Forums Latest Members
  1. Fargs Jun 25, 2020

image.jpg Hello I’m new to watch collecting and was wondering if anybody could help me ascertain whether this is real or not. Thank you image.jpg image.jpg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 25, 2020

Real, yes.

Based on the back of the watch I'd say the top/sides of the case have been refinished as has the dial.

Davidt likes this.
  3. Fargs Jun 25, 2020

Thanks for your reply. Real is very pleasing indeed, I appreciate your informed opinion as it was a drunken ebay buy. As for the top and sides of the case I can see the cleaning marks by some abrasive material. I apologise for my ignorance but how would they refinish the dial. Also could I ask if anybody would know the year and cal. of this model.

4. Davidt Jun 25, 2020

The case looks to have had some serious refinishing as the shape is very ‘off’.

the dial has been cleaned back to bare metal then repainted.

Unfortunately both of the above significantly impact collectability.

It’s probably early-mid 70’s, with a calibre 1012 and likely started off as a Cosmic 2000

5. dan7800 Jun 25, 2020

How 90% of the watches are purchased.

UncleBuck likes this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 25, 2020

Still, hopefully you enjoy it for what it is

7. Fargs Jun 25, 2020

Thanks for your answer. I have checked other blue dials and they seem to darken towards the edges instead of the consistency of colour on this dial. As for the shape being off,do you mean that they have scoured a mill or two too much on various planes, which is obvious. Again I must apologise for my ignorance but when you mean it started off as a Cosmic 2000 ,does that mean someone has tinkered and renamed whilst repainting the dial. As for collectability, I paid £600 for it and although maybe not pukka , I do like it. Hopefully it is worth that if it gives me joy, please tell me if I'm way off on price Again if someone could pinpoint the year, that would be fantastic thank you

8. Davidt Jun 25, 2020

As for the shape being off,do you mean that they have scoured a mill or two too much on various planes, which is obvious.

The case has been subject to quite an aggressive, naive, polish to my eyes.

Again I must apologise for my ignorance but when you mean it started off as a Cosmic 2000 ,does that mean someone has tinkered and renamed whilst repainting the dial.

yes, when repainting the dial, they didn’t include the ‘2000’ text which I think was probably originally present.

As for collectability, I paid £600 for it and although maybe not pukka , I do like it. Hopefully it is worth that if it gives me joy, please tell me if I'm way off on price

It’s certainly not worth £600. More like £250. If price is a factor I would strongly consider returning it. If you like it anyway and aren’t bothered about market value, then what’s a couple of hundred quid if you’re happy.

Again if someone could pinpoint the year, that would be fantastic thank you.

The only way to pin point the year is for you to get the serial number from the movement and apply to Omega for an extract of the archives. This will give you a production date and country of destination etc. Even without an extract, the serial will allow you to date it slightly more accurately but it’s circa mid 70’s

9. Fargs Jun 25, 2020

What I wanted was an honest answer and thank you for your candour. I do like it but I think if the disparity is £ 350 I could buy something slightly better. I am a newbie so appreciate all the help I can get

10. ConElPueblo Jun 25, 2020

Forget the 200 post rule, this is the rite of passage for Omega Forum members :D

Welcome to OF mate :thumbsup:

simomega, UncleBuck and wilderbeast like this.
  11. Fargs Jun 25, 2020

Thank you for the gracious inclusion to the club, but what is the 200 post rule.

12. wilderbeast Jun 25, 2020

The 200 post rule is that you have to make 200 meaningful posts before you can sell through the private watch sales section of the forum. It’s seen as a rite of passage because the knowledge here is awesome and worth sticking around to glean. Some people come on here and try and race to 200 quickly because they recognise this is a great forum and have something to sell.

I’ve just bought a Cosmic 2000 and I’m no expert (having only recently hit 200 posts myself), but I can tell you that I think this model was introduced in 1972 and that my watchmaker has just given me hell about how tricky these are to open! But I think they are a funky slice of early 70s design and there is some love for them here. I’m surprised someone has redialled yours, to be honest, as it’s not the easiest watch to mess with.

Edited Jun 25, 2020
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 25, 2020

Really? Someone must have slipped something into my drink and I am hallucinating.

14. Fargs Jun 26, 2020

I’m glad you picked up on that. I was a bit confused but didn’t want to say anything. Thanks