selling pages here - as you’ll be in good hands
I thinks it’s a bit of column A & column B. Heed the advise of others and learn from their mistakes, but how did many of us learn to begin with.
Like you much of my collection came from eBay, but I have sold off more than I have kept over the years. I can say the learning experience, although expensive and sometimes tear inducing, was priceless.

I thinks it’s a bit of column A & column B. Heed the advise of others and learn from their mistakes, but how did many of us learn to begin with.
Like you much of my collection came from eBay, but I have sold off more than I have kept over the years. I can say the learning experience, although expensive and sometimes tear inducing, was priceless.
A vital learning experience if someone wants this to be a long term hobby in my opinion and for me a lot of fun too! I have also sold more than I have kept - but this has helped me hone my tastes where access to vintage watches can be quite difficult, without initially investing in them. Unless you're very lucky and have a friend with a magnificent collection... :)