It seems we get a newcomer requesting help here almost daily, so

I have taken the liberty of coming up with what I will call "Nuggets for Noobs". Here we go......

1) Intro: Some of us are sticklers for a proper introduction. So with your first post please include not just your name, but anything about your life that might be remotely of interest starting from pre-school through current day.

2) Research: We at OF are a VERY busy lot, which is why we are only able to spend 3-4 hours a day talking about something as silly as an old watch. So you lazy bastards, do a little legwork yourself. There is a fellow called GOOGLE out there that seems to know quite a bit about a lot of things. Check with him first, and with a little luck you may find you don't need our help at all!

3) Pictures: We love them, so please include some with your post. Or of sheep, for the Aussies. We will then insist on better pictures.

4) Acquisition: When acquire your vintage Omega, many of us would insist you immediately send it to a qualified watchmaker for service. Do NOT under any circumstances wear it, wind it, or even look at it for any extended period of time. Doing so puts it at extreme risk of spontaneous combustion. Others of us take a more relaxed approach: as long as even one of the hands is moving at all, wear it and enjoy it. If you need to know the time, look at your phone like normal people do.

5) Responses: Once you have posted your initial crappy pictures, you will start seeing replies. At least one OF member, who may or may not have any idea what he is talking about, will tell you your watch is "heavily over- polished". Another, who may or may not know what he is talking about, will say your watch has a "bad redial". But do not despair..............

6) Because: If, after reading the above drivel, you still want to learn about Vintage Omegas, you have struck the Mother Lode. The most knowledgeable collectors in the world regularly post here, and their level of expertise is incredible. More incredible is their willingness to share their expertise with commoners (like me). We were all Noobs at one time, so welcome aboard.

I hope that helps (nod to Gator).

Steve
Edited by a mod:

Like 24
I'm all for newcomers being welcomed without conditions. I've seen far too many ridiculed for asking simple questions....mostly because some other new folks asked the same questions over the years. I'm a guy who cares about efficiency. What is more efficient, googling for hours to find out which dial was used on a 105.002 and very likely never finding an answer....OR asking a group of people who LOVE to talk about nitpicky details of exactly this kind? Why pretend that it's a problem for a new person to ask how many 2998-4s were made. It makes much more sense to just ask in this forum. As for introductions, I'm not bringing these new people into my home. They don't need to shake my hand bring a gift. As long as they aren't overtly rude or poorly behaved, I say bring on the questions and don't worry about the few old timers who act like their time is just too valuable. My opinion.29152.1 copy.jpg

Like 11
What I always find baffling is when newcomers argue with information that is given by members.

Like 13
What is more efficient, googling for hours to find out which dial was used on a 105.002 and very likely never finding an answer..

I don't think there's any issue if a new person said they were googling for hours to find out which dial was used on a 105.002. It's the 1st time poster who simply says "Can you tell me about this watch I got from my grandfather?" Someone who obviously hasn't done a minutes worth of research to find an answer.

Someone who obviously hasn't done a minutes worth of research to find an answer.
And to add to this, I can guarantee they won’t see this thread… if they won’t put in the effort to research their watch, they won’t search for a guideline on how to post on the forum. Much like the “stickies” that used to be available for them.

Drive-by posts will continue to happen. At least some of them turn into some form of amusement for the forum.

Like 8
What I always find baffling is when newcomers argue with information that is given by members.
This is what usually leads to a newcomer being ridiculed or mocked, IMO, not just asking a common or ignorant question. It’s when they don’t like the answer and complain about the responses.

Like 6
Hello All,
As a new comer I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Andrew from Regina Saskatchewan Canada. I've been creeping around the forum for awhile and found this to be the perfect opportunity to introduce myself. I love collecting, researching and reading about anything watches especially Omega. I look forward to learning from this community.
Attached is a picture of the 3 omegas in my collection. All of them were sourced locally which is really really hard around here.
image-67163393.jpg

This is the first I bought around 20 years ago when I was in my 20's I believe it's an 80's 166.0281
image-67239681.jpg

I think this to be a 1959 KO 2907 with the cal.321 in it.
image-67215361-1.jpg

My recent purchase purchase this 14700 1960's something.

Like 10
This is what usually leads to a newcomer being ridiculed or mocked, IMO, not just asking a common or ignorant question. It’s when they don’t like the answer and complain about the responses.

Give a man a fish, and he'll ask you to feed him for the rest of his life. Try to teach a man how to fish, and he'll break your fishing pole out of frustration.

Like 9
OF has folks who are well versed in many brands, watches, pocket watches and clocks. See sub fora. We are happy to help but please show some initiative, introduce yourself, provide background, especially if your are the owner of the watch and not looking at it on line. So when you get an answer, it’s an answer. It might make you happy, It might make you sad or of late, angry, but say thank you at least. Don’t throw shade or insult the community that just helped you.
Edited:

Like 5
Hello All,
As a new comer I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Andrew from Regina Saskatchewan Canada. I've been creeping around the forum for awhile and found this to be the perfect opportunity to introduce myself. I love collecting, researching and reading about anything watches especially Omega. I look forward to learning from this community.
Attached is a picture of the 3 omegas in my collection. All of them were sourced locally which is really really hard around here.
image-67163393.jpg

This is the first I bought around 20 years ago when I was in my 20's I believe it's an 80's 166.0281
image-67239681.jpg

I think this to be a 1959 KO 2907 with the cal.321 in it.
image-67215361-1.jpg

My recent purchase purchase this 14700 1960's something.
The first one is "heavily overpolished". The second is a "bad redial". And the third needs to be serviced immediately. :)
Welcome to the forum!

Like 1
The first one is "heavily overpolished". The second is a "bad redial". And the third needs to be serviced immediately. :)
Welcome to the forum!

happy to be here!!

Like 2
Edited it to remove the suggestion that will get people banned, just keep it to watch photos for the benefit of everyone.

Like 3
Can a Seamaster be worn while at sea? Or do you have to be the “master” of the ship?

Like 1
I am a relative newcomer to Omegaforums. I primarily collect Accutron Tuning fork watches, well anything that has a tuning fork and a lot of electrics. I have about ten vintage Omegas, hand wound and auto. I also have seven Omega f300's. As a newcomer I find these forums incredibly informative, especially this specific one. I have learned so much about researching here. I have corresponded privately with several members including gbesq and JwRosenthal. I have found them to be very helpful on specific questions I have had. Some of the newcomers that post here react sharply to some of the comments they receive from members here, but I have found they are deserving of these comments. They come here, not prepared with the right questions, poorly informed, lacling in data or photos and seem to be seeking free advice you members have accumulated with years of collecting, discussing and experience. I pay doctors, lawyers and car mechanics for advice and guidance. I don't expect those here to charge for advice, but much of the advice given here could be quantified in dollars and sense. I believe you give advice for the love of the art of your collecting and passion for watches. I for one am extremely happy to be a "newcomer" member here.

David Rosenberg

Like 7
I am a relative newcomer to Omegaforums. I primarily collect Accutron Tuning fork watches, well anything that has a tuning fork and a lot of electrics. I have about ten vintage Omegas, hand wound and auto. I also have seven Omega f300's. As a newcomer I find these forums incredibly informative, especially this specific one. I have learned so much about researching here. I have corresponded privately with several members including gbesq and JwRosenthal. I have found them to be very helpful on specific questions I have had. Some of the newcomers that post here react sharply to some of the comments they receive from members here, but I have found they are deserving of these comments. They come here, not prepared with the right questions, poorly informed, lacling in data or photos and seem to be seeking free advice you members have accumulated with years of collecting, discussing and experience. I pay doctors, lawyers and car mechanics for advice and guidance. I don't expect those here to charge for advice, but much of the advice given here could be quantified in dollars and sense. I believe you give advice for the love of the art of your collecting and passion for watches. I for one am extremely happy to be a "newcomer" member here.

David Rosenberg
I feel the same way