Just joined the Forum! Now I need a Speedy

Hi All
Joining the Forum, seeking knowledge in preparation for my first Speedmaster.

Looking for a model in the 42mm size. I have a vintage Poljot 3133 which I like in a Cold War/Space Race kind of way.
The 3133 wears small for my wrist at 39mm so thinking 42 would be spot on.
However, I've never seen a Speedy IRL so I'm going on internet research as far as sizing and specs etc..
Thinking for my first Omega I'll search for a Professional, wonder if there is a "What you want to know, buying your first Speedy Pro" sticky here on the Forum?

For me, this Pro would be a daily driver because I'd have to sell my other watches to afford the thing, but I'm at that point!

Hope to meet some of you on my journey to ownership and knowledge.

Best Regards-
Rob

wonder if there is a "What you want to know, buying your first Speedy Pro" sticky here on the Forum?
Welcome to the forum. The burning question is Vintage or Modern?

Welcome to the forum. The burning question is Vintage or Modern?

Yo Thanks!
That's a helluva question. It's like trying to decide what to name your rock band; Mouse Rat or Rat Mouse!

Yo Thanks!
That's a helluva question. It's like trying to decide what to name your rock band; Mouse Rat or Rat Mouse!
Or Scarecrow Boat or Jet Black Pope
😉

Modern has its advantages for daily wear but vintage has all of the charm. There isn’t a sticky for how to buy a Speedmaster, but there is an entire website dedicated what you need to know for vintage, and the creator of that site is a member here:

https://speedmaster101.com/

Yo Thanks!
I'd imagine that the Modern, post 1995(?) is more accessible with my budget. Really comes to what I can afford. Which do you like? Pro's-Cons?
Thanks

Or Scarecrow Boat 😉

Modern has its advantages for daily wear but vintage has all of the charm. There isn’t a sticky for how to buy a Speedmaster, but there is an entire website dedicated what you need to know for vintage, and the creator of that site is a member here:

https://speedmaster101.com/
Nice!

Which do you like?
My daily is a modern reference 👍 If you give it a little time you’ll start to receive a bunch more comments and suggestions. We love Speedmasters here.

Never seen this version before, how many Speedy's in your collection?
Is there a big price difference between vintage and modern?

I'd imagine that the Modern, post 1995(?) is more accessible with my budget. Really comes to what I can afford. Which do you like? Pro's-Cons?
Thanks
Post 2000. It used to be post ‘71 were the bargain, then people realized they had step dials until ‘76, then it was ‘76 on were the bargains…until everyone realized those all had tritium until around ‘99-and those went up, so now it’s post ‘00 when they switched to luminova…but pretty soon those will go up as the 861 was indestructible…and the cycle continues of finding any reason each version of the Speedmaster is special.
Speedy’s from ‘00-around ‘10 are the current “value”, can be had for under $3.5k or less if you are a smart shopper and don’t care about full kit or some mild scratches. You can also be picky about condition with that era as they are plentiful and new-ish.
If you get into the debates of strait lug, step dials, applied logos and lollipops, alpha hands, butterflies and rainbows you will go broke and crazy. If you just want a Speedy as they truly are all-so-fυcking-similar, early 00’s are your target.

Second hand 1861
Tried and tested over the years (3861 still has bugs that are coming out)

Strap monsters so be prepared to buy some straps over the years.

Post 2000. It used to be post ‘71 were the bargain, then people realized they had step dials until ‘76, then it was ‘76 on were the bargains…until everyone realized those all had tritium until around ‘99-and those went up, so now it’s post ‘00 when they switched to luminova…but pretty soon those will go up as the 861 was indestructible…and the cycle continues of finding any reason each version of the Speedmaster is special.
Speedy’s from ‘00-around ‘10 are the current “value”, can be had for under $3.5k or less if you are a smart shopper and don’t care about full kit or some mild scratches. You can also be picky about condition with that era as they are plentiful and new-ish.
If you get into the debates of strait lug, step dials, applied logos and lollipops, alpha hands, butterflies and rainbows you will go broke and crazy. If you just want a Speedy as they truly are all-so-fυcking-similar, early 00’s are your target.
"strait lug, step dials, applied logos and lollipops, alpha hands, butterflies and rainbows you will go broke and crazy"- Ha! I'm no stranger to rabbit holes like this in other genres, I have BMW motorcycles, Yamaha Drumkits and Japanese Knives, oh boy. I appreciate you cutting through with the '00 suggestion!

Other than this site, where would you have me buy this Speedy?
Thanks

Hi Chef_Rob,
I'm new here too, just wanted to share my experience. I picked up my first Speedmaster Pro White dial from an Omega Boutique on Regent Street, London a few weeks back and could not have been more impressed with the incredible customer service I received. I was made to feel like royalty, offered champagne (I declined, I don't drink), given Olympic freebies and I tried the watch on, had it professionally adjusted, and had a really good chat and introduction given to me about it's history and valuable tips on operating it correctly. Even them getting me to feel the crown when winding and what it feels like when fully wound, something I might not have known otherwise. If you are buying your first Speedmaster I can really recommend going to a boutique. I'll remember the experience that I received for a lifetime.

Hi Chef_Rob,
I'm new here too, just wanted to share my experience. I picked up my first Speedmaster Pro White dial from an Omega Boutique on Regent Street, London a few weeks back and could not have been more impressed with the incredible customer service I received. I was made to feel like royalty, offered champagne (I declined, I don't drink), given Olympic freebies and I tried the watch on, had it professionally adjusted, and had a really good chat and introduction given to me about it's history and valuable tips on operating it correctly. Even them getting me to feel the crown when winding and what it feels like when fully wound, something I might not have known otherwise. If you are buying your first Speedmaster I can really recommend going to a boutique. I'll remember the experience that I received for a lifetime.

Wow, you didn’t fυck around for your first time out.

It's true. I'd been wanting a watch for a long, long time, and when I saw the white Speedmaster there was absolutely nothing about it I didn't like. There's still quite a waiting list at authorised dealers in my area for this watch, but the Omega Boutique had one in so I went for it and very glad I did. Great experience.

Of course once you have a Speedmaster you will need a Seamaster, quickly followed by a Railmaster and will be unsatisfied until you get a Flightmaster which in turn will expose your need for an X33, this will cause you to see the necessity of getting a Constellation, upon gaining the Cony you will feel a void in your existence the can only be filled with a Ranchero it which point you will realise that life is meaningless without a De Ville and so it will go on ad infinitum……then you’ll want the pocket watches!

Of course once you have a Speedmaster you will need a Seamaster, quickly followed by a Railmaster and will be unsatisfied until you get a Flightmaster which in turn will expose your need for an X33, this will cause you to see the necessity of getting a Constellation, upon gaining the Cony you will feel a void in your existence the can only be filled with a Ranchero it which point you will realise that life is meaningless without a De Ville and so it will go on ad infinitum……then you’ll want the pocket watches!
Agreed ...it will lead to "Watch Acquisition Syndrome" which has no known cure, but purchasing more and more watches seems to ease the symptoms.

This path to enlightenment may even lead you to various distractions on your way, the number of these distractions is many and varied they have names such as UG, Longines, etc. But there is one that is to be avoided at all costs it is the embodiment of pure evil it’s name is Rolex

I would definitely suggest trying one on before buying, I find speedies can look better in pictures than on the wrist, just my opinion. Visit a few AD’s they will be happy for you to try on, it’s time well spent.

IMO the previous generation caliber 1863 is a great gateway drug and can be had at a great price. Added benefit of being a Sapphire sandwich so you can stare longingly into the movement, along with some additional durability to the crystal. highly opinionated discussions between sapphire and hesalite though. Hesalite has some positives. Sapphire has some different positives. Eventually you will own both so no reason to fret.

They pop up here and c24 and many other places. Check the seller listings here for some great sellers.