Is this even a knock-off of an Omega watch, let alone legit?

Long story, not so short. This was my Grand Fathers watch. He sadly passed about 20 years ago, and my Father gave me my Grand Fathers "omega" watch back when he passed. So I've had it 20 years
I consider this a massive honour, regardless of how legitimate or not that it might be. It was apparently my Grand Fathers favorite watch. Because It was his favorite watch, I really couldn't care less whether it's legitimate or not.
It could be worth $20 or $20K, it doesn't change what it means to me.
Plus, it's kind of amusing and within my grand fathers personality that what becomes a family 'heirloom', is a fake. Not saying he was a scammer, just a joker. And for sure, regardless, I will pass this watch down to one of my son's, or grand sons, if I ever get one.
Now, over the years, I have looked for this watch online, for insurance purposes, and have never found anything like it. Hence why I think it's some sort of konck off. Granted, I have no idea what I'm looking for.
FYI - When my father gave it to me, all those years ago, he had something 'fixed'. I don't know if it was the glass, or the caseback (which appears to be a different color), or both. Anyway, here's the watch. Thoughts?IMG_5668.jpg IMG_5672.jpg IMG_5669.jpg IMG_5673.jpg IMG_5670.jpg

Like 3
Long story, not so short. This was my Grand Fathers watch. He sadly passed about 20 years ago, and my Father gave me my Grand Fathers "omega" watch back when he passed. So I've had it 20 years
I consider this a massive honour, regardless of how legitimate or not that it might be. It was apparently my Grand Fathers favorite watch. Because It was his favorite watch, I really couldn't care less whether it's legitimate or not.
It could be worth $20 or $20K, it doesn't change what it means to me.
Plus, it's kind of amusing and within my grand fathers personality that what becomes a family 'heirloom', is a fake. Not saying he was a scammer, just a joker. And for sure, regardless, I will pass this watch down to one of my son's, or grand sons, if I ever get one.
Now, over the years, I have looked for this watch online, for insurance purposes, and have never found anything like it. Hence why I think it's some sort of konck off. Granted, I have no idea what I'm looking for.
FYI - When my father gave it to me, all those years ago, he had something 'fixed'. I don't know if it was the glass, or the caseback (which appears to be a different color), or both. Anyway, here's the watch. Thoughts?IMG_5668.jpg IMG_5672.jpg IMG_5669.jpg IMG_5673.jpg IMG_5670.jpg

Hi, and welcome to Omega Forums!
It could be fake.
It doesn't look fake to my (inept) eye.
It looks like it's from the 1960s, and it's value is probably closer to $20 than it is to $20k.
It's probably in dire need of servicing. I wouldn't advise you to wear it until it's been checked out and had it's mechanism oiled and cleaned- otherwise you run the risk of damaging its internals. Servicing is likely to cost something on the order of a few hundred dollars - which is probably close to its resale/insurance value. As it's an heirloom it's TRUE value is in its relation to your father and grandfather.
If it's a fake, it's resale/insurance value would be zero. But it would still be your grandfather's watch.
The way to find out exactly what it is / what model / age / etc is to open the caseback and have a peek inside. Since you probably don't have tools and experience, take it to a watchmaker and have them open it.

While you're there, take a good picture of the mechanism.
Mind you- the local guy on the street corner who "fixes watches" is likely to not be competent at all, and probably only knows how to replace batteries, so be very careful.

Like 1
50s/60s would match the general idea of when my grandfather bought it.
I'm more than happy to spend more than it's worth on the open market for a decent service. Hell, I'm happy to have it serviced even if it's a knock off. I've worn it heaps over the years, at all of the few formal occasions I've been invited to, just recently removed the junk band I had on there.

Welcome to the forum, nice that you have an heirloom from your grandfather. I don’t know much about Omega but I think I know enough about vintage watches to venture that it’s probably a legit Omega movement in there, from the early 1950s as the dial style suggests.

It may have been originally gold plated and have undergone a case change — but it looks like a good quality steel case now. (Omega or not).
The seconds hand could be a replacement.

if it’s not been serviced in 20 years you should not wear it regularly as the movement could be damaged by seized oils and accumulated dust inside. You may think it’s cooperatinf but you’re causing stress inside.

If you tell us what country and city you live in people may be able to recommend a good professional watchmaker in your area. That’s who you should bring it to in order to get it opened- a jeweler or sloppy watchmaker could cause a bad scratch, and the damage will be permanent.

Happy to be corrected if any of the above is wrong.
Edited:

Like 4
50s/60s would match the general idea of when my grandfather bought it.
I'm more than happy to spend more than it's worth on the open market for a decent service. Hell, I'm happy to have it serviced even if it's a knock off. I've worn it heaps over the years, at all of the few formal occasions I've been invited to, just recently removed the junk band I had on there.
Vintage mechanical watches need to be serviced regularly, or the oils dry out and the gears start to chew each other up. It may continue to run "just fine" without service, but then someday it will stop. And then you'll be looking at major repairs, rather than light maintenance.

It's like a car, in that.
However, cars are meant to be used, wore out and replaced.
A decent watch, if looked after could last a few lifetimes or several.
Looks like this one already has!

Like 1
Thanks All! I certainly get the car analogy, particularly considering I own a 1967 Plymouth, and a '56 Plymouth before that.
I'm in Brisbane, Australia - if anyone has recommendations regarding where I can take it for a service.

Maybe do a search for watchmaker in Brisbane- it’s quite possible someone already posted a query about it.
There are several such threads already existing on the forum and the forum has a sizeable contingent of members in Australia.

PS I should add the style of the indexes, which are directly embossed into the dial— ie printed into the dial plate as opposed to separate bits of metal affixed on top—suggests this was a good quality watch but moderately priced.

Which is why I am surmising the original case may have been gold plated instead of a more high end solid gold which your grand father may have gotten changed after sustaining rhe typical damage of many years of wear. The current case may be unbranded but offers more strength and water resistance than a gold plated or chrome plated case.

If I am correct it tells the story of a trusty wearer your grand father maintained not as a collectable, but for its function as a daily companion.

Now I could be totally wrong and the case could bear Omega markings inside, as well as scratched up service marks.
Edited:

One of the members here, watchyouwant (Achim) is based in Australia and will be able to address you to a sensible watchmaker.

As a gut feeling, looks a bit of a mix of parts, some compatbile with a late 40s , some more recent. The back I have seen in many Omega - not exclusively , but the ribbed case is not. Movement serial number would tell more.

Like 1
Completely legit.
Most likely a local Australian produced case (Handley?) housing a caliber 420.
Looks like the red seconds hand and the crystal have been replaced with generic items.

I've seen one or two identical on local eBay and I think I have one somewhere.
Edited:

Like 7
Bingo! Caliber 420. Interestingly, one of the first images in a google search was for one on ebay (not so surprising) with the same case!
And being that Google is now basically a shopping website, I can see that the typical price is around $500 USD or so, which is perfect. Makes me more comfortable to keep using it when the opportunity arises.
Now, off to find a watch maker to service it.....
Thanks everyone.

Like 2
I like your thought process. Those are the watches I love to see. My grandfathers bulova means more to me than any watch I have. I’m not one of those people loaded up on rolexes etc but I have a few watches that are kinda up the scale a bit, I say that modestly. What you have right there is priceless to you and always will be. Enjoy.

Like 1
I have my grandpa’s Benrus and it’s worth every bit of it’s $20, and I’m figuring to spend a couple hundred on its repair.

it’s not about the money.

Like 1
Thanks everyone! Already dropped off for a service. Found a place that that had ~150 google reviews, every single one a 5 star.
Dropped in to show them the watch and talk about it. Turns out they're Omega fans and were literally excited to have it to service. The guy that initially served me even call over the head guy to check it out! The head guy/owner(?) was even wearing a very similar one.
They even looked up when it was built for me - 1952!

I'm confident I've left it in good hands. Will get it back in 3 weeks. They're going to give it a decent overhaul and service, including replacing the glass with 'original'... although I assume that's just a factory omega glass, not era specific. Got to say, I'm pretty excited about this.
Although, I do need to give them a call and see if they can replace that red second hand with something more appropriate.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm really excited to see how it comes out at the end. I reckon the price for what they'll be doing is pretty good too - not that I've ever had a watch serviced.

Bonus is I've told my Dad all about it, he's super stoked about it. He even want's to come with me to pick it up when it's ready!

Like 7
Enjoy! You do know we need a wrist shot after service before closing this thread? :D

Congrats! Cool piece and great story.
I’m also glad my guess of early 50’s was right ;)

Like 1
Call them and tell them, you want the red paint removed from the Center second hand and used it again without the paint. And do yourself a favour and ask for a ball park figure for the service.....

Call them and tell them, you want the red paint removed from the Center second hand and used it again without the paint. And do yourself a favour and ask for a ball park figure for the service.....

and you need to ask them how they intend to remove the paint.
If they say "Ah we'll just buff it off, should be the go" (or something similar) then you need to cease all work and find another watchmaker.

Like 1
Hey Jim and WYW, thanks for the advice - do you know something about this crew? (PM me if needed).
They've given me a written quote for the work, which includes new plexiglass and watchband. Based on Timecubes comment above re: service costs, this is within that ball park (considerably less if timecube was speaking in USD).

But circling back to the red second hand - why would this be the original painted red and not just a red replacement hand?
If there's evidence that it was painted red, then that was clearly something my grandfather requested at some point in the life of the watch, and I'll then keep it as is.

And thanks again to everyone for the support and advice!

Like 1